Not Getting COVID Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My teenage son's doctor strongly advised against a vaccine for him for multiple reasons. Several of the reasons include multiple severe allergies, and prior adverse vaccine reactions. I trust his doctor (multiple doctors actually - cardiologist, allergist, and primary care) to advise, based on their knowlege of science and my son.

My daughter's doctors (endocrinologist and primary care) advised a "wait and see" approach, and recommended a specific vaccine type strongly as having a lower risk for those with auto-immune conditions. My daughter also had minor vaccine reactions a a child; as well as a life-threatening vaccine reaction last summer. My daughter also has researched quite a bit, and isn't "anti-vax" but is 18 and will continue to follow her doctor's recommendations and take the recommended vaccine type only if required. If she does, she would need to take at least a week from work and school, and be observed 24/7.

I should add that I was vaccinated with the same brand of vaccine recommended for my daughter over two months ago. I wanted to be familiar with the process, with a full understanding that my "reaction" in no way would predict my daughter's. Both have had all of their childhood vaccines, so we are in no way an "anti-vax" family.

With these issues, we have taken lots of steps to support and enhance our immune systems; lots of healthy and clean eating, exercise, sleep, water, and vitamins. We were rarely "sick" before, and consider ourselved very blessed to have the support of great medical professionals.

I am on the fence and change my mind weekly. I have not had COVID and am concerned about long-term effects if I were to get it, but I am also nervous about the vaccine that has not been tested for long-term effects either. I would like to wait at least a year to see if anything pops up with the vaccines, but also realizing I am risking catching COVID in the meantime.

Loss of my left tube, cervix, and uterus to endometriosis. The disease is so embedded in my pelvic region and it has spread to my other organs making me stage 5 according to Australia’s definition of the disease. My lifespan is already shorten due to this. Just the fact there’s reports of the Covid vax causing issues in that area, I’m not chancing the vax to do further damage compared to what I already live with on a daily basis. Plus there’s my family medical history of blood clots and strokes with all the women. It’s a 100% no Covid vax for me.

I have family members who are not planning on getting vaccinated in the near future since they had the virus and are in general good health.
One friend is terrified of getting the vaccine due to a childhood reaction to a vaccine. She had an appt and cancelled at last minute.
I decided to take the vaccine despite having had the virus because of existing health issues.
So tired of all the bullying over this issue.

There are solid science based reasons to be concerned about the vaccine in a tiny minority of the population, and then there is the rest. Do your research and make an informed decision.

My adult son got Covid in Japan a year ago, and again in the US just recently. Just fyi--in our family experience, getting Covid didn't provide long lasting immunity.
Interestingly, not an hour ago our provincial health authority gave a press conference discussing the fact that persons infected with the original strain (like perhaps your son was early on) have very little resistance to the variants that are now entirely dominant in North America.

Thank you and thank you for starting this thread and hopefully you don't get too bashed. :goodvibes
Thanks! I saw all the other threads were related to getting the vaccine so I figured that we should have our own thread. And not worried about the bashing. :confused3:flower1:

We are not getting it at this time because I am uncomfortable with the amount of time that it has been tested. We really don't know what the long term effects of it are, and won't for some time. I am also uncomfortable with the information on the virus and how to combat it changing sometimes daily and we are told that it is a virus and we should accept these changes and not question them. However, with the vaccine we are to just take it and believe that it is safe. This coming from the same people who don't have a handle on the virus itself.

In the end, I try and keep my vaccination status to myself as it seems like those who are choosing to wait (or not get it at all) are being asked to justify their reasons and then others will tell them if their reasons are valid or not. Most seem to think there is NO valid reason to not get it, so why bother getting into it with those people? They don't actually want to hear your opinion, they just want to bully you into getting one. Just look at this thread. The question was asked why people are not getting the vaccine and there are more people here telling others that they don't have valid reasons or bullying.
I agree there is a lot of bullying and pushing of the media narrative that EVERYONE must have the vaccine. There are many valid reasons for not getting the vaccine as we can see here. Thanks for sharing!

I am vaccinated, but I have a friend who will not get the vaccine. He had some sort of blood disease as a child and his doctor advises against him getting the vaccine.

I do wish more people would get vaccinated to protect those like my friend who can't get vaccinated for health reasons. Also, the more people vaccinated the less spread and less stress on the health care system. Health care professionals have been through heck this past year, working in the trenches when we knew very little about Covid. I just can't in good conscience NOT get vaccinated after seeing what they went through.

I do respect peoples right to decide what is best for them but hope that eventually those that can get vaccinated will. Kind of like at the beginning we kept hearing, "we are all in this together." IDK I guess I am kind of worried not enough will get the vaccine and we will have another rough fall/winter.
Like another poster said we will be fine here in the states. One thing that is not talked about in the media is that all the people who have had COVID and recovered contribute to herd immunity. We will likely have a few pockets in the fall when it comes around again but nothing like we saw in the past. I hope that makes you feel better.

My teenage son's doctor strongly advised against a vaccine for him for multiple reasons. Several of the reasons include multiple severe allergies, and prior adverse vaccine reactions. I trust his doctor (multiple doctors actually - cardiologist, allergist, and primary care) to advise, based on their knowlege of science and my son.

My daughter's doctors (endocrinologist and primary care) advised a "wait and see" approach, and recommended a specific vaccine type strongly as having a lower risk for those with auto-immune conditions. My daughter also had minor vaccine reactions a a child; as well as a life-threatening vaccine reaction last summer. My daughter also has researched quite a bit, and isn't "anti-vax" but is 18 and will continue to follow her doctor's recommendations and take the recommended vaccine type only if required. If she does, she would need to take at least a week from work and school, and be observed 24/7.

I should add that I was vaccinated with the same brand of vaccine recommended for my daughter over two months ago. I wanted to be familiar with the process, with a full understanding that my "reaction" in no way would predict my daughter's. Both have had all of their childhood vaccines, so we are in no way an "anti-vax" family.

With these issues, we have taken lots of steps to support and enhance our immune systems; lots of healthy and clean eating, exercise, sleep, water, and vitamins. We were rarely "sick" before, and consider ourselved very blessed to have the support of great medical professionals.
I'm sorry for the vaccine reactions in your family. It happens more than people want to believe. 😢

And yes!! We all should be doing what we can to optimize our bodies. Get out and walk more in nature, ensure we have the right level of vitamins & minerals so that we function properly. Another thing that doesn't really get talked about are COVID treatments like the Regeneron monoclonal antibodies. I have heard really great things about that drug. We probably aren't using it enough (I know it is very expensive but still).

I am on the fence and change my mind weekly. I have not had COVID and am concerned about long-term effects if I were to get it, but I am also nervous about the vaccine that has not been tested for long-term effects either. I would like to wait at least a year to see if anything pops up with the vaccines, but also realizing I am risking catching COVID in the meantime.
It is a hard choice to make. Don't forget there are a number of drugs to be used against COVID as well as more that are being studied. Furthermore definitely make sure you are optimizing your Vitamin D and zinc levels as those were also shown to effect COVID severity. You can get your levels fairly easily. Hope you stay healthy!

Loss of my left tube, cervix, and uterus to endometriosis. The disease is so embedded in my pelvic region and it has spread to my other organs making me stage 5 according to Australia’s definition of the disease. My lifespan is already shorten due to this. Just the fact there’s reports of the Covid vax causing issues in that area, I’m not chancing the vax to do further damage compared to what I already live with on a daily basis. Plus there’s my family medical history of blood clots and strokes with all the women. It’s a 100% no Covid vax for me.
So sorry to hear about your issues. Sending healing thoughts your way and hope you get better!

I have family members who are not planning on getting vaccinated in the near future since they had the virus and are in general good health.
One friend is terrified of getting the vaccine due to a childhood reaction to a vaccine. She had an appt and cancelled at last minute.
I decided to take the vaccine despite having had the virus because of existing health issues.
So tired of all the bullying over this issue.
Yes, it is the bullying but mostly the divisiveness of this whole thing. The media really gets people going.

Interestingly, not an hour ago our provincial health authority gave a press conference discussing the fact that persons infected with the original strain (like perhaps your son was early on) have very little resistance to the variants that are now entirely dominant in North America.
That is interesting as most of the research I have seen has said otherwise. But admittedly not every immune system reacts the same way... :confused3

Hi Everyone! I know there are a bunch of us here on the DIS that aren't getting the COVID vaccine for one reason or another. I personally have had COVID already and based on the research feel that I have a pretty robust immunity now to COVID. What are your reasons for not getting the vaccine?

Count me in as not getting it. I’ve had it so I’ll take the natural immunity over an experiment.

That is interesting as most of the research I have seen has said otherwise. But admittedly not every immune system reacts the same way... :confused3
One thing is for sure - there is still a good deal of conflicting information, depending on what sources are referenced. I've personally been vaccinated to hopefully be freed from Covid restrictions more than anything. I don't have a strong response to anyone who had decided not to, whatever their reasons.

One thing is for sure - there is still a good deal of conflicting information, depending on what sources are referenced. I've personally been vaccinated to hopefully be freed from Covid restrictions more than anything. I don't have a strong response to anyone who had decided not to, whatever their reasons.

Yep. I just take more precautions. Nothing else I can do.

Stores have moved to recommend masks here in AZ, which means most people aren’t wearing one other than employees. I’m wearing mine because I don’t trust other people to care about my health. This much is super clear following this pandemic.

For those hoping natural immunity will protect them, I wish them the best luck.

Its always best to have both sides of the coin when making sure things are working and or safe. They will keep testing non vaccinated and vaccinated to see how the antibodies work and how long they last. I hope that between both parties the folks who cant take it are protected by default which would be the goal here.

Its always best to have both sides of the coin when making sure things are working and or safe. They will keep testing non vaccinated and vaccinated to see how the antibodies work and how long they last. I hope that between both parties the folks who cant take it are protected by default which would be the goal here.
Yes, as the science evolves I may change my mind. But for now all the research I have seen shows that natural immunity will be long lasting and currently able to handle all the variants.

Sorry I was referring to those who have not had the virus.
Thanks for clarifying! I will say that I do think that when I next get a cold I will likely wear a mask in public to not share my germs. I don't think they are that protective but every little bit helps!

In the end, I try and keep my vaccination status to myself as it seems like those who are choosing to wait (or not get it at all) are being asked to justify their reasons and then others will tell them if their reasons are valid or not.

Couldn't agree more. A friend shared with me how she is responding to people when they ask her what her vaccination status is: "Sorry, I believe that personal medical information is private and I am not sharing it with others." And I don't know if she is vaccinated or not, she TRULY isn't sharing that information with anyone, 😄 I would also never dream of asking her, nor anyone else for that matter, but I know that I have certainly been asked numerous times by others, so far only people who have had a shot.

I will say too that "No" and "Yes" are also sufficient answers. Why we feel we need to explain our medical choices really confuses me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter