Now they're going after Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know their website is permanent, right? Not just September/October? And that they even sell seasonal items not related to Halloween?

What makes their website operation different than many others is the fact they do the overwhelming majority of their business in the space of two months. Their Christmas operation is shadow of the scale of their Halloween one and they are not even the biggest player in the general non-holiday costume field.

See what's highlighted in red. This is NOT what was previously claimed.

It most certainly is. My entire point all along has been the vapid action of a school administrator replacing a traditional holiday school event with a hastily concocted one. Most likely because he was too busy boycotting Columbus day in favor of "indigenous people's day" back on October 9th.

Right, they are replacing it with founders day, honoring the namesake of the school which no one knows who he was. The date they are having it is in November. That “being inclusive” thing, it always ends up with at least a few who are excluded.

Again with the assumptions. You know what they say about those.

I think that when a Pope, head of the Church, makes a decision about when something is celebrated, it has religious origins. When disguises are used and the modern equivalent is costumes, still within the guidelines of a religious custom. When offering to do something and getting something to eat in return, still in the religious custom. Maybe you don’t want it to be true, but facts don’t care about you want.

It makes no difference what the roots of Halloween are. The fact is it is NOT considered a Christian holiday here in the states in any way, shape or form. And the Pope is the leader of the Catholic Church. He is not the leader of the hundreds of other Christian faiths. So doesn't matter.

And didn't you say you are part Native American? Why are you up in arms about the Principal not wanting to recognize Columbus Day? Wasn't it to make it a day about your own heritage?

I think that when a Pope, head of the Church, makes a decision about when something is celebrated, it has religious origins. When disguises are used and the modern equivalent is costumes, still within the guidelines of a religious custom. When offering to do something and getting something to eat in return, still in the religious custom. Maybe you don’t want it to be true, but facts don’t care about you want.

Are you talking about Pope Gregory III?

The question was about it being celebrated as a Christian holiday today. Not 1300 years ago.

While it does have deep roots, it really is just an event for many people. For some it is an actual holiday, yes, but not for everyone.

The same can be said about Christmas.

What exactly are they "taking away"? A party on (or close to) Halloween. But they're having a different party on a different day. Presumably the kids still get to go T-o-T, and can attend Halloween parties, go to Haunted Houses, whatever they'd like, so what is being "taken away"?

And didn't you say upthread there's no harm being done to the kids by changing this?

I’m not personally worried about this. But I think the feeling behind them “taking away Halloween” is that things that are the cultural norm in the US (and I personally would consider Halloween part of US culture) including traditions such as school activities are being diluted in an effort to be inclusive to other cultures.

While I think that we should be accepting and celebrating the multicultural society we live in, I do understand why people would feel upset that American culture is “not allowed” to be celebrated as it has been to be less offensive to others.

Most likely because he was too busy boycotting Columbus day in favor of "indigenous people's day" back on October 9th.
Schools in Massachusetts are closed on Columbus Day. Since we're making 100% unfounded and unsupported assumptions, mast likely he was home with his family and not personally or professionally concerned with how, if at all, students' families spent the day.

You should take this up with our State Legislature. Or Board of Education.

Pope Gregory IV. Halloween has religious origins, no matter that the meaning has gone away. To deny the origins of costumes, treats being given and going around the neighborhood because the meaning was lost and it feels comfortable that way. Holidays change in ways it is observed, time changes it, but origins remain.

I doubt the numerous, Hindus, Jews, and Muslims I know who trick or treat consider it a Christian holiday. My husband who grew up Hindu (now agnostic) considers it a pagan holiday because of it's roots in Samhain. It may have some religious origins but it's secular now. Things change and evolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter