Not getting same opportunity at work....

I'm replying without reading the rest of the thread but the bolded part is what stands out to me. Other managers might view in-person vs remote differently than you manager. I know at my office different managers have vastly different opinions on how often people should be in the office even if, functionally, their job can be done 100% remote.

I'd have a sit down with your manager and ask why you need to come in. If one of my reports wanted clarity on a decision like this from me I'd give it to them and let them have their say. Depending on their reasoning I might even change my mind or adjust the scheduling.
Very true - the one thing here is the Manger does not go into the office. That just blows my mind.

In the end when the OP started the job I assume they went into the office full time.
There should be no expectation that after the pandemic that you would not return to the office - full time.
Even if you were hired 100% remote, I've seen that change and people have to make a decision to stay or not.

At the end of the day its a business and they need to run it as they see fit.

That said, in most cases if the job can be done at home, it probably should be.
Less office space, less utilities - its a big savings for the employer that falls back on the employee.
People forget there is a cost to working at home - I think its worth it - but there is a cost.

High Speed internet, electricity, water, AC, maybe building out a home office.
When you work at home you are also always on clock it seems, more so then when you go in.
So people see no issue with scheduling a meeting at 5PM on a Friday or calling you at 7PM or on a Saturday - when its not part of your job description.

Unless you set up very clear rules they may take advantage of you.

Very true - the one thing here is the Manger does not go into the office. That just blows my mind.

In the end when the OP started the job I assume they went into the office full time.
There should be no expectation that after the pandemic that you would not return to the office - full time.
Even if you were hired 100% remote, I've seen that change and people have to make a decision to stay or not.

At the end of the day its a business and they need to run it as they see fit.

That said, in most cases if the job can be done at home, it probably should be.
Less office space, less utilities - its a big savings for the employer that falls back on the employee.
People forget there is a cost to working at home - I think its worth it - but there is a cost.

High Speed internet, electricity, water, AC, maybe building out a home office.
When you work at home you are also always on clock it seems, more so then when you go in.
So people see no issue with scheduling a meeting at 5PM on a Friday or calling you at 7PM or on a Saturday - when its not part of your job description.

Unless you set up very clear rules they may take advantage of you.
I agree with you but would say that generally those fall backs in respect to work coming to you outside of normal work time is likely to be a function more to salaried employees as opposed to hourly due to labor laws and remote work may not have much of an interaction with that.

The insurance company I worked for I was hourly with a guaranteed base yearly salary expected to work 40 hours but if I worked a minute over 40 hours they legally had to pay me for that and as such work outside of my shift was strictly prohibited.

My husband has been salaried ever since he graduated college and has always has times where work was done when he got home or he gets a phone call and it's something he needs to answer. His present company he can work 2-3 times per week remote (though he has yet to do that unless weather or some other obligation was better for him to do so) and it has no bearing on what work he does outside of normal work time. He's working on presentations sometimes in the evening or on the weekend. As an hourly employee I would not have been able to do that unless I was being paid my hourly wage for that but for him it's just part of his overall employment.

I do agree with you about expectations that includes time zone considerations including country consideration if working with people outside of one's own country and what someone's work/life balance is. Some people thrive off of meetings at 5pm or 7pm Saturday phone calls (especially younger generations are seemingly wanting more of that) and some it's an intrusion to their lives. I think it's about looking at company policy, looking at your team and looking at individual needs. The OP may not want a 5pm meeting but another manager may have multiple employees who that's the best time. Def. agree you don't want to be taken advantaged of regardless.

They are asking people to "lean into" coming back a day or two. Nothing is being recorded or monitored.
To me this doesn't sound like a formal request to return to the office full time. More like what my office has done "we'd like to see more faces around here, try to come in a couple of days a week."

I requested to remain remote by submitting a formal exception with a full 2 page letter supporting my request however was told it was denied
Why did I follow the rules by submitting an exception request when others didn't have to but can remain remote?

In light of the above, did your manager actually instruct you to submit a formal exception request to remain remote? Or did you just go ahead and do that thinking it was policy? Absent a formal "return to the office" requirement, your formal request to remain remote may have been overkill and not necessary...especially since others didn't have to do one.

It also doesn't sound as though your manager denied the request to be remote. Since that was a formal request, it may have gone higher up. Did you have a conversation with your manager about why it was denied? Considering your manager doesn't go into the office regularly, it is very confusing why the request would be denied other than it was handled at a much higher level.

I'd try to go into the office a couple of days a week. More if they are truly requiring it. But also make sure to have a sit-down with your direct manager (maybe zoom if that's what's needed) to talk about the options. It sort of seems to me that you tried to follow official procedure when that may not have been necessary (at this point) and a simple discussion with your manager might have granted you the same "exception" that you see others doing.

To me this doesn't sound like a formal request to return to the office full time. More like what my office has done "we'd like to see more faces around here, try to come in a couple of days a week."

In light of the above, did your manager actually instruct you to submit a formal exception request to remain remote? Or did you just go ahead and do that thinking it was policy? Absent a formal "return to the office" requirement, your formal request to remain remote may have been overkill and not necessary...especially since others didn't have to do one.

It also doesn't sound as though your manager denied the request to be remote. Since that was a formal request, it may have gone higher up. Did you have a conversation with your manager about why it was denied? Considering your manager doesn't go into the office regularly, it is very confusing why the request would be denied other than it was handled at a much higher level.

I'd try to go into the office a couple of days a week. More if they are truly requiring it. But also make sure to have a sit-down with your direct manager (maybe zoom if that's what's needed) to talk about the options. It sort of seems to me that you tried to follow official procedure when that may not have been necessary (at this point) and a simple discussion with your manager might have granted you the same "exception" that you see others doing.
Yes my manager did request me to submit the formal exception. When it was communicated to "lean back" into coming in it was also noted there was an exception you could submit for full time remote.

My manager did deny the request. I asked her and it never went further.

************** UPDATE ********************

I had a zoom with my manager yesterday. Topic was about something else however she brought up the return to the office issue. Once again I explained everything I've said supporting why it makes better sense to remain remote also pointing out how many others are remote and didn't have to even submit an exception.

She agreed!! :faint: and went on saying "don't worry about going in".

What??? For months now I've been going back and forth on this and now a complete 180 degree turn! She acknowledge what I've been saying is the truth and right.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and support.

************** UPDATE ********************

I had a zoom with my manager yesterday. Topic was about something else however she brought up the return to the office issue. Once again I explained everything I've said supporting why it makes better sense to remain remote also pointing out how many others are remote and didn't have to even submit an exception.

She agreed!! :faint: and went on saying "don't worry about going in".

What??? For months now I've been going back and forth on this and now a complete 180 degree turn! She acknowledge what I've been saying is the truth and right.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and support.
Good that you got a resolution to this. I know how the unfairness stuff can just cause a lot of stress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter