Not going. Back to planning

trompettecon

Mouseketeer
Cancelling our January 3rd trip. Based on what we are seeing here in Canada and Northern U.S., it's only a matter of time until this hits Florida. Super disappointed but the upside is I'm back to the best part of taking a vacation: PLANNING! Wishing everyone safe travels if you do decide to go.

Cancelling our January 3rd trip. Based on what we are seeing here in Canada and Northern U.S., it's only a matter of time until this hits Florida. Super disappointed but the upside is I'm back to the best part of taking a vacation: PLANNING! Wishing everyone safe travels if you do decide to go.

It looks like it has started (in the last days) in Florida as well.

We're waiting to see if travel advisories will go back to Level 4 in order to make a decision.

I booked a trip to the Dominican Republic for January. I have to either pay or cancel by December 27th. I know we are not going but I can't stand the thought of canceling until the last possible moment. I was so looking forward to this. We were to stay for 10 days and my DD and her friends were coming to join us for the last couple of days then stay on after we left. They have decided to still go but I think I'm going to offer to pay the cost for all of them if they will delay it a couple of months. I think they would have to make the changes by January 1st.

I cancelled a 10 day desert hiking holiday as soon as the avoid nonessential travel advisory was announced. We were supposed to fly into Vegas on February 10, rent a car and go to Sedona/Grand Canyon/Death Valley/ Joshua Tree. Things are only going to get worse and I don't want to risk getting infected. I'm not worried about getting very sick ( 1 AZ and 2 Pfizers...so far) but holidays are supposed to be relaxing and fun. There is nothing relaxing or fun about scrambling to find insurance, reliable tests, testing positive and having to quarantine or even just worrying about testing positive. Initially we were supposed to go to US and WDW but changed that in September when Delta was bad. Omicron is even worse in terms of transmissibility. For me travel isn't worth the stress and hassle. Next tentatively planned trips are NYC in October 2022 and Universal in March 2023 but I'll be cancelling if the pandemic is still raging and we are still required to test and mask. I've told my travel buddy (daughter) that when we finally do go, we'll go big!

Us too. We were due to leave for our epic Disney and Universal extravaganza on January 2nd and we pulled the plug due to all the uncertainty.
I’m ready to pick new dates… mostly because if I don’t it’s too hard to get both my young adults schedules to match up. I also need to use the DVC rental credit I have and its really hard to find something without a lot of advanced planning.

So … when are we thinking it‘s even safe to plan for again? I would love March break but I would need to book asap and who knows where we will be case count wise. I will be triple vacced and ready to go but not while there are so many restrictions. My next best option is summer. I don’t love the idea of the heat but both my kids will have time off.

I would love to hear when people think it will be safe to plan for again.

Us too. We were due to leave for our epic Disney and Universal extravaganza on January 2nd and we pulled the plug due to all the uncertainty.
I’m ready to pick new dates… mostly because if I don’t it’s too hard to get both my young adults schedules to match up. I also need to use the DVC rental credit I have and its really hard to find something without a lot of advanced planning.

So … when are we thinking it‘s even safe to plan for again? I would love March break but I would need to book asap and who knows where we will be case count wise. I will be triple vacced and ready to go but not while there are so many restrictions. My next best option is summer. I don’t love the idea of the heat but both my kids will have time off.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm not even going to think about March Break because I don't want to be disappointed again. I figure if things are looking awesome in March we could just drive over the border for a quick getaway somewhere. We've now cancelled two trips. I am guessing that the summer will be fine. Yes, it's super hot but at this point I don't care, ha ha ha. Now that I've gotten over the disappointment of not being there right now, I'm thinking that I do not want to go if we have to deal with testing to come back and with masks (especially in the hot weather). Let's hope the Omicron is the beginning of the end!

I think I’m looking at late May. We’ve been that time before. The weather is great. My husband can’t go in the summer because of his work with the Pan Am games, and my daughter can’t take any school time off because she works in a school. So I think Dh and ds17 and I will try for Disney in May. Then I will try to go to Universal for four or five days with my kids in the summer. Seems to be the only thing that will work for all of us.

I hope March will be OK. As ICU admissions are not increasing greatly so far, hoping it will stay mild. It’s not so much Covid complications IMO but the hassle of crossing the border during these times that makes travel iffy… again. Also, will the travel advisory go up to 4? The current level 3 is really not the same as closed borders and the government saying avoid all travel. You can still go.
We did not cancel when the current advisory was announced just 3 days before our WDW trip (we got back today) and I’m glad we didn’t. It was absolutely worth it and much needed for our mental health.
I will be however cancelling our January cruise vacation, I want to make sure things don’t get worse and more restrictions such as quarantine are not announced, but overall my advice is... Go as soon as you can once the current situation stabilizes.
I am also back to planning (as we are cancelling our January 2022 vacation) happy planning to everyone:)

I'm worried about March now. I hope we'll be able to go but am getting prepared that we may not be able to, with so many people getting covid now, omicron seems to be spreading crazy fast, and with the cruise line no longer offering testing onboard it adds an extra hoop to my trip. We'll see. I really want to get away this winter.

I'm worried about March now. I hope we'll be able to go but am getting prepared that we may not be able to, with so many people getting covid now, omicron seems to be spreading crazy fast, and with the cruise line no longer offering testing onboard it adds an extra hoop to my trip. We'll see. I really want to get away this winter.
I still think you have a good chance- South Africa is showing this is mild and burns its way through the population very quickly. 🤞🏻 for you.

Im not a super fan of summer at Disney either but we canceled for a third time and have limited options. Summer seems to be the only “close to normal” of the past two years. I think we’ll likely extend our length of stay and take it more low key in order to deal with the Summer heat.

Im not a super fan of summer at Disney either but we canceled for a third time and have limited options. Summer seems to be the only “close to normal” of the past two years. I think we’ll likely extend our length of stay and take it more low key in order to deal with the Summer heat.
We did free dining in August for many years when the kids were younger. Late August is way less crowded. It’s totally doable if you pay attention to your limits and drink water even when you think you don’t need any more water. It’s an awesome time for the water parks and the pools too. We loved those trips. You’re right, they are slower paced but that can be a great thing.

I just rebooked some parts of our May trip. Flights down on Southwest with credits. Changed my tickets to May with no fees. I also put in a request for three nights at Animal Kingdom lodge with a DVC rental credit.

We have a callback scheduled with westjet for Wednesday and once we have that taken care of I will book our flight home with the credit. That just leaves the first five nights of the trip out of pocket. I’m booking those directly with Disney since they are so much easier to cancel with if it’s necessary.

I was also thinking about doing the same...stay longer but do less each day. We’ve been a couple of times in the summer and the weather is pretty awful. Having said that, a trip is what you make of it and I think in order to have a good time you have to build in a lot of rest time. I like going to a park in the morning, spending the afternoon at the resort pool and then heading out again in the evening.

I was also thinking about doing the same...stay longer but do less each day. We’ve been a couple of times in the summer and the weather is pretty awful. Having said that, a trip is what you make of it and I think in order to have a good time you have to build in a lot of rest time. I like going to a park in the morning, spending the afternoon at the resort pool and then heading out again in the evening.
We go pretty much every Aug. The deeper into Aug the better. Brits start to peter off at the end of that 3rd week, so as close to end of Aug as possible. High crowds AND heat makes us avoid the first 3 weeks if possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter