November 2020 Sailing... How confident are you in traveling without a covid19 vaccine in place?

with the latest news that the CDC thinks that the 2nd wave of CV-19 will be in the winter, I am very worried about the November Eastbound Panama cruise - part of me hopes that Disney cancels this cruise as well, which will give me the opportunity to switch to my new #1 choice - 13day cruise in May 2021 from Miami to Barcelona

This is one I've been thinking a lot about.
Travel is my life. Literally. When I'm not working on cruise ships, I'm travelling. If this goes on much longer it will be the longest I've been in one place in 7 and a half years!
I've always been a jump in with both feet kind of person, spontaneous, only regret the things you didnt do and all that.

At first I wasnt too concerned. I'm not at risk. I'm not elderly.
But then a 26 year old my mum works with died due to Covid-19, he had no health problems and ran marathons for fun.
My friend lost a 30 year old work colleague, who leaves 3 young children behind. Also no health problems.
Early on over here, we had a 13 year old (no health problems) who died alone.

Sure, there's more of a chance of you succumbing to it if you catch it and are in an at risk group, but you dont have to be.

You can throw all your conspiracy theories at me. But, you dont know if you're a spreader and a shredder, and for now, theres too many people in my life to risk it, so if this means my retirement from ships, so be it, I had a good run.

I can go without travel for as long as I need (while it's nice, it's far from essential) if it means that I'm still around and I still have the people i love in my life to travel with, once i feel comfortable brought with the world to go back out there.

I would be concerned. Regardless if you feel you personally are safe, the minute someone on the ship is diagnosed then your entire itinerary will be changed and you may be prompted to return back to the US.

I also want to hear how the first round of cruises go once it starts back up before deciding when to start cruising. If services are really curtailed (no character meets, arduous show schedule, wearing masks, less ports, etc) then for my family I couldn’t justify the cost premium for Disney. I want to see how the US handles it if they get a suspected or confirmed case at sea. Finally I want to see what the policy on refunds is if you show up at port and someone in your party fails a temp check or someone in your party is diagnosed as positive (if they put those checks in place). If there’s a possibility we spend $7k, travel to the ship, can’t board because one of us is unknowingly positive, and receive no refund/only sick person refund that’s going to be too high a risk for me. Thats always been a risk in the past but between insurance and the lower risk youd be sick I wasn’t worried.

with the latest news that the CDC thinks that the 2nd wave of CV-19 will be in the winter, I am very worried about the November Eastbound Panama cruise - part of me hopes that Disney cancels this cruise as well, which will give me the opportunity to switch to my new #1 choice - 13day cruise in May 2021 from Miami to Barcelona

do you have the May 2021 cruise already booked as well? since Disney prices increase every year, it’d be a shame to rebook a current reservation to a new one with already increased prices... but I know, safety first if ever :(

I also want to hear how the first round of cruises go once it starts back up before deciding when to start cruising. If services are really curtailed (no character meets, arduous show schedule, wearing masks, less ports, etc) then for my family I couldn’t justify the cost premium for Disney. I want to see how the US handles it if they get a suspected or confirmed case at sea. Finally I want to see what the policy on refunds is if you show up at port and someone in your party fails a temp check or someone in your party is diagnosed as positive (if they put those checks in place). If there’s a possibility we spend $7k, travel to the ship, can’t board because one of us is unknowingly positive, and receive no refund/only sick person refund that’s going to be too high a risk for me. Thats always been a risk in the past but between insurance and the lower risk youd be sick I wasn’t worried.

These are good points 🤔 thanks

We are on the November EBPC cruise as well. I am pretty sure we are going to cancel due to the lackluster ports. I do not know if I should cancel now or wait until paid in full date to see what happens with cruising in general in July. I love the two week cruises but not real fond of these ports. We have done the PC cruise before so I can bear canceling for a different itinerary.

MJ

We are on the November EBPC cruise as well. I am pretty sure we are going to cancel due to the lackluster ports. I do not know if I should cancel now or wait until paid in full date to see what happens with cruising in general in July. I love the two week cruises but not real fond of these ports. We have done the PC cruise before so I can bear canceling for a different itinerary.

MJ

ok. “Glad” I’m not the only one who’s torn...

It was more but I paid nothing OOP with the 125% credit

Ah. That makes a big difference then 👍🏼

when was your original cruise you said and how soon did Disney inform you guys that it was cancelled and there will be 125% credit?

Ah. That makes a big difference then 👍🏼

when was your original cruise you said and how soon did Disney inform you guys that it was cancelled and there will be 125% credit?

It was scheduled for 5/2 and found out about a week or so that it was cancelled. I rescheduled for 5/1 of next year

My May was cancelled and if it hadn't I would be on it. Now going in October. Locked up for 6 weeks now. Vaccine or not I'm going unless it gets cancelled.

I'm scheduled to do a WDW stay then cruise in September and as long as Disney is open for business I'll be there. It would be a shame if restrictions are in place but we're plan a slower paced trip anyways, so that doesn't really concern me, we'd still make it fun.

I think I'm a lot more relaxed than most though. I work overseas a lot and had to travel back from Rwanda to the UK through 4 international airports and did so with my Husband and an infant without a face mask. We kept distance as much as possible, although on the plane this was near impossible. We also regularly washed our hands. We are all fine and are well outwith our self-quarantine period.

I've worked all over during health crisis including Ebola, it's part of my job and as long as your being sensible and taking precautions, such as washing hands regularly, I've never had reason to worry. However, I'd caveat by saying, I am healthy with no health conditions.

I personally don't believe a vaccine will solve this, we have a flu jab but there's still flu. I think a jab is much more likely to benefit a vulnerable demographic than me.

One of the most shocking things for me when travelling is that in Rwanda I wasn't allowed into the airport building without a temperature check and completing a medical questionnaire. However, when coming into the UK there was no one asking where I had come from, taking temperature or even asking if I feel well. I was able to walk through both London Gatwick and Edinburgh without question...so no wonder things got so bad in the UK!!!

The only thing that would stop me travelling is if myself or one of my family started showing signs or our temperature shot up (we take morning and evening readings at the moment). Maybe if there were significant closures still in WDW I would re-think. Otherwise Disney here I come :)

do you have the May 2021 cruise already booked as well? since Disney prices increase every year, it’d be a shame to rebook a current reservation to a new one with already increased prices... but I know, safety first if ever :(
I have Nov 2020 booked and might call DVC to see what my options are

DVC allowed my reservation to be changed with no penalties - they waived the $95 reservation fee due to a 30th wedding anniversary celebration

I have 4 cabins booked for our family Merrytime cruise 11/30/20-12/4/20. I am concerned because we will have 3 young children and I’m over 65. But I’m not going to take any action just yet. A lot can happen between now and then. I just hope it will still be doable.

I'm scheduled to do a WDW stay then cruise in September and as long as Disney is open for business I'll be there. It would be a shame if restrictions are in place but we're plan a slower paced trip anyways, so that doesn't really concern me, we'd still make it fun.

I think I'm a lot more relaxed than most though. I work overseas a lot and had to travel back from Rwanda to the UK through 4 international airports and did so with my Husband and an infant without a face mask. We kept distance as much as possible, although on the plane this was near impossible. We also regularly washed our hands. We are all fine and are well outwith our self-quarantine period.

I've worked all over during health crisis including Ebola, it's part of my job and as long as your being sensible and taking precautions, such as washing hands regularly, I've never had reason to worry. However, I'd caveat by saying, I am healthy with no health conditions.

I personally don't believe a vaccine will solve this, we have a flu jab but there's still flu. I think a jab is much more likely to benefit a vulnerable demographic than me.

One of the most shocking things for me when travelling is that in Rwanda I wasn't allowed into the airport building without a temperature check and completing a medical questionnaire. However, when coming into the UK there was no one asking where I had come from, taking temperature or even asking if I feel well. I was able to walk through both London Gatwick and Edinburgh without question...so no wonder things got so bad in the UK!!!

The only thing that would stop me travelling is if myself or one of my family started showing signs or our temperature shot up (we take morning and evening readings at the moment). Maybe if there were significant closures still in WDW I would re-think. Otherwise Disney here I come :)
I thought I read somewhere today that WDW may not reopen until 2021.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter