Not sure I'm getting why FP+ is "limiting" peoples experience.

This isn't just the "internet" its pretty easy to read up on the system and its elements and determine that you don't like the new system. No need to spend thousands of dollars to "try" something you can find out the elements of just by reading.

Yes and no. Many of the posts are from those who have not used the system as it stands right now. Before the mass testing, there were countless threads here from people who complained before even understanding what FP+ was, and I think that had led to an unfair perception of it. The system has been tweaked multiple times already during the testing phase and will continue to be until it is fully implemented and announced by Disney.

The bottom line is that these types of posts are opinions. I don't think someone should base their opinion off of what someone else says even if they have used it. One doesn't know the conditions the person used it under, if they scheduled FP+s ahead of time, what type of device they're using, etc. I think with something like this that is so personable (unlike a dining review, for instance) guests need to decide for themselves.

I think you need to recognize that this is also the Internet. Things on the Net often need to be taken with a grain of salt. Unless you use the system and find it unsatisfactory, reconsider changing your view of WDW just based on comments posted on threads like this.

I also encourage you to read my view of things here:

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/11/06/disneys-magicbands-the-hype-the-hysteria-you/

I will never understand this. Why do I need to go and see FP+ in person to know that:

a. I don't want to plan my rides down to the hour before I arrive at the parks.
b. 3 FP is not enough, esp. at MK
c. not being able to get FPs at different parks is a huge downgrade.

Yes, yes, I'm aware that the system is all testing and some of these (like the # of FPs and park hopping with FP+) could change. I'm fairly confident that if they do change, I'll hear about it here and will adjust my feelings accordingly.

I'm also aware that I don't technically "have" to pre-book rides at all. And during the test period like now I might not feel as much pressure to. But when this is rolled out to all guests, I know that I would end up pre-booking rides because I know myself enough to know that I wouldn't want to take the chance that I wouldn't be able to get a FP+ for TSMM the morning I went to DHS. It's the same reason I book ADRs ahead of time when I would prefer not to have to make dining decisions 6 months in advance either.

I also don't have to go to WDW again to know that we usually used more than 3 FPs in a day, and 3 FP+s would be less than what we have previously used.

I also disagree with constantly calling the concerns people are voicing as "hysteria.". I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not in hysterics about this. I would venture to say even people who are rescheduling or canceling trips in light of the uncertainty right now aren't "hysterical" either. There's nothing unreasonable about rescheduling or canceling a trip when there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding something that is the main focus of your trip. It may not be something one person chooses to do, but it doesn't make the one who does choose that route succumbing to "hysteria" either.:confused3

Yes and no. Many of the posts are from those who have not used the system as it stands right now. Before the mass testing, there were countless threads here from people who complained before even understanding what FP+ was, and I think that had led to an unfair perception of it. The system has been tweaked multiple times already during the testing phase and will continue to be until it is fully implemented and announced by Disney.

The bottom line is that these types of posts are opinions. I don't think someone should base their opinion off of what someone else says even if they have used it. One doesn't know the conditions the person used it under, if they scheduled FP+s ahead of time, what type of device they're using, etc. I think with something like this that is so personable (unlike a dining review, for instance) guests need to decide for themselves.

Until they "tweak" in more than 3 FPs per day, or allow more than one per attraction, or "tweak" out the tiering, or add in hopping, I think I'm capable of judging whether this will be good for our touring style. It's not that complicated. It doesn't require that I ante up many thousands of dollars to try it in person first.

I think you need to recognize that this is also the Internet. Things on the Net often need to be taken with a grain of salt. Unless you use the system and find it unsatisfactory, reconsider changing your view of WDW just based on comments posted on threads like this.

I also encourage you to read my view of things here:

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/11/06/disneys-magicbands-the-hype-the-hysteria-you/

Looks like some of the comments left on your blog have an element of "hysteria" of their own.

(Disclaimer: the above is provided for informational purposes only, and is based on a recent visit comprising 17 days of visual and physical FP+ participation. It is in no way an endorsement, critique, expression of like, dislike, hatred, or disdain of any portion of the process in whole or in part. Past performance is not indicative of future results, and the right to change and or adjust the recommendations herein based on any and all adjustments made by external parties is reserved)

I think LOTS of people will be singing a different tune after the roll-out is complete. The question is, will it be those like NikkiBell or those like twoboysmom?

I don't know about that. People can know how much planning they wish to do. I see people unhappy about having to make ADR's so I could see that having to preplan FP+ might just seem overwhelming.

It's not overwhelming to me; just a bunch of nonsense

Thank you for this post, ArwenMarie. It eloquently sums up my thoughts, as well. I feel like we get squeezed more and more every year at WDW for money and it is a turn off.

Also, does your family now use Juanolas shorthand speak as mine does? I went to exchange a Christmas gift at the mall this week and my husband asked how it went. I said, "Not good. I had to totally eat fart. I'm just going to finish up there next week when it's less crowded." He nodded in understanding. I think a stranger overhearing our conversation would have thought I was nutty!

Ha! Yes!! I showed my DH Juanolas' post and it has totally become part of our speech. Just the other day he took the kids to a Legoland Discovery Center and texted me that the place was cute but he was eating fart.

Glad we're not the only ones :)

Your blog post is an opinion as well.

It sure is! Blogs are opinion-based; not news articles. I don't expect someone to love MBs based on my experiences. They are snapshots of how things worked for me and my thoughts on them.

I think you need to recognize that this is also the Internet. Things on the Net often need to be taken with a grain of salt. Unless you use the system and find it unsatisfactory, reconsider changing your view of WDW just based on comments posted on threads like this. I also encourage you to read my view of things here: http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/11/06/disneys-magicbands-the-hype-the-hysteria-you/

It's hardly "hysteria" to know what looks like it is going to work for you or not. People know their vacation styles and their families. They know what they like and don't like. For example, it's easy to see It's a lot of appointment setting. I spend my days at home running around on a tight schedule. I go on vacation partly to get away from that. And now I have to be guessing on things that are very fluid 60 days out. I'm not a solo travel nor are we just two adults; we're a larger family. No thank you.

I like reading everyone's opinions and thoughts. I've also been interviewing everyone I know IRL who have been to Disney lately. I'm gathering all opinions and thoughts, critiquing them and judging for myself on how things may or may not go. I'm also pulling in decades of experience into my analysis. The system really isn't that fluid. Capacity isn't changing any time soon and even when it does, it won't be by leaps and bounds. Disney doesn't operate that way.

Just because we don't have the same viewpoint as you, doesn't mean we're jumping off the deep end. Honestly, I think it is much more foolish to go and spend thousands of dollars, maybe tens of thousands of dollars depending on size of your family and season, just "to see" if you like it or not. Waiting until more info comes out and Disney presents it's final product is way more rational.

Besides, you start using it long before you are in the parks. You have to start planning and guessing your desires months in advance. You are in the system booking 60 days out. It's all part of the system. I leave in just over a week. I'm trying to make changes based on changes of park hours since I first booked, and I can't get what I want, when I want. Already a nice negative of using the system before ever setting foot in the park. I have our magic bands and can feel how uncomfortable the are. Wearing a watch and the band is horrible. Wearing the band alone is uncomfortable with that hard piece of metal in it.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

On the plane home right now from a five day stay. The 29th through the 3rd. This is first visit during a peak season. While there were the plus and minuses as listed in the previous post we really like being able to sleep in and not have to get to the park early enough to get fast passes. Also, it was easy to change to the time of our experience If we needed to.

It's hardly "hysteria" to know what looks like it is going to work for you or not. People know their vacation styles and their families. They know what they like and don't like. For example, it's easy to see It's a lot of appointment setting. I spend my days at home running around on a tight schedule. I go on vacation partly to get away from that. And now I have to be guessing on things that are very fluid 60 days out. I'm not a solo travel nor are we just two adults; we're a larger family. No thank you. I like reading everyone's opinions and thoughts. I've also been interviewing everyone I know IRL who have been to Disney lately. I'm gathering all opinions and thoughts, critiquing them and judging for myself on how things may or may not go. I'm also pulling in decades of experience into my analysis. The system really isn't that fluid. Capacity isn't changing any time soon and even when it does, it won't be by leaps and bounds. Disney doesn't operate that way. Just because we don't have the same viewpoint as you, doesn't mean we're jumping off the deep end. Honestly, I think it is much more foolish to go and spend thousands of dollars, maybe tens of thousands of dollars depending on size of your family and season, just "to see" if you like it or not. Waiting until more info comes out and Disney presents it's final product is way more rational. Besides, you start using it long before you are in the parks. You have to start planning and guessing your desires months in advance. You are in the system booking 60 days out. It's all part of the system. I leave in just over a week. I'm trying to make changes based on changes of park hours since I first booked, and I can't get what I want, when I want. Already a nice negative of using the system before ever setting foot in the park. I have our magic bands and can feel how uncomfortable the are. Wearing a watch and the band is horrible. Wearing the band alone is uncomfortable with that hard piece of metal in it. Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Hard piece of metal????????

It sure is! Blogs are opinion-based; not news articles. I don't expect someone to love MBs based on my experiences. They are snapshots of how things worked for me and my thoughts on them.

I think what many are reacting to with your post is that you're telling someone not to make a determination on FP+/MBs without experiencing it themselves..that all the negatives they are reading are nothing more than opinions, not facts...and then in the next sentence are encouraging them to read your blog about your view of the mb "hysteria."

It comes across as saying your blog is more informative/accurate than just the "opinions" of those on the boards.

To the people who like it, good for you. I don't like it at all. It doesn't work for us.

We leave on Sunday for our trip and we have still not made a single FP+ reservation because we are spontaneous. We will not know what park we will be attending until the night before on any given date during our trip. We also hop almost every day, but spontaneously based on a lot of factors impossible to predict.

My wife agreed to this trip, but if this plays out poorly because we cannot book these ahead of time, it will probably be our last trip. I know that we are only one family, but we spend more than $10k/yr in WDW. That buys some pretty nice vacations elsewhere, so we will not "settle". WDW delivers what we want, how we want it, or we take our money elsewhere. No hard feelings - just the straight facts.

I think what many are reacting to with your post is that you're telling someone not to make a determination on FP+/MBs without experiencing it themselves..that all the negatives they are reading are nothing more than opinions, not facts...and then in the next sentence are encouraging them to read your blog about your view of the mb "hysteria."

It comes across as saying your blog is more informative/accurate than just the "opinions" of those on the boards.

That was never my intention, so I apologize if that's how it came across. I meant for the title to be very tongue in cheek.

Hard piece of metal????????

Well, whatever it is. I didn't dissect the band. It's something hard that stores the software. A friend IRL said a CM gave them the tip to wear it inside your wrist to make that more comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Yeah I got that, but you can not feel it unless you wear your band way too tight

I thought the band was very uncomfortable and kept mine clipped to my lanyard. I have a small wrist and the inflexible part of the band was larger than the width of my wrist so it stuck out a bit on each side. I tried leaving it loose but then it slid around, which I couldn't tolerate. I removed the extra strip on the band and tried wearing it on a smaller hole but it was still very uncomfortable. I'm picky about things like that though...tags in clothing, seams on the toes of socks, where a shoe touches the back of my heel, etc.

I strongly disliked FP+ and I did not wear my magic band, but I did like the MB features and think it's an improvement over regular old KTTW cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter