November 2024 OR January 2025 - to go or not to go

Porsche4

Mouseketeer
I live in Australia and am planning a once only trip to Tokyo Disney. We are planning to be in the parks for six days to try and minimise waiting in lines too much as both my daughter and I are autistic and can't cope very well with huge crowds. That leads to my questions:

1. If we want the least crowded time of year to visit, are we better to choose January or would the crowds be manageable on weekdays in November. We are contemplating
November so we can see the Xmas decorations and to see the Autumn colours in Tokyo. Its probably more important for us to have less people than decorations so would January be better?

2. I also have very bad knees which means I cannot sit on the ground. I will be okay walking the parks with plenty of breaks but I would not be able to sit for the parades. I am thinking that perhaps I hire a wheelchair after lunch then I can sit in that and get access to the wheelchair area for parades. Not trying to bunk the system just really can't stand for long times in lines or sit on the ground with my bad knees. In Disneyland I usually hire an ECV but I have read they don't really accommodate those in Japan so trying to work out the most comfortable way for me to enjoy the parks and parades.

Thanks a lot

We've been in November and it was lovely, but still pretty big crowds. Not huge, but certainly "crowded" compared to Australian theme parks (e.g. Dreamworld).

TDR Explorer indicates that January can be the very best time to visit: https://tdrexplorer.com/when-should-you-visit-tokyo-disney-resort/

We haven't visited in January, so couldn't comment on the crowds then. I'd still expect some attractions, particularly Beauty and the Beast to have long lines, so you may need to consider either going to them as soon as possible upon entry or purchasing Premier Access / Fast Passes.

For the parades, the first ... five or so "rows" of people typically sit down. So, IF you were early enough you could probably sit on a park bench near the parade route and you would still have a good view as everyone in front of you (i.e. between you and the parade floats) would be sitting down. There's some other options. I recall leaning against / resting on a ... planter type wall thing (?) near Splash Mountain to watch the parade one time when my leg was hurting from sitting on the ground. It was a bit back from the parade, but because everyone is sitting, the view is still good.

You could perhaps check out the parade route earlier in the day and shortlist some sitting / resting options?

January after the New Year Event is over is generally one of the lowest crowd times to visit. It'll be even less crowded if it's snowing in the morning (January and early February have the highest chances of snow). The problem with snow though is that they do modified versions of parades and outdoor shows in light snow and cancel them in heavy snow. Right when the Christmas event starts in November, there will likely be a lot of people, especially for the shows.

I'm not sure if Japan doesn't really accommodate ECVs but they're definitely far more common in Anaheim Disneyland than Tokyo Disneyland. I have seen some in Tokyo Disneyland though so if you somehow have one, it should be fine.

We've been in November and it was lovely, but still pretty big crowds. Not huge, but certainly "crowded" compared to Australian theme parks (e.g. Dreamworld).

TDR Explorer indicates that January can be the very best time to visit: https://tdrexplorer.com/when-should-you-visit-tokyo-disney-resort/

We haven't visited in January, so couldn't comment on the crowds then. I'd still expect some attractions, particularly Beauty and the Beast to have long lines, so you may need to consider either going to them as soon as possible upon entry or purchasing Premier Access / Fast Passes.

For the parades, the first ... five or so "rows" of people typically sit down. So, IF you were early enough you could probably sit on a park bench near the parade route and you would still have a good view as everyone in front of you (i.e. between you and the parade floats) would be sitting down. There's some other options. I recall leaning against / resting on a ... planter type wall thing (?) near Splash Mountain to watch the parade one time when my leg was hurting from sitting on the ground. It was a bit back from the parade, but because everyone is sitting, the view is still good.

You could perhaps check out the parade route earlier in the day and shortlist some sitting / resting options?
Thanks so much, those tips help a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter