Not getting same opportunity at work....

Snowflakey

DIS Veteran
Looking for "what do you think" positive replies.

Work went remote when covid hit. They are asking people to "lean into" coming back a day or two. Nothing is being recorded or monitored. There is a core group that does and has been going into the office.

A little background, my office works with clients (who are all out of state) and several employees are on teams where they interact on a daily basis. My position however is independent. Nothing to do with clients or co-workers.

I requested to remain remote by submitting a formal exception with a full 2 page letter supporting my request however was told it was denied and I need to come in. I'm a great employee who every year gets the highest ratings on my review.

My concern is several other managers have allowed their co-workers to remain remote. I know of 4 employees who are home WITH their young children. Our office isn't that large - 30-40 employees.

So why do I have to come in when others don't? Why did I follow the rules by submitting an exception request when others didn't have to but can remain remote?

There is so much more to this that supports my side that I won't spill to strangers :) but my question to you is what do you think about this? I feel they aren't treating people equally and it is obvious to me it all depends on who you have as a manager as to what you get as benefits, which again, is unfair.

Replies such as "they are telling you to come in so do it" aren't needed. I know what they are asking and I'm abiding. I just don't like how things aren't equal when the request to lean into coming back was directed to everyone.

I worked in an organization with a para military structure so really can’t sympathize but I do agree that you all should be treated the same if all other factors are equal and all should be expected to report for duty at the brick and mortar workplace …

Since I work in a secure facility and at no time was able to work from home for other one day every two weeks, I have no sympathy for folks that complain about having to come into the office 2 or 3 days a week. This is the way it was before COVID and things should return to that way.

I guess you would need to know both sides of the story to really know if your manager was treating people differently. One never knows what is going on behind scenes in management and what appears as one team being treated differently might actually have a good reason (or at least upper management thinks it's a good reason). Having been on the management side and the employee side I have the disadvantage of seeing both. I guess my only suggestion would be if it really bothered you, to go to HR and/or go higher up the chain to find out if you just have a bad team manager or if there is a higher reason. Good luck, I know it sucks.

Yeah - this is going to become more and more common unfortunately.

In the end it is often up to the direct manager and how they want their team to work.
There are managers who need to have everyone in the office where they can watch them, and often for no good reason at all.

It also depends on what your team does. They may feel that there is that need for the team to be in the office a few days a week.

I was recently laid of from my company and I am sure a big part of the reason was that I was there no longer near an office and there was someone who was. When you are building and designing things there is a value of being in the same room with a white board that you just don't get via zoom. There are things that are lost.

That said - I have seen situation where people are required to come in two days a week - and there is very little crossover, so why are they coming in two days a week. It is pointless except they have a control freak manager.

If you all do the exact same job then it comes down to a bad manager most likely, but not sure there is much or anything you can do about it other than try and change teams.

You could speak to HR, but they are not really on your side no matter how much they pretend they are.

Since I work in a secure facility and at no time was able to work from home for other one day every two weeks, I have no sympathy for folks that complain about having to come into the office 2 or 3 days a week. This is the way it was before COVID and things should return to that way.
Well, I'm not complaining nor asking for your sympathy

I guess you would need to know both sides of the story to really know if your manager was treating people differently. One never knows what is going on behind scenes in management and what appears as one team being treated differently might actually have a good reason (or at least upper management thinks it's a good reason). Having been on the management side and the employee side I have the disadvantage of seeing both. I guess my only suggestion would be if it really bothered you, to go to HR and/or go higher up the chain to find out if you just have a bad team manager or if there is a higher reason. Good luck, I know it sucks.
Thanks for your reply. And I've been on both side also, being a manager for many years in a previous job. I have a pretty good sense of both sides as any employee I've spoken to that is fully remote has said there is not special circumstances other than their manager doesn't ask for them to go in

Unfortunately, it sounds like where you work the ability to make those decisions lies with the individual manager and what their preference is for in-office work. I think you might have a case if the same manager was treating his employees differently, but it just sounds like you've got the stickler manager. There's not much you can do about it if that's the company policy. Not that it helps, but it situations like this, the stickler manager is usually the first to lose good employees.

Now if you work for a company that considers all positions "equal" despite the manager, you might be able to make a case with HR.

You could speak to HR, but they are not really on your side no matter how much they pretend they are.
So true :) I'm not looking to go that far, nor to start anything. I'm just one who treats all equal and I'm disappointed that I'm seeing this isn't happening.

Well, sometimes a crisis like a pandemic can have a silver lining, and remote work is one of them. And not just for the employee, who has a more balanced work/life situation, but for employers as well.

Did you know that we're experiencing a productivity boom in this country right now? It's one of the reasons why we've gone through a period of very high inflation without job losses or a recession. One argument made from employers trying to get people back in the office is that they are seeing a drop in productivity. Well, the data proves otherwise..big time.

Just because you had no choice but to go into work....doesn't mean that others should have to, or that it makes their companies any more successful. It's just an old way of thinking. The world has changed.

Was your reason for continuing remote work the same/similar as the employees who were granted 100% remote?

Well, sometimes a crisis like a pandemic can have a silver lining, and remote work is one of them. And not just for the employee, who has a more balanced work/life situation, but for employers as well.

Did you know that we're experiencing a productivity boom in this country right now? It's one of the reasons why we've gone through a period of very high inflation without job losses or a recession. One argument made from employers trying to get people back in the office is that they are seeing a drop in productivity. Well, the data proves otherwise..big time.

Just because you had no choice but to go into work....doesn't mean that others should have to, or that it makes their companies any more successful. It's just an old way of thinking. The world has changed.
Thank you

Well didn’t say you were asking for my sympathy and you won’t get it however you most certainly are complaining … name says it all I should have known….we are done here have a magical day!!
What name says it all? My user name? Wow.......as mentioned here several time, my user name was chosen at the time I was going through radiation treatment for cancer at age 45. It was during the wintertime and I was helping a young girl who was also going through radiation. We made paper snowflakes and hung them all around the cancer floor and she started calling me Mrs. Snowflakey.

Wishing you peace......

Was your reason for continuing remote work the same/similar as the employees who were granted 100% remote?
All other employees who are 100% remote never submitted an exception request (which was policy to do so). They were just able to.....

It is all over the place.
My employer, my wife's and my daughters went back into the office full time in June 2021. I was remote for 15 months. My wife never was remote. My daughter was remote 3 days a week, in office 2 days.
My son, his employer doesn't have an office anymore so everyone is remote. They let their lease expire in 2022. They had their first in person meeting in June of 2023 and they had to rent a hotel conference room and fly people in because some, like my son, moved 400 miles away. And several of their new hires don't even live in this state.

Different managers, different management styles.

Doesn't feel fair, but watcha gonna do?

I'm also one who can not work remotely.

But dh has had a manager like this and dh just rolled with it. He's not looking to impress anyone or rock the boat. He just wants to keep his job until he can retire in 10 years.

I understand it seems unfair that others can stay remote and you can't, but unfortunately it seems to be up to your manager. This seems very common to me in most work places.

I work part time for a large company with many different departments. Each department head decides for their team how often the need to come in. Some teams are totally remote, others have to come in 1-2 days per week and some teams go in 5 days a week. Does not matter what another team is doing, you do what your boss says.

If I were in your position, I would start going in one day a week. You can always ask to go back to being remote when they see there is no pressing need for you to physically be in the office. I would not take it up with HR just yet, not worth it for one day. I would give it time and ask again in a few months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter