Now that we are through Thanksgiving........

I am honestly hoping that things get canceled with DH's side for Christmas.
Older Brother works in a warehouse store that has public walking around them whle working so unknown about masks even though we are under a mandate.
One kid works in a grocery store again not sure about masks especially since the mandate here states if you can not wear one for medical reasons you are excused. Not everyone is doing what I do and using curbside if they can not wear a mask for health reasons in order to protect others.
Sister's employer is requiring everyone work in the office even with one person having been diagnosed with covid instead of everyone working from home for two weeks minimium after they were exposed.
One family member does maintance in low income housing mainly vacated units to get them ready for the next tenant but still some in occupied units
2 family members work in the medical field
Younger brother's family is honestly the safest along with DH's parents.

I was fine being around my family for Thanksgiving due to the fact that we live on the same larger property and are back and forth between houses anyways. DH, brother and my dad have been working on getting the hogs processed and into the freezers for the past couple of weeks in a very tight space.
Sister in law works in a resturant but they are being strict about masks for employees and customers even telling people if you can not wear a mask with the exception of eating and drinking while seated at a table they will be happy to let you order a to go meal and will deliver it to your vehicle.
Niece and nephew are in school with block scheduling so they attend their morning classes one week and their afternoon classes the next week on an alternating week schedule in order to reduce the amount of time students are passing in the halls. Masks are also required with students who can not wear masks for medical reasons for the most part taking virtual classes. There are a few exceptions like band class where most of the students need to be unmasked to play their instruments but those students are arriving at the school when the class bell rings and are showing up in class up to 5 minutes after the start bell and are leaving the building 5 minutes prior to the release bell so they are not in the halls at the same time as the other students.
Sister's employer is strict about masks for clients and staff. No mask no service plain and simple.
Brother can do 95% of his work from home dispatching trucks for the lumber yard. He is going in and working in an office in the back because the internet connection is better there than in his house. The remaining 5% of his work is in the yard checking the stock which he can do solo as the supervisor of that department. So little to no interactions with anyone outside the family.
DH works in a warehouse where even without social distancing rules they are socially distanced most of the time due to the carts they are using to put the orders on being 8 feet in length and 4 feet wide. With the exception of the end aisles which are 10 ft wide so they can pass all aisle in the warehouse which except for a couple of lobbies are closed to the public. The breakroom has had the 8 ft round tables reduced so they are no closer than 6 ft from edge to edge and only one chair is at each table. Rules are posted that only one person can be at the vending machines or at the fridge and microwave and sink area of the kitchen. They have sent home employees without pay who violate this rule and have made it clear that there are cameras and they are saving the tape. This has been approved by the union so no going to them and filing a complaint because you will get no where. It is mainly the guys in their 20s who are violating this. The older ones like DH who are closer to their 50s are keeping their distance and greeting to co workers are a hi name from 6 plus feet away. DH is doing all of our shopping that is not curbside pick ups that I can do and is wearing a mask when doing so.
My girls are homeschooled and we have limited to the number of outside activities we are doing this year. The few activities they are going to are all masks required for all participants and spectators.

I don’t have high hopes for the next couple months but I’m also trying not to be all doom and gloom. I know we have a ways to go and I know things aren’t going to just magically get better, but the constant “it’s going to be a dark winter” and “our only hope is a vaccine” is getting really depressing.

I just really hope we can start rounding the corner early next year, if some people start getting vaccinated. I have a sister who lives in Florida, and we haven’t seen her since January. It’s been really hard for my parents. They were supposed to go down to Disney in March right after the parks closed, so they missed that chance to see her, and now they’re canceling a trip to go down the week after next. And she was supposed to come here for Christmas. The only thing I want right now is for them to get to see her in person soon. :guilty:

I assume you mean get the vaccine first? I agree. I know a virus is a virus and there’s no way to be 100% safe, but it’s so hard hearing about people who have been careful who still get it and people who are going to bars/parties/whatever all the time who are completely fine. I don’t wish it on anybody, but some people need a reality check.
Oops, yes, vaccine.

We made the decision a while ago that we would not be seeing anyone for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. I don't think anyone should be getting together with family they don't live with for either holiday just like there should be no one traveling for vacations or anything else that is spreading this thing around. I'm not convinced we will be able to get together for Easter either. A vaccine being available is not going to change much. Once it is widely distributed and proven effective not only this spring but into next year is important.

It is possible that the next mutation of the virus will be just as bad, if not worse, and the vaccine will be totally ineffective against it. We will see. Much like the fly Corona virus will mutate and the current vaccine many not have much impact on the next version. I hope that isn't the case but it is a real possibility.

I'm sure we will do the same as yesterday for Thanksgiving. Marie and I at her uncle's place (we are his caregivers). My daughter with her boys at her place. My son and his family at his place. Normally we are all together. We all did just fine.

So will everyone open all their presents via zoom.........not sure if my grandkids will understand that especially if they won't be able to actually play with their gifts for months on end.

Just saying.....Christmas with presents and Santa..... is a hair different then eating some turkey and watching the Lions lose AGAIN! ;)

So will everyone open all their presents via zoom.........not sure if my grandkids will understand that especially if they won't be able to actually play with their gifts for months on end......:( :santa:

We've already started to get gifts from friends and family. They will be under the tree and opened just like they always are. We will tell our son "that is from grandma" or "that is from aunt xxx in Wyoming", etc.

The gifts won't be opened via zoom but we might zoom with friends and family after the fact.

I'm sure we will do the same as yesterday for Thanksgiving. Marie and I at her uncle's place (we are his caregivers). My daughter with her boys at her place. My son and his family at his place. Normally we are all together. We all did just fine.
Yep. It's not ideal or how anyone wants to celebrate but it is the safe and responsible thing to do.

Its going to be the same.

Those that gathered for Thanksgiving are going to again for Christmas.

Those that didn't won't.

I dont see anyone changing their minds at this point anymore.

Eh, I doubt there will be many who had Thanksgiving who decide Christmas is too risky, but between the religious nature of Christmas and the fact that it is a bigger holiday with a long school break attached will mean some who were willing to give up Thanksgiving but still celebrate Christmas. The higher-risk members of our family made the decision not to hold our extended-family Thanksgiving but both have already said we're having Christmas regardless. A big part of the difference is simple timing - Thanksgiving is such a short break for the students/teachers in the family (which covers 9 of the 15 people on our guest list) that there was no time to quarantine before gathering, but for Christmas there is - but it is also the fact that Christmas is a more significant occasion and one that the grandmothers are far less willing to give up.

Originally we were going to get together with family for Thanksgiving but ended up deciding not too.
We are doing a wait and see approach for Christmas.

We've already started to get gifts from friends and family. They will be under the tree and opened just like they always are. We will tell our son "that is from grandma" or "that is from aunt xxx in Wyoming", etc.

The gifts won't be opened via zoom but we might zoom with friends and family after the fact.

I'm a bit confused then.....is your son opening the actual gifts or not??? How old is your son? I'm talking about gifts from far away that will not be opened because the recipient is not there because of all this and that recipient is a 3 and a half yr old boy.

So I saw a bunch of people from different households or "pods" yesterday. But they were all working. So, just to be clear...people can gather from different households at work but those same people are super spreaders/irresponsible/unsafe if they gather outside of work? Asking for a friend...

Last edited:
We made the decision a while ago that we would not be seeing anyone for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. I don't think anyone should be getting together with family they don't live with for either holiday just like there should be no one traveling for vacations or anything else that is spreading this thing around. I'm not convinced we will be able to get together for Easter either. A vaccine being available is not going to change much. Once it is widely distributed and proven effective not only this spring but into next year is important.

It is possible that the next mutation of the virus will be just as bad, if not worse, and the vaccine will be totally ineffective against it. We will see. Much like the fly Corona virus will mutate and the current vaccine many not have much impact on the next version. I hope that isn't the case but it is a real possibility.

The next mutation.....

I am working with covid positive employees for the hospital network I work for. Last week, I had 2 employees test positive for their second time around. Both of them had it back in April. Now, they have it again. I pulled infectious disease in to consult. they are testing the DNA of their current virus and comparing to known DNA from last spring.

No doubt, it's mutating. It's very discouraging.

We are doing a wait and see for Christmas too. Guidelines in our area seem to be changing weekly. We only decided about Thanksgiving a few days before. Our son and girlfriend who "semi-quarantined" (masked, distanced, only out for necessities like we do all the time)for two weeks in order to come for Thanksgiving are waiting to see if they've been able to control what their exposure level has been. Our son and wife who go about their business (masked and distanced but going out for more than necessities) are saying they want to come. It's going to be hard if we have to tell them no because they rarely decide to join us on holidays.

Last edited:
So I saw a bunch of people from different households or "pods" yesterday. But they were all working. So, just to be clear...people can gather from different households at work but those same people are super spreaders/irresponsible/unsafe if they gather outside of work? Asking for a friend...

The biggest difference is that at work they should be masked and social distancing. At holiday gatherings people are usually unmasked and hugging, etc.

Last edited:
I don't think anything's going to change until vaccinations are widely available, especially as we go through winter and flu season. Most of my state is already on the most restrictive tier and it will likely stay that way through spring.

It is never going to get under control until there is widespread availability of a vaccine which by all estimates is by July.
Agree this won't be under control until we have a vaccine ... but I'm hoping it'll be earlier than July.
I think it’s going to get much worse. We will see the after affects of Thanksgiving just as we go into the Christmas holiday. You add normal family gathering times and Covid fatigue and I think it’s going to be a very ugly winter.
Oh, yes. Thanksgiving and Christmas will be super-spreader events. I feel sure the next few weeks are going to bring an uptick in new cases.
People in my area are so over coronavirus. So many are living life as if it were 2018.
Yeah, have you heard the term "Quarantine Fatigue"? Thing is, no matter how tired we all are of this mess, our feelings don't change reality.

You keep posting this sentiment, but you know that people at social gatherings behave differently than they do at work. No masks, physical affection, community food serving, etc.

You keep posting this sentiment, but you know that people at social gatherings behave differently than they do at work. No masks, physical affection, community food serving, etc.

Yes & you don't need to have physical affection. If work is so safe then everyone should be back at work. There is no legitimate link to COVID through food.

I have ordered/shipped most of the christmas gifts for our extended family. Only a little bit more to go. As they arrive, the recipient wraps the box and puts it under their tree. We are planning to facetime/zoom with each family at some point on Christmas eve or christmas day to watch each other open the gifts that we have sent. Not quite the same, but close enough for this year.
I have received packages from our family as well, they are wrapped and under our tree. Everyone is a bit nervous about shipping times getting delayed closer to christmas, so are shopping early to be sure everything arrives in time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter