Not getting same opportunity at work....

@Snowflakey Can’t help you.

Different yet similar circumstances that caused me to leave the corporate rat race. One rule for you, another for others. I didn’t have the time OR patience.
Wishing you good luck.

I’m curious about how you know what others did.

Also, what reason was given for refusing your request?

It does seem that two pages may have been overkill and probably didn’t help your case.

I would love a job that requires only a day or two in the office, but I’m completely empathetic to your new lifestyle and a desire to continue.

I also agree that most companies have thrived with remote employees. The only plausible argument I’ve heard for making employees come back is the difficulty in training new hires with everyone remote. Other than that, morale and productivity have boomed.

It seems that your only option is moving up the chain.
Others told me their work status. Never have I asked anyone. Most would say "are you at the office" and then go on to tell me how lucky they are that they don't have to. The only time I asked was when I said "how were you so lucky to stay remote" and they replied "having a boss who has 5 kids helps"......... wow

No reason was given except "your exception was denied". I sent another email asking for a reason.

Without a doubt my productivity will decline when I'm in the office. At home my office is set up with everything I need at my reach. In the office, I will be constantly having to walk to another floor which is where the check printer is. The scanner is on another floor. I could go on and on about the benefits of being remote.

Would love to hear the managers side of this situation. They have a reason as to why what you do needs to be in person. Hard to really give an educated opinion when you’re holding back on details.
Good question. I asked my manager why I need to go in and she replied "so that we can check the box that you are coming in"

What about ALL THE BOXES for those who don't? I did respond saying that and she had no answer.

You said workers under other managers have different rules. Does everyone under YOUR manager have the same requirements you do as far as going to the office? If so, then yes, it is fair. If not, then I think you are justified in asking why you didn't get the same opportunity.

You can't compare your job requirements to those in another department. Some of my employees would do that when the sales & administration folks would get 1/2 days around holidays, but my folks had to work. The si.ple answer is "apply for a transfer". But of course my employees would ignore when those in other departments would get late calls, work early/late, etc because they were salary.

I understand how frustrating it might be but like others we don't know whys behind the other groups.

On the other hand you probably didn't intend to come off this way but you sound like above that your performance (I didn't quote that part but it's part of that) and your submission of the request should grant you being 100% remote just based on that and you see others didn't do that formality and presumably aren't as exemplary of an employee as you are did get that request. There may be things you are unaware are working against you that are related to that.

Is it possible there is better rapport those employees have with their managers or are performing differently with respects to their circumstances?

I agree your manager not coming in would almost make me think they were not a team player but it would also be helpful to know how they plan on working with teammates that are back in the office when they are not and what expectations they will have. Is it a micromanaging manager or someone who will utilize check ins sparingly, etc.

You say it's a small 30-40 employees but are you aware of each and every employee's stories to know that you're being treated unfairly as opposed to things you are not aware of? It came off to me that you might have thought having young children at home meant they were granted remoteness based on that but there may be other things going on.

If you're really bugged by this have an open conversation with your manager regarding why your request was not granted that way you can find out if it's performance related where it could be either you're so good they want you in the office or where you need improvement that you were not aware of. I'd keep the business of others out of it IMO as it would just come across like you're feeling entitled to 100% remote because others got it and you didn't. Keep the focus on you.
I know it is hard for others to understand what is written in a situation and place like this but in no way do I feel entitled. What I feel is frustrated that we aren't being treated equal. That it depends on who has what manager with the perks you get.

There really aren't "stories" to be told of others. They are just able to remain remote. Nothing discussed with management, no exception had to be done, nothing.

I have talked to my manager. The reply was "you need to so the box can be checked that you are".

You said workers under other managers have different rules. Does everyone under YOUR manager have the same requirements you do as far as going to the office? If so, then yes, it is fair. If not, then I think you are justified in asking why you didn't get the same opportunity.

You can't compare your job requirements to those in another department. Some of my employees would do that when the sales & administration folks would get 1/2 days around holidays, but my folks had to work. The si.ple answer is "apply for a transfer". But of course my employees would ignore when those in other departments would get late calls, work early/late, etc because they were salary.
No they don't have the same under my manager. She only manages 4 of us.

We aren't different departments. We are one.

S

SIXTY FOUR????????????? :rotfl2:I'm the OP and I sure as heck ain't 64

What name says it all? My user name? Wow.......as mentioned here several time, my user name was chosen at the time I was going through radiation treatment for cancer at age 45. It was during the wintertime and I was helping a young girl who was also going through radiation. We made paper snowflakes and hung them all around the cancer floor and she started calling me Mrs. Snowflakey.

Wishing you peace......

You joined in 2005 - you said your username (which is normally chosen at joining) was chosen b/c of your cancer treatment.

It's 2024. Something is now not adding up if you're not 64.

Unless you changed your username after joining...which I admit, I don't know if we can do that.

However, you might be being saved from yourself here. I wouldn’t want to be among the last people in an office to be working remote- they make the easiest targets for layoffs.
Perhaps sometimes, not always - it depends on a lot of factors, including the specific industry and job requirements. I have family members across the spectrum, from a defense dept worker who always had to go in, some hybrid from one or 2 days a week to once a month in office, and one fully remote who works on he opposite coast but is a key employee who has survived several rounds of layoffs (tech industry).

"so that we can check the box that you are coming in"
This also bring my back to my previous comment about future layoffs\restructuring

There are often things as a manager you cant chare with employees, and it may seem unfair, but you may find out that it keeps you employed. Having the box checked may save you.

Whether or not you want that is another question.
IMO - if there are layoffs always try to be in the early rounds...there is less money later..

regardless this is all speculation with limited info - but been an interesting discussion - hope it works out for you in the end

Others told me their work status. Never have I asked anyone. Most would say "are you at the office" and then go on to tell me how lucky they are that they don't have to. The only time I asked was when I said "how were you so lucky to stay remote" and they replied "having a boss who has 5 kids helps"......... wow

No reason was given except "your exception was denied". I sent another email asking for a reason.

Without a doubt my productivity will decline when I'm in the office. At home my office is set up with everything I need at my reach. In the office, I will be constantly having to walk to another floor which is where the check printer is. The scanner is on another floor. I could go on and on about the benefits of being remote.
If you need access to a check printer, that seems to indicate you handle paper. Who was handling the checks while you worked from home?

You joined in 2005 - you said your username (which is normally chosen at joining) was chosen b/c of your cancer treatment.

It's 2024. Something is now not adding up if you're not 64.

Unless you changed your username after joining...which I admit, I don't know if we can do that.
Yes changed username

So were you printing the checks at home instead? I ask because not many big companies would want employees printing and handling checks out of the office except perhaps in extenuating circumstances.
There are lots of bookkeepers and other office staff who work from home and print checks. My company does not even have a physical office. OP said their company has around 30 employees, so I would not consider that a "big" company.

Looking for "what do you think" positive replies.

Work went remote when covid hit. They are asking people to "lean into" coming back a day or two. Nothing is being recorded or monitored. There is a core group that does and has been going into the office.

A little background, my office works with clients (who are all out of state) and several employees are on teams where they interact on a daily basis. My position however is independent. Nothing to do with clients or co-workers.

I requested to remain remote by submitting a formal exception with a full 2 page letter supporting my request however was told it was denied and I need to come in. I'm a great employee who every year gets the highest ratings on my review.

My concern is several other managers have allowed their co-workers to remain remote. I know of 4 employees who are home WITH their young children. Our office isn't that large - 30-40 employees.

So why do I have to come in when others don't? Why did I follow the rules by submitting an exception request when others didn't have to but can remain remote?

There is so much more to this that supports my side that I won't spill to strangers :) but my question to you is what do you think about this? I feel they aren't treating people equally and it is obvious to me it all depends on who you have as a manager as to what you get as benefits, which again, is unfair.

Replies such as "they are telling you to come in so do it" aren't needed. I know what they are asking and I'm abiding. I just don't like how things aren't equal when the request to lean into coming back was directed to everyone.

I'm replying without reading the rest of the thread but the bolded part is what stands out to me. Other managers might view in-person vs remote differently than you manager. I know at my office different managers have vastly different opinions on how often people should be in the office even if, functionally, their job can be done 100% remote.

I'd have a sit down with your manager and ask why you need to come in. If one of my reports wanted clarity on a decision like this from me I'd give it to them and let them have their say. Depending on their reasoning I might even change my mind or adjust the scheduling.

I didn’t read every reply, but I still thought I’d chime in….

I’m all about being fair and consistent, but not every situation can be that way. I read somewhere that people are staying home with small children. Are they getting paid the same as before, or did they request a cut in pay so they can stay home and not send their children to daycare? (I know several people that did this).

Personally….I’ve never worked from home, and I still went into work every day through COVID (essential worker) and I’m immunocompromised. I understood how people worked from home during COVID, but I don’t understand it now. Many people I know have said how working at home has made them more introverted and less patient with people.

To each their own….but for me…..I love getting up, getting dressed for work, being with people and not being home all the time.

OP…..I wish you well, but if it’s time to go back into the office than you gotta do what you gotta do. It’s your job and they are paying you.

I know it is hard for others to understand what is written in a situation and place like this but in no way do I feel entitled. What I feel is frustrated that we aren't being treated equal. That it depends on who has what manager with the perks you get.

There really aren't "stories" to be told of others. They are just able to remain remote. Nothing discussed with management, no exception had to be done, nothing.

I have talked to my manager. The reply was "you need to so the box can be checked that you are".
Of course there are stories of other people.

Just like there's your story. You feel you're doing very well and assumedly have your prior performance to your understanding that you're going off of and submitted a report as requested. That's part of your story.

You don't know the ins and outs of all the other employees out there to know that you're being unfairly denied. You have a feeling and it's absolutely your prerogative to discuss the situation as it pertains to your request being denied. But that doesn't mean others are not doing what they should be doing either or exceeding what they are supposed to be doing. You're not necessarily being privy to that.

As far as entitled well I'm not saying that is inherently bad but by the very nature of your words you do feel like you should be able to be remote. Your plain and simple words of "I feel is frustrated that we aren't being treated equal." is in fact you feeling entitled to be remote, maybe your tenor with the company and/or age lends you to think you should get this remote aspect combined with your performance. In your eyes being treated equal means your request is granted at the expense of someone else. That yes does mean you feel entitled (again that's not inherently bad to say the word entitled). But in relation to my comment I was saying entitled as it relates to your discussion with your manager. It would be best IMO to leave out what others are getting and you're not because then "I'm supposed to be able to stay remote not tommy, sue, etc" becomes the focus.

As far as your reasoning your manager gave, it's purely my opinion but I think there's more to that than I think you're disclosing (and you don't have to disclose everything if there's missing information just saying my opinion here) OR you may be aware of. If a manager who is not going to be in the office says they "need to check a box that you are" (there?? I presume) perhaps there was not enough feedback of progress on your end going on while you were remote, perhaps performance was seen as better suited for you in the office, perhaps it was completely randomly chosen and you got the unlucky short straw. Perhaps it's all workplace norms where what's on paper doesn't do well in reality (i.e. we need peeps in the office just because).

I think everyone knows that different managers do things differently even if they shouldn't. I used to have managers that were highly invested in their employees lives and appreciated being told when things were going on and then I had managers who barely paid attention to their employees. That's why I mentioned rapport others may have with their managers that you may not be aware of.

Maybe I would have a different approach to your situation if it was more along the lines of seeing what you could do, if anything, to be able to be remote rather than coming across like others are getting something you feel you deserve.

There are lots of bookkeepers and other office staff who work from home and print checks. My company does not even have a physical office. OP said their company has around 30 employees, so I would not consider that a "big" company.
I think it's more dependent on the securities of the company (as in how they protect information), the set up of employees they have and just what information they are processing. The size of the company is less important although arguably in terms of protecting information larger companies may have the funds to have more checks and balances to what information can be obtained outside of the office but it's not a given.

That said companies that switched to remote when they were traditionally office space and handled what most of us would probably consider sensitive information were more shoe horned into remote situation and not all are suited (as a general statement) to remote work permanently. Some may have adapted to it especially if they adjusted their processes (some examples I've seen is usage of VPN's, purchasing of certain software, etc).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter