Not sure $149 Disney After Hrs event is doing well... (ETA: reviews in 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to add my 2 cents as an observer. I was at WDW the first day this started, but didn't attend. It had rained prior to the extra hours. I'm curious to see if that rain prior had any deciding factor for someone who might have bought a ticket the night of?

I heard first hand accounts of how wonderful it was to walk right up and on the attractions. I didn't hear any accounts from anyone who actually purchased a ticket though.

I did hear some DVC friends who were there for the Darkside Challenge who didn't get an email invitation to go for free. So I'm not sure how the DVC invite process was done.

As an AP, if I got an email invite, I wouldn't turn it down! But I wouldn't pay $149 to attend. Though we have spent frivolously in the past with the $250/pp Rebel Rendezvous. Guess it just depends on what the offer includes.

It's not hard to imagine how nice it was. It would be by very much like the third hour of EMH from the past. And that was great. Not worth $149.00, but worth paying extra to stay on site.
In those days I could get good deals at Coronado through AAA though.

It's not hard to imagine how nice it was. It would be by very much like the third hour of EMH from the past. And that was great. Not worth $149.00, but worth paying extra to stay on site.
In those days I could get good deals at Coronado through AAA though.

Times have certainly changed. I remember paying $49 value, $79 mod, and $124 deluxe.

I remember from 1am to 2am riding Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin over and over without getting off.

It will be interesting to see how well received the rest of the nights go.

So my big question is since we will be guests at SSR thru May 5 and our stay was booked as a timeshare exchange via RCI, if the invite is offered again for dvc members would it come to us?

This post is exactly what I have been talking about.
Everything you just said is why WDW is not targeting you in this campaign. They're targeting people like me..the smaller families, or adult travelers, and everyone else I mentioned in my previous post.
For you there is no value. For me, it's not that much more than the price of a regular ticket...so I do one less day of park ticket and add this for my second MK day.

Not sure I necessarily agree with you on the target market for this event.
No matter how large or small the family is the price is still $149 each.
If adult travelers is the market, wouldnt they add some unique adult beverage offering to it - (yes, I know adult beverages are not available outside BOG).

My math doing a 1, 2 or 3 day ticket and adding this event VS. doing a 4 or 5 day ticket without this event.

2 adults, 1 child base ticket:
4 day ticket with 5th day free - 1024
3 day ticket 904 + your DAH tickets 450 = 1354
2 day ticket 650 + DAH tickets 450 = 1100
Single day MK 350 + DAH ticket 450 = 800

So my big question is since we will be guests at SSR thru May 5 and our stay was booked as a timeshare exchange via RCI, if the invite is offered again for dvc members would it come to us?

Are you a DVC member? If not then, no. If you are a member then yes.

Are you a DVC member? If not then, no. If you are a member then yes.

You know that for sure? Did they send it to all Dvc owners or just Dvc owners who were staying on site that nite? Did they send it to anyone who was staying onsite that nite as a guest of a Dvc owner? What was the process for collecting the pass?

I'm guessing you are right but I can always hope.

You know that for sure? Did they send it to all Dvc owners or just Dvc owners who were staying on site that nite? Did they send it to anyone who was staying onsite that nite as a guest of a Dvc owner?

They sent it to "some" DVC members staying on points at a DVC resort. Not sure why this is not easy to understand. DVC members get many offers, etc. due to being a member. If you are a DVC member then yes very possible you will get an email. If you are not a member then no. Many people stay at SSR that are not members.

Also are you the RCI member? Because if you are not, and you bought a RCI exchange into a DVC resort that is against their terms of use and your reservation if reported could be cancelled. If that is what happened I most certainly would not be bringing any attention to myself.

Guests of DVC members do not qualify for the perks of the member. Only DVC members received the necessary email.

Last edited:
If adult travelers is the market, wouldnt they add some unique adult beverage offering to it - (yes, I know adult beverages are not available outside BOG).

My math doing a 1, 2 or 3 day ticket and adding this event VS. doing a 4 or 5 day ticket without this event.

I think family size certainly does matter for the simple fact that my entire party of 2 can go for ~ $300 whereas my entire party of six has to pay ~$1000. That $700 and the late hours make it much more practical for my wife and I to consider this when we travel alone as opposed to if we were traveling as a party of six.

They sent it to "some" DVC members staying on points at a DVC resort. Not sure why this is not easy to understand. DVC members get many offers, etc. due to being a member. If you are a DVC member then yes very possible you will get an email. If you are not a member then no. Many people stay at SSR that are not members.

Also are you the RCI member? Because if you are not, and you bought a RCI exchange into a DVC resort that is against their terms of use and your reservation if reported could be cancelled. If that is what happened I most certainly would not be bringing any attention to myself.
No, my parents are RCI members and gave us this as a Xmas present. Paid for the rci guest cert. Have already talked direct with Dvc services and all is fine but thanks for the concern.

As for the rest, it's easy to understand what people are saying about this but I know from experience people can be wrong or not know the full story on any subject. Plus from other forums I've seen that guests of a Dvc owner could take advantage of the offer as well. Hence my questions, most of which have still not been answered. As I said above I think you are right.

Last edited:
This post is exactly what I have been talking about.
Everything you just said is why WDW is not targeting you in this campaign. They're targeting people like me..the smaller families, or adult travelers, and everyone else I mentioned in my previous post.
For you there is no value. For me, it's not that much more than the price of a regular ticket...so I do one less day of park ticket and add this for my second MK day.
Except that you pay very little extra for that one day if you get a multi-day ticket. I can kind of see the value if you only go to any Disney parks for a day or two but I doubt that Disney wants that.

For example I'd like to work in a quick trip to Universal in October. I could see us going to a Disney park given time so maybe this would be geared towards us? I wouldn't attend at that price point but it would be more valuable under those circumstances.

No, my parents are RCI members and gave us this as a Xmas present. Paid for the rci guest cert. Have already talked direct with Dvc services and all is fine but thanks for the concern.

As for the rest, it's easy to understand what people are saying about this but I know from experience people can be wrong or not know the full story on any subject. Plus from other forums I've seen that guests of a Dvc owner could take advantage of the offer as well. Hence my questions, most of which have still not been answered. As I said above I think you are right.

Yes guests, that went with the member. The DVC member was allowed to bring 3 nonmember guests. But you have to receive the email to be able to book the reservation and they only went out to DVC members. Enjoy your SSR stay, it is a great resort.

Count me in as someone who enjoys people in the park.

Taking my niece with no lines might be nice for a night, but we managed to do about everything in a day with crowds...

I'm not saying I want the park to be at capacity, but people watching is part of WDW for us!

Yes guests, that went with the member. The DVC member was allowed to bring 3 nonmember guests. But you have to receive the email to be able to book the reservation and they only went out to DVC members. Enjoy your SSR stay, it is a great resort.
Ahh thanks much. That settles it.

Much as I've been down on the concept if our family is still full of beans that evening buying this will be tempting.

I think family size certainly does matter for the simple fact that my entire party of 2 can go for ~ $300 whereas my entire party of six has to pay ~$1000. That $700 and the late hours make it much more practical for my wife and I to consider this when we travel alone as opposed to if we were traveling as a party of six.

I still disagree, it's value more than anything.

While we can afford it, it's of no value to us. Other families of 5 going for more than a couple days who can also afford it may find value in this.

You either find value in it no matter your family size or you don't.

I unapologetically stand by my strong and somewhat unpopular opinion that I wish for this event to be an epic failure.

My best.

Last edited:
Except that you pay very little extra for that one day if you get a multi-day ticket. I can kind of see the value if you only go to any Disney parks for a day or two but I doubt that Disney wants that.

For example I'd like to work in a quick trip to Universal in October. I could see us going to a Disney park given time so maybe this would be geared towards us? I wouldn't attend at that price point but it would be more valuable under those circumstances.

A 5th day free is not always offered, but is irrelevant because if more than 5 park days then no, this isn't a value.
4 days and under - yes to me that extra $330 between your 3 and 4 day costs would be worth it to me.. But again, that's me. I'll pay more IF I see value in something.
I see value in a monorail resort bc it makes my travel time to parks shorter and that convenience allows me to justify their stupid prices.
Spending extra for night hours, same thing I would do it because the value is there for me. We could do as much in that amount of time as it would take us an entire day to do. And the experience would be better with less people in the park.

I'm not trying to talk someone in to buying a ticket to this event. Just trying to throw some common sense out there.. No need to wish for something to fail. Especially if someone else can benefit from it.

You missed one key component. They have to provide enough value that those people don't go home and tell thousands of Facebook friends that it was the worst, most overpriced vacation evah. Historically Disney excels at that. No one makes you happier to part with your money than Disney. But they seem to be testing the limits of that this year. :cool:
Eh. I see negative reviews for Disney everywhere but anytime you see one with someone talking about what they perceived as issues there are four more who show up talking about "magic" and "pixie dust" to tell the person it was their fault for either expecting too much or not knowing every single trick to gaming the system. I don't think Disney cares as much about survey results and reviews as they once did because they have an army of people ready to defend anything they do and when people hear reviews they often do it looking for the one to support the decision they already make anyway.

Eh. I see negative reviews for Disney everywhere but anytime you see one with someone talking about what they perceived as issues there are four more who show up talking about "magic" and "pixie dust" to tell the person it was their fault for either expecting too much or not knowing every single trick to gaming the system. I don't think Disney cares as much about survey results and reviews as they once did because they have an army of people ready to defend anything they do and when people hear reviews they often do it looking for the one to support the decision they already make anyway.
I definitely spoke negatively about DCL on Facebook this past week! DCL summer '17 prices anyway..
People who still want to go will go.
I'll be doing Iceland with another line and I'm ok with that.. Sure, I wanted to go on DCL.. But I see ZERO value in their over the top, obnoxious, insane, unbelievable price point.
Yet..people still booked the exact cruise that I wanted and chose not to..those people still see value.

That's all what everything in life boils down to- Value or No Value.

Just returned from a week at WDW. What's more interesting to me is that I would've generally be unaware that this event even occurred if it weren't for DisBoards, WDWInfo, allears, and the negative press.

Just returned from a week at WDW. What's more interesting to me is that I would've generally be unaware that this event even occurred if it weren't for DisBoards, WDWInfo, allears, and the negative press.

That is an interesting statement. How does Disney advertise this to people on site? Are associates at the hotels, bus drivers, and greeters at the parks sharing info? Do they hand out flyers or have sign boards at the parking lots?

I'm too intuned with Disney social media like the Disboards, Twitter feed from easywdw, goingtwowdw and Facebook updates from DVC and AP newsletters. If people don't follow all of that, how would you know?

That is an interesting statement. How does Disney advertise this to people on site? Are associates at the hotels, bus drivers, and greeters at the parks sharing info? Do they hand out flyers or have sign boards at the parking lots?

I'm too intuned with Disney social media like the Disboards, Twitter feed from easywdw, goingtwowdw and Facebook updates from DVC and AP newsletters. If people don't follow all of that, how would you know?
It's on the Disney website. I don't think someone needs to follow this board or Twitter accounts to see what choices Disney has for travelers.

Not being snarky...I just know a ton of people who go to WDW and don't follow any of these boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter