• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not sure what this mom is thinking UPDATE Post 52 Cast List Announced

Luv Bunnies

DIS Veteran
Our K-8 school just started auditions for Grease, its spring musical. The show is run by an outside arts group as an after school program. All 3rd - 8th graders are eligible to sign up, and everyone is guaranteed to get cast in some type of role. Over 100 kids are signed up this year, with about 80 girls and 20 boys (pretty typical in theater).

I am friendly with one of the moms and have her as a Facebook friend. Her 5th grade DD is auditioning for her first show. My friend's DD has her sights set on being cast as Rizzo (major role). Her mom posted on Facebook that the family has started calling her Rizzo at home to help her "get into character." She is referring to her DD on Facebook as Rizzo (Picking up Rizzo at school and then running errands; Taking Rizzo for a haircut, etc.). She also posted that they have been watching the movie and listening to the soundtrack so her DD could get familiar with Rizzo's scenes, speech patterns and mannerisms, so she will have a leg up when the actual rehearsals start. Her other FB friends have gotten into the act posting things like, "She will be a great Rizzo. Can't wait to see the show!"

There were two audition periods this week. They will have the final auditions on Tuesday and announce the casting next Thursday. I have never seen this particular girl perform, so I have no idea about her prospects for getting the role. I'm just thinking that her mom is really building her up and if she doesn't get it, she will be that much more disappointed. Our DS14 has done many shows and he knows not to count on any role until he sees his name on the list. He just goes into the auditions, does his best, and lets the chips fall. Sure, he also has his sights set on a particular role, but we barely discuss it until the show is cast.

I hope my friend's DD is happy with whatever role she receives. However, with all the build up by her family, I hope she's not completely devastated if she doesn't get the role she wants.

Our K-8 school just started auditions for Grease, its spring musical. The show is run by an outside arts group as an after school program. All 3rd - 8th graders are eligible to sign up, and everyone is guaranteed to get cast in some type of role. Over 100 kids are signed up this year, with about 80 girls and 20 boys (pretty typical in theater).

I am friendly with one of the moms and have her as a Facebook friend. Her 5th grade DD is auditioning for her first show. My friend's DD has her sights set on being cast as Rizzo (major role). Her mom posted on Facebook that the family has started calling her Rizzo at home to help her "get into character." She is referring to her DD on Facebook as Rizzo (Picking up Rizzo at school and then running errands; Taking Rizzo for a haircut, etc.). She also posted that they have been watching the movie and listening to the soundtrack so her DD could get familiar with Rizzo's scenes, speech patterns and mannerisms, so she will have a leg up when the actual rehearsals start. Her other FB friends have gotten into the act posting things like, "She will be a great Rizzo. Can't wait to see the show!"

There were two audition periods this week. They will have the final auditions on Tuesday and announce the casting next Thursday. I have never seen this particular girl perform, so I have no idea about her prospects for getting the role. I'm just thinking that her mom is really building her up and if she doesn't get it, she will be that much more disappointed. Our DS14 has done many shows and he knows not to count on any role until he sees his name on the list. He just goes into the auditions, does his best, and lets the chips fall. Sure, he also has his sights set on a particular role, but we barely discuss it until the show is cast.

I hope my friend's DD is happy with whatever role she receives. However, with all the build up by her family, I hope she's not completely devastated if she doesn't get the role she wants.

The poor kid. If it's a small school, I know that the lead roles always went to the older kids in our older school. The thought process was that this was the 8th graders last year and the younger kids still had plenty of time to hone their craft and would get the lead roles when it was their time. :confused3

I have done a ton of theatre (actually have a 2nd degree in it...wasnt planning on getting it but did so much theatre in college for fun but always got credit it wasnt that hard to get the 2nd degree) and if it is 3-8th trying out I really dont see a 5th grader who is trying out for the first time get the 2nd biggest girl part (2nd biggest right) unless this girl is absolutely amazing...

I have done directing also and I wont give an inexperienced person such a big role unless she blew away the competition. I would think most of the leads would go to the 7th and 8th graders...thats how it works in most school...you have to do your time before you get a good part.

I would never do that to my child and to be honest even though she was my favorite character I would never want my 5th. grader trying out for that position. I would assume the school will cast one of the oldest children to that part.

The only thing I can think of is that is how they roll. Maybe the child won't be upset.:confused3:confused3

Good luck to your children if they are trying out. We never had guaranteed parts, so that is nice.

I have done a ton of theatre (actually have a 2nd degree in it...wasnt planning on getting it but did so much theatre in college for fun but always got credit it wasnt that hard to get the 2nd degree) and if it is 3-8th trying out I really dont see a 5th grader who is trying out for the first time get the 2nd biggest girl part (2nd biggest right) unless this girl is absolutely amazing...

I have done directing also and I wont give an inexperienced person such a big role unless she blew away the competition. I would think most of the leads would go to the 7th and 8th graders...thats how it works in most school...you have to do your time before you get a good part.

Our middle school leads always go to 8th graders. In last year's musical, there were a few non-ensemble roles that were awarded to 7th and 6th graders, but only a few that had speaking parts or solos.

I would think that just for the height factor, no matter how talented, a 5th grader would not get a lead in Grease.

I hope that mother, while encouraging her daughter, is also preparing her for disappointment.

Random question here, but will you be doing the movie version or the theater version? I ask because Rizzo really is a different character in both and if you are doing the theater version instead of movie, I can't see how watching the movie is going to do much good.

I've done a lot of theatre too. Freshman year in HighSchool, I got the lead in the musical and the drama. I got them because I gave the best audition. That was 40 years ago. FF to this year. My friend's daughter is in a performing arts school. The best audition gets the part and the kids prepare for their auditions. Your friend is doing the right thing if her daughter is passionate about theater. In most cases, if you ask for what you want, you have a better chance of getting it. I've never understood giving the lead roles to older kids even if there's a younger person who is more qualified. That's like handing out trophies to every child for participation instead of excellence. Theater is meant to be entertaining and it will be most entertaining if the best singers, dancers, actors get those roles. The other kids should be happy for a great show and being a part of it.
Life doesn't deal out the best things to people because they're older-to the victor goes the spoils.
Sounds like that family is having fun preparing; why rain on their parade by judging them?

Mom seems to be setting her kid up for a potential big fall...unless perhaps they know something you don't (like perhaps the director or someone more intimately involved with the show)? Just sayin'.

Then again, you never know what discussions are happening behind closed doors at home. Maybe it's all "Rizzo" at home with a tongue in cheek and an elbow to the ribs? Maybe they're just playing around and have discussed the very real possibility of not getting that role.

EEK!! That is not good. My DD is actually majoring in Theatre and yikes! No WAY would I start assuming someone has a role until it is posted. You just never know what way it is going to go.

My 15 year old isn't into theatre much but he tried out for the 6th grade play because pretty much 90% of the kids try out for the 6th grade play and everyone gets a part. He ended up being an evil step-brother (it was Twinderella -- so basically the boy version of one of Cinderella's even step-sisters)! Never saw that coming & he obviously beat out kids who had more theatre experience.

I'm afraid the family & friends might be pretty disappointed if she gets the role of "pink lady #3" or something since usually when everyone gets a part -- you tend to have lots of townsfolk roles OR the main roles are broken up (i.e. you do scenes 1 & 2; another person does that roles as scense 3 & 4).

Reading some of the other posts -- there IS always the possibility of some behind the scenes things too. BTDT with obvious favoritism for things (i.e. director's child getting main parts). Heck even my DD basically being told, you don't have to audition here is your part because they needed more people for a show.

Although in the past auditions she has been at, the directions have always told her to NOT do a song/reading FROM the actual show. It has to be something similar. I know every audition is different. She had her first college one yesterday and it was just cold reading.

Is it just me, or is Grease an odd choice for a 3rd-8th grade musical? I'm trying to imagine 3rd graders as "Greasers" and "Pink Ladies" and just don't see it. :confused3

Something about envisioning a 5th grader worrying about having a bun in her oven really creeps me out....

totally stupid--- its good to have a goal --or a character in mind to go for... Our HS was going to do Grease and I was aiming for the role of "cha cha" (the girl who dances with Danny at the school dance)--but they had to do a last minute change to Bye Bye Birdie--- I found a similar role (a solo dancing part- Gloria Rasputan) that I was aiming for and I got it, but knew very well that I might get 20 other roles instead. I was just happy being on stage.

Setting your child up is like that is almost saying none of the other roles are important.

You MUST post a follow up when the final casting gets announced. That poor little girl. Even if she is an amazing talent, she is going to look out of place next to an 8th grade Kenicke. Ewww!

Something about envisioning a 5th grader worrying about having a bun in her oven really creeps me out....

The writers did do a school-safe rewrite that has edited a lot of the songs and completely cut out the pregnancy scare. I'm still not sure it is age appropriate, but it's not my call.

I've done a lot of theatre too. Freshman year in HighSchool, I got the lead in the musical and the drama. I got them because I gave the best audition. That was 40 years ago. FF to this year. My friend's daughter is in a performing arts school. The best audition gets the part and the kids prepare for their auditions. Your friend is doing the right thing if her daughter is passionate about theater. In most cases, if you ask for what you want, you have a better chance of getting it. I've never understood giving the lead roles to older kids even if there's a younger person who is more qualified. That's like handing out trophies to every child for participation instead of excellence. Theater is meant to be entertaining and it will be most entertaining if the best singers, dancers, actors get those roles. The other kids should be happy for a great show and being a part of it.
Life doesn't deal out the best things to people because they're older-to the victor goes the spoils.
Sounds like that family is having fun preparing; why rain on their parade by judging them?

Oh I'm all for helping the kids prepare to audition for the role they want. My DS always tries to get familiar with a show and see what the various roles are before the auditions start. That said, every girl who wrote that they want to be Rizzo on their audition sheet won't get to audition specifically for Rizzo. They do general auditions to get a sense of the kids. Then they call a few back to read for specific roles, and with people who are being considered for opposite roles (they'll try several potential Sandys with the potential Dannys, for example).

Also, our directors don't always necessarily cast the older kids for the leads. A few years ago, a 4th grade boy was Captain Shang in Mulan because he was determined to be the best fit for the role. Mulan was a 5th grader in that show, and Mushu was a 4th grader.

What concerns me is that some kids really get set on a role, then get really disappointed when they're cast in the ensemble. I think parents should be encouraging, but cautious at the same time until the cast list is announced.

Seems to be setting her DD up for disappointment.

:offtopic: OK I'm pulling out my prudish pearls to clutch....

Is this a very modified version of Grease? The subject matter seems a bit mature for that age group. I know I watched (and loved) the movie around that age. But looking at it now, it does have such a timeless heartwarming messages "Fix up a car to get lucky", "Smoke! It's cool!" "Act trampy- Get the guy!"

First off, I'm surprised they're doing a production of "Grease" with kids that young. They wouldn't let us do "Grease" in junior high!

I wouldn't say it's impossible for a 5th grader to score a major role. In my junior high (6, 7, 8), one particular girl got the lead in plays in 6th and 7th grade because she was THAT good. A 6th grade boy had the lead in "Scrooge", again, becaue he was THAT good.

That said... nobody should get their hopes up. That same girl who got cast as the leads in 6th and 7th grade just assumed that she was going to be Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz" and had quite a meltdown when she got cast as one of the Lullabye League.

Sounds like this mom is a little "off" and/or her daughter is a special snowflake.

The writers did do a school-safe rewrite that has edited a lot of the songs and completely cut out the pregnancy scare. I'm still not sure it is age appropriate, but it's not my call.

Yes, there is a junior version of Grease that they will be doing. Rizzo doesn't get pregnant. They have the boyfriend/girlfriend relationships, but sex isn't mentioned or even implied. Also, the stage version is different than the movie version. No flying car at the end, among other things! The kids probably won't get their scripts until after the casting is done so I haven't been able to read through it yet.

Is this a very modified version of Grease? The subject matter seems a bit mature for that age group. I know I watched (and loved) the movie around that age. But looking at it now, it does have such a timeless heartwarming messages "Fix up a car to get lucky", "Smoke! It's cool!" "Act trampy- Get the guy!"

I know, right! Have they ever listened to the lyrics of "Greased Lightning"? :faint:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter