Now that we are through Thanksgiving........

Your starting with a false premise. We don't need everything you are talking about to survive a few weeks. If everyone was told to go out and get all the food and supplies they need for a month and people cooked their own meals and ate at home. Which is not unreasonable. it an be done. Not easy but neither was burying my parents this summer.

And all those people who can't afford to go out and buy the food they need for a month in advance?

Your starting with a false premise. We don't need everything you are talking about to survive a few weeks. If everyone was told to go out and get all the food and supplies they need for a month and people cooked their own meals and ate at home. Which is not unreasonable. it an be done. Not easy but neither was burying my parents this summer.

A big portion of the population does not have the money to buy 6 weeks of supplies.

So then you have everyone rushing out at the same time to buy supplies, crowding all the stores. I agree with Amylevan's very well-written explanation of why this assertion would be unrealistic.

So then you have everyone rushing out at the same time to buy supplies, crowding all the stores. I agree with Amylevan's very well-written explanation of why this assertion would be unrealistic.
because again in your world the only way that happens is if everyone runs to the store at exactly the same time. I don't know about you but before my parents died I realized I'd have to use curbside and delivery. I also stocked my house for a month at a time pre-covid because I hate shopping.

because again in your world the only way that happens is if everyone runs to the store at exactly the same time. I don't know about you but before my parents died I realized I'd have to use curbside and delivery. I also stocked my house for a month at a time pre-covid because I hate shopping.
Were you asleep in March? The grocery stores were overcrowded and stocks were low/gone because people wanted to stock up in case they couldn’t get out. Now you want to tell everyone to go buy a month of food because they won’t be allowed to leave their house for 6 weeks? In what logistical reality is that possible? Stores dont have enough food for that scenario and you’d most definitely cause rioting and panic.

Were you asleep in March? The grocery stores were overcrowded and stocks were low/gone because people wanted to stock up in case they couldn’t get out. Now you want to tell everyone to go buy a month of food because they won’t be allowed to leave their house for 6 weeks? In what logistical reality is that possible? Stores dont have enough food for that scenario and you’d most definitely cause rioting and panic.
did you miss the part where I said that I'm smart and use delivery and curbside so I don't have to inside of stores? the reason we need to close up everything is because people can't follow the guidelines

did you miss the part where I said that I'm smart and use delivery and curbside so I don't have to inside of stores? the reason we need to close up everything is because people can't follow the guidelines

How lucky that your stores had openings for delivery or curbside. I’ve been doing curbside for years (I despise grocery stores) and once March hit I couldn’t get a slot. And that was with getting on at midnight when the slots opened. I felt like I was fighting for a coveted ADR. lol. They were either booked or the stores couldn’t keep up with demand and suspended services. That lasted a good 3 months. The stores still remained packed. .

Time for throwback thursday for what happened when people did go out and buy up to stock up for several weeks. People couldn't get anything, online/curbside orders were useless because most items weren't in stock and the pick up window was weeks out.

I haven't visited this thread in months but I did when it was all going down there's memes in there reflecting what it was like: https://www.disboards.com/threads/funny-memes.3796645/

There's also this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...-will-have-a-sense-of-normalcy-again.3796651/

And this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/anyone-else-worried-about-fall-supplies.3805908/

And this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/anyone-stockpiling-food.3794432/

I'm sure there's more threads, I know people have commenting randomly in threads. Right now toilet paper is back on for being in very low stock or no stock at all.

It was also heavily covered (pros and cons to that) in the news.

See above and please for the love of god don't call people dumb (which is what you're doing by calling yourself smart) regarding delivery and curbside. Your gentle reminder of what it was like for people is available for you to see. Enjoy reading!

Yes!! And even more shocking...these same people are often very restricted on storage space, so no place to store more than a weeks worth of food.
so you are saying why bother, I say dead people bother me more than the inconvenience of going out to eat.

TL-DR the whole thread - sorry if this has been covered. I don't know about where you live, but you already can't get TP @ SAM's Club in So Cal. Same story in some of the grocery stores, but not all.
LA County goes into super-lockdown as of today, for at least 4 weeks. No sit down dining whatsoever as of last week. Indoor shopping is to be restricted to I think 25%. Get ready for real closed-forever restaurants. the best the County could offer was "hopefully" there will be some sort of stimulus for the closed restaurants. I don't think the people making the decisions know how restaurants work; margins are S-L-I-M, especially now, especially for the smaller family owned places. Food is purchased weeks, if not months in advance, the restaurants have spent tens of thousands setting up the outdoor dining. This is devastating, and there is no evidence that there is any spread with outdoor dining. Small brick-and-mortar stores are in a likewise precarious situation. On-line shopping is just too prevalent now with COVID restrictions, and without foot traffic those stores may not make it either. This is BAD, bad...

I plan to see my oldest daughter and her family for Christmas. We see them every week and watch my two grandbabies often. My youngest daughter still lives with us. I pray we all stay healthy so we can be together at Christmas especially for my 7 month and 1 1/2 year grandbabies.

I'm VERY lucky to live where I do. Since the pandemic started, the county I live in which consists of 5 towns only has had 38 cases of Covid. I feel we are all doing a great job here staying safe.

so you are saying why bother, I say dead people bother me more than the inconvenience of going out to eat.

Now I'm really confused. What does going out to eat have to do with people's ability to purchase and store groceries for 6 weeks? I volunteer at our local rural food pantry. Because it's a small town, clients and volunteers run into each other all the time. These clients are who I think of, when I say they don't have the ability to purchase or store 6 weeks of food. And I don't see them at our local restaurants eating out a whole lot either.

My one son (25) was recently exposed to covid (guy knew he had symptoms and was waiting on covid test results) but gathered with friends anyways. So he didn't come for Thanksgiving. I delivered him food late that evening.

Other son (21) came, we set up a table in the garage (door open fully) for those of us who live together (husband, me, two daughters-19,22). Son had a tent just outside the garage with a nice cozy firepit and a tent overhead with a couple sides to block the wind.

Definitely a unique Thanksgiving but we made the best of it, brought a TV out and watched elf together safely. It was something we will remember.

Two problems with that idea: First, some things are time-sensitive (like food production) or can't readily be stockpiled (like gas), so they need to continue operations; no essential worker can just pop out and gas up the car with enough to last a month or more, and farmers can't put their livestock and crops on pause for weeks either. Second, most people in this country can't come up with a few hundred bucks for an emergency, so having the money (to say nothing of storage space) for a month or six weeks' worth of supplies for their household is unlikely. And of course, you're ignoring the entire issue of people who don't have stable housing right now and the tens of millions more who may lose it when the remaining eviction/foreclosure protections expire in less than four weeks. How do we issue a six-week lockdown without addressing the fact that many have no place to lock down in?

Time for throwback thursday for what happened when people did go out and buy up to stock up for several weeks. People couldn't get anything, online/curbside orders were useless because most items weren't in stock and the pick up window was weeks out.
Yep.

The idea that we can all go to the grocery store and buy 2x our normal amount is a non-starter. We couldn't get meat or pasta during the early stages of the pandemic and this was just with a "normal" shutdown.

Just saw a video from New Zealand where the person was saying that when they locked down, the only things open were hospitals, pharmacies and grocery stores. Only one person could go to the store and you could only get out and walk in your own neighborhood. They were not even allowed to “take a drive” because if you got in an accident, you would need care and potentially expose others or take resources away from the COVID battle. Not sure if this is the entire story, but could never imagine that happening here.

Just saw a video from New Zealand where the person was saying that when they locked down, the only things open were hospitals, pharmacies and grocery stores. Only one person could go to the store and you could only get out and walk in your own neighborhood. They were not even allowed to “take a drive” because if you got in an accident, you would need care and potentially expose others or take resources away from the COVID battle. Not sure if this is the entire story, but could never imagine that happening here.

I believe they did something like this in Italy during the worst of things. Basically confined to the house and only one person could go out and get necessities.

So you aren't in the store but somebody was because they were there doing YOUR shopping for you. That means that if everyone used curbside pick-up or delivery then they would all also have someone in the store shopping for them. Unless you believe that only one person in each store handles all incoming orders for pick-up and delivery and could handle that for the entire population of their towns so all residents could stay home like you did. That can't be the case though because you said you were smart, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter