not sure if we are using magic express or rent car

ybeshsm77

Earning My Ears
My vacation is two weeks away. We are contemplating switching from magical express to renting a car. I might not decide until the last minute. Do I need to call Disney and have them send me a parking pass for the resort hotel ahead of time or when we get there? Can I still keep us booked for magical express for now? What is the process? Do I tell them license plate number? Is there something I put in my car to show I am allowed to park in the resorts lot?

First time visitor.

-C

We have always been asked at check-in if we required a car pass....even though we told her no, the CM gave us one anyway just in case we decided to rent part way though the week or for a day.

I believe she also mentioned the pass (which was about the size on 1/2 sheet letterhead paper) also allowed free parking at the theme parks (but can't say for sure).

Correct, the resort pass will get you in to the park lots. You'll receive one at check-in -- no need for information about your car (I know some timeshares elsewhere ask for the plate number -- not Disney).

You can stay signed up for ME. However, if you are still unsure about the car and will decide when you arrive at the Orlando airport, I would advise against putting the yellow ME tags on your luggage before leaving. If you do, they will be separated and won't come through on the baggage carousel, so you will not be able to claim them before going to your car. They will go on ME, which you technically aren't allowed to have happen unless you are riding on ME too, and they know if you are on it or not because they scan your ME ticket. If you do take ME and didn't put the yellow tags on them, then you can either give your baggage tickets from the airline to the ME desk and they will pull them and deliver them as usual OR you can just claim them yourself and the driver will store them under the ME bus, and then you will have them with you when you arrive at the resort.

I highly encourage you to stay on Magical Express... It's just such a nice, convenient, stress-free experience!

I have the same issue. My son is renting a car because he is going elsewhere while I and my cousins are going to DW. He might stay with us for the first night and can drop us off at DW. So, there is no need to cancel with ME since I won't know until the last minute?

I have the same issue. My son is renting a car because he is going elsewhere while I and my cousins are going to DW. He might stay with us for the first night and can drop us off at DW. So, there is no need to cancel with ME since I won't know until the last minute?

If you know the day before you fly in, you should call and cancel as a courtesy. But if you won't know until you get to the airport, you don't really need to call. There's no charge for the service and they scan your pass when you get there, so if you don't show up it's no skin off their nose. But as I said above, if you aren't sure until you get to the airport, do not tag your bags with the yellow ME tags or else you will not receive your luggage as the baggage handlers separate the ME luggage.

Remember - you can rent from Alamo/National at the Car Care Center on Disney Property ... if you only need a car for a day or two.. or you can rent after you arrive and use it to return to the airport.

If you rent a car you will more than likely receive a pass from the guard at the resort gate when you arrive to check-in. In addition, you will probably get one from CM checking you in at the resort front desk as well. You will not have to provide any information ahead of time in order to get into the resort lot. Just give the guard your name at the gate and have your photo ID ready. The guard will have a list of families who are checking into the resort that day.

We have always rented a car as we like to eat some meals off property and since we stay DVC we are going to the store for groceries for our stay. It's also nice to have the car just so that we know we don't have to rely on the buses to get from one place to another. Not that the disney transit system is poor, we just like to have the comfort that we can come and go when we choose and not when disney chooses. That and the fact that we won't have to worry about stopping at other resorts on our way out of the parks.

We are leaving on Saturday :banana: and decided to get a rental. Got a great deal with Thrifty. I called ME yesterday to cancel and the agent seemed very appreciative that I did. She also reminded me NOT to put the yellow tags on the suitcases - LOL! Just decided I liked the option of driving while there so that is the only reason I changed plans. Last trip, we used ME and it was fine, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter