Not wanting wifi in hotel room for a person with emf sensitivity resulting in migraine headaches

Discussion in 'Resorts Community Board' started by cottontail, Sep 14, 2018 at 11:23 AM.

1. cottontail

cottontail DIS Veteran

I know to most people this may sound like an odd question.

My daughter gets terrible migraine headaches from being near wifi and cell phones that are on.

We do not use wifi in our home and I realize that neighbours wifi still can come into our home. We are staying at pop century and i have just read that disney is upping the power for better wifi in their hotel rooms starting at pop century.

Is there a way for disney to shut off the wifi power to a hotel room, the way some people who I think use routers that can turn on and off wifi to a home. Or is there such a thing as a room with weaker wifi.

Deb.

2. Summer2018

Summer2018 DIS Veteran

WiFi is all over WDW, the parks, restaurants. I don’t know how you can avoid that. E1DF3E26-159C-495B-96A3-7F837262CEBF.jpeg

Hopefully and Spencer Wright like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Happyinwonerland

Happyinwonerland DIS Veteran

Wifi is everywhere. Have you asked her doctor to help you with this issue? I'd think in general you'd find avoiding those signals impossible in everyday life.

5. DiaryofaDisneyKid

DiaryofaDisneyKid DIS Veteran

I understand your concerns I have heard of other people having this issue! I don't know if it would be possible to turn of the wifi in one room but it doesn't hurt to ask. I remember reading once that salt lamps can help with EMF exposure. I don't know if they really work but it might be something to look into.:)

6. cottontail

cottontail DIS Veteran

She will definitely get a migraine throughout the day and will need to come back to her room, I was hoping that there would be a way to turn the wifi off like you can in your home with the router for her recovery from the migraine and sleep,

7. cottontail

cottontail DIS Veteran

The salt lamp might be worth a try.

DiaryofaDisneyKid likes this.
  8. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

Why would you subject your child to daily migraines by taking her to parks where there is WiFi and thousands of people using cell phones? That seems really insensitive. I get migraines and honestly, would not want to endure that.

You will not be able to "turn off" the Wi-Fi in your room, as they don't use the kinds of routers you have in your home. They would need to shut it off to the entire floor or building. Besides, the rooms aren't well insulated so even if you could turn it off to your room, the signals would permeate the walls.

Are you 100% sure this is the cause of her migraines? Has she undergone testing to determine that this is the cause?

I would reconsider WDW as a vacation destination in this case. It's not right to make your daughter suffer.

Hopefully, MDIME and Spencer Wright like this.
  9. cottontail

cottontail DIS Veteran

Hello my child my daughter is 40 years old and gets daily migraines, has been to 4 neurologists since she was 16. Yes there are other reasons that cause migraines for her as well as wifi. We feel it is wifi related because we have been in our home turned on the wifi gone on the tablet for 30 minutes and everytime she gets a terrible migraine. We finally put two and two together after reading about others as this was a trigger for them. Her neurologist feels that could be one of her many triggers. I don't think there is some sort of official way to test it.
    She is insisting on going to the place that even if she gets a half a day in a park makes her happy. I am trying all i can do to reduce wifi especially in her sleeping area.

Deb.
    P.S. I guess I should have said daughter rather than child.

10. Happyinwonerland

Happyinwonerland DIS Veteran

Did they have wifi 24 years ago?

MDIME likes this.
  11. larissawbb

larissawbb DIS Veteran

Has she tried consulting with a rheumatologist? She may have a vascular disorder. Rheumatologist are better at putting together small pieces into the larger puzzle.

Hopefully and Happyinwonerland like this.
  12. Anthony1971

Anthony1971 DIS Veteran

The WIFI at the parks is just as strong as at the resorts. Even if you could turn off the room WIFI you also has guest WIFI which services outside the rooms and can be picked up in the rooms as well... I would suggest you rethink your trip if WIFI is that much of an issue as I don't think she will be able to avoid it anywhere in the Disney parks or resorts or airports for that fact.... and now any house that are near that has cable will have a free hotspot for the cable company... Maybe it is not the WIFI and something to do with the electronics as all electronics emit sound waves as well... In this day I truly do not see how she would not have a headache 24/7 if it was WIFI or Cell phone bands causing this. I would try other Doctors to find a solution as this will only get worse.

13. LYSE

LYSE DIS Veteran

WiFi is absolutely everywhere, I guess the best you could do is try and find a room that is furthest away from an access point..but without talking to their IT staff directly good luck with that.

802.11 wifi started to be used about 21 years ago

14. SCmom3

SCmom3 Mouseketeer

Have you considered renting a house offsite? You could turn off the router there and it would be a better place to rest and recover.

VAfamily1998 and DLgal like this.
  15. cottontail

cottontail DIS Veteran

Hi Thanks everyone. Yes she has migraines everyday, but some days she is able to wake up with no migraine but it usually comes around two o'clock then she is back to bed. She has tried botox, lidocaine injections and steroid injections.

24 years ago she had one migraine aweek now it is daily.

She is trying to be positive and wants to go back to her happy place, if it is bad for her it may be the last time for a while.