• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not just vegan but free S.O.S - HELP!

One trip my DH was doing no sugar, low salt, and avoiding meat. He had plain steamed fish for many meals (although I bet the chef at the signature place we ate at cried a little). Other times it was something with seitan but not often as those often had more salt/sugar/oil than he liked.

I have to say, we had only one meal where the chef offered to prepare us something special (all others it was just preparing his food plain - which was fine with us). So we got rather excited. Halfway through waiting, our server told us they were taking photos in the back kitchen. Oh boy! They brought out.....a plate of veggie sides. They were enjoyable enough, but I got a big laugh at the buildup and the excitement. That said, if they had offered it to DH, he would have chosen a plain salmon.

I understand that most people are on diets for different health reasons, but I can also see that if a restaurant has to make individual meals for even 10% of guests then they would definitely get behind or need to hire more staff. This would also raise already high food prices. Eating out is tough for people with healthy eating plans anywhere, so the only way to be sure you are eating to plan is bring your own food most of the time.

I agree with those who say to bring your own food. While Disney does an excellent job accommodating most requests, I think in the OP's case bringing food would be the best choice, especially with all of the restrictions.

WFPBNO friend here! What many of the posters here do not seem to know, is many who follow WFBPNO Vegan diet do so to prevent and reverse heart disease, diabetes, IBS, inflammation and the list goes on. I'll just leave it at that. ❤️
YES! thank you! and the WFPB journey has been amazing in so many levels! This is why I posted this bc I know i wasnt the only person in the planet trying free SOS or something similar.

our best choices of those you listed are MM (marinara sauce prepared with no oil)
I think that's what i'm going to go for, so lets hope for the best! Like usually when they cook pasta they add salt, so im hoping the wont add it if i request them not to. here is hoping!

We are going in May, Second year being WFBP Vegan and we can't wait! KUDOS to you for taking charge of your own health!
Thanks so much and you have a great trip as well!

OP, Another idea for protein is that it is possible is to use a "topping" too like nutritional yeast
THANK YOU!! I didn't think of this.. i'm 100% now going to bring some from home in a little ziplock bag!

I would recommend asking for red wine/apple cider vinegar instead of balsamic. Balsamic is loaded with sugar. Good luck!
Yes! there are Balsamic that have no added sugar (which is what i use at home) but i agree that many do HAVE sugar and I'll bet that that's the kind restaurants have. So great point!

Agree, i'm focusing in WFPB as its the cleanest way of eating. If i was standard vegan there would be a lot of this that have oil that I couldnt have! some day i'll add but not at this point. But also great article share.. thanks.

Hence, WFPB Vegan diet
Yeap! :) THat's the exactly my plan and going great so far.

You are so right! Balsamic vinegar has 5 grams of sugar per 2T serving. That is more than a lot of salad dressings. Your average ranch dressing has about that much sugar in 2T. Apple cider vinegar has nearly no sugar per 2T. Or try one of the wine vinegars. Red and white have basically no sugar as well. And really avoid balsamic reductions if you are cutting back on sugar. A tablespoon can have over 10grams of sugar alone.
Good point, thanks! ill see if they have wine vinegar.. if not ill result to lemon :)

All the vinegar talk is informative, but it's unlikely any restaurant will have more than two. Typically one.
Agree... but one can ask. Like i said, if not, lemon it is :)

they were taking photos in the back kitchen. Oh boy! They brought out.....a plate of veggie sides. They were enjoyable enough, but I got a big laugh at the buildup and the excitement
This story is hilarious and i believe it too! but that's really nice that your hubby got to eat healthy and they managed to prepared something for him!

but I can also see that if a restaurant has to make individual meals for even 10% of guests then they would definitely get behind or need to hire more staff.
I agree in a way, but if you think about it, they are making individual meals for every person (i would hope.. if its a nice restaurant.. except of course for the pre-prepped sauces and special items that take time, etc), but they are putting it all in a pan and cooking it, etc individually for every guest... I'm just asking not to at least add more salt or oil even at that stage. But yes, there is a limit with what restaurants can accommodate and I would respect that.

I agree with those who say to bring your own food. While Disney does an excellent job accommodating most requests, I think in the OP's case bringing food would be the best choice, especially with all of the restrictions.
Yes that would be ideal but i'm going w/ hubby and a group of friends and so we will have to eat at restaurants together.. for the QS and other things i think i'll be able to manage with fruit and oatmeal, etc. Ill just try my best with what i'm given. that's all :)

Give an inch, take a mile, right?

Asking is not taking.

Asking if they can make something that you’ll pay for isn’t taking.

Don't want to talk to a chef at a vacation resort about your specific needs? Then don't! But don't be mad or offended when someone else does. Disney specifically has chefs at each restaurant that deal with allergies and -yes- dietary "lifestyle requests"

Agreed.

I wouldn't ask to speak to chef.

If you ask even a small question about a dish they tend to send out a chef. This isn’t a massive issue for Disney. This is something that happens. They want to keep guests healthy, happy, and safe.

At some point, Disney started printing allergy menus, presumably to cut down on the number of people speaking to the chef.

I don’t think it was for that reason. If it were, their allergy menus would have made more sense than they do.

There was a recent thread on this very board about an allergy menu at one of the restaurants being incorrect (not updated), and at least one of the menu items listed as dairy-free was NOT dairy free.

Which is a spectacular reason TO talk to the chef and ignore the allergy menus.

He had plain steamed fish for many meals (although I bet the chef at the signature place we ate at cried a little).

Eh. If it’s a good chef they’ll make the fish good enough to be delicious. If they can’t, they aren’t a signature-level chef. Making things plain but good is a way to show off skills, IMO. Also shows the quality of the ingredients.

I never understood why people on this board always get so bent out of shape about other people making special requests. I know you think it is going to mess up your good thing by having a chef have to pay special attention to someone else but eesh, this is part of the business. EVERYWHERE. I've spent large portions of my life on one diet or another and sometimes I even just have a personal preference that is different than how something is prepared on the menu and I've never been shy about asking for things the way I want them (friends used to call me "Sally" after the movie When Harry Met Sally came out because I, too, "want it the way I want it".... not because of the other thing ;) ) I've never needed/wanted a direct talk with the actual chef and generally just express my preferences through the server even when I was breastfeeding and my son had a super sensitive dairy intolerance, if I ingested any he'd scream for days... so I was eating dairy free and yes, called it an allergy because I didn't want to listen to my baby scream for days over some accidentally ingested milk protein. I have never been blamed for the apocalypse of the restaurant business because of my special snowflake requests.

I agree that allergies are becoming a lot more common and the allergy menus standard is a great idea but I'm still gonna order things the way I want to order them, for whatever my personal reasons are at the time that are really none of your business at the next table.

You will have trouble at all of the counter service restaurants. Your best bet would be at the signature table service restaurants. The no salt will be the hardest. But they should be able to make steamed food for you. Just plan on waiting longer for your food. My grandma has extreme high blood pressure and is on 3 different high blood pressure medicines. But she still needs to ingest some salt since your body needs it. Just make sure that you consult your doctor before you cut out all salt from your diet because low sodium levels is dangerous for you.

Not to school you because you seem to have a solid plan, I would recommend asking for red wine/apple cider vinegar instead of balsamic. Balsamic is loaded with sugar. Good luck!

Some balsamic can have salt and others not so much, (I was recently surprised by a purchased balsamic that had a lot more sodium than the other almost finished bottle did, who knew?) as does marina which was mentioned here. It's easier to make no oil marina and let the tomatoes stand out than make a tomato based sauce with no salt.

OP - good for you for taking charge of your health and I hope it really keeps improving! I agree that asking for a chef each time seems like a pretty big ask though; is your party going to be ok with the extra time? Are you going to be with small kids? Just some thoughts, work it out before time and have a wonderful trip!

I’m amazed how many people assume you can’t cook flavorful food without salt/oil/sugar :confused3 there are a lot of awesome (no salt) spices in the world... good Luck OP!

How well I know this now that my husband started on a no added salt diet. We literally have a dozen different smallish containers, a number of which are from local suppliers.

I never understood why people on this board always get so bent out of shape about other people making special requests. I know you think it is going to mess up your good thing by having a chef have to pay special attention to someone else but eesh, this is part of the business. EVERYWHERE. I

Agreed - and the fact that Disney will specifically go the extra mile to make diners happy is all the more reason to take advantage of the premium service you are 100% paying for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter