NPR: Disney's attendance is up because of their security checks

FWIW,

I got Google Earth out and took the following measurements (unscientific):

Distance from Mandalay Bay to Concert Site: 1,175 feet
Distance from Bay Lake Towers to Tomorrowland: 1,732 feet

I don't know if the weapons used in the Vegas attack would handle the extra 500 feet easily or not.

For what it's worth, I started going to Disney parks when I started to feel unsafe most other places. In our "current world" (best way to put it without delving into forbidden territory/sparking debate) I purposely made the decision to explore my desire to check out the parks. The security is truly a draw for me. Granted, framing this in the way the interview sounds like it did might be a long shot. Bad things can happen anywhere, but it is true that they take security more seriously than a lot of places. I kind of wish everywhere had effective bag check & full body scans. (The reason I phrase it that way is TSA has been tested and shown coming up short, and that's one of the most obnoxious security processes so you'd think it'd be flawless.) There's no easy solution- we're heading into uncharted waters when it comes to this blend of tech/chemicals/weaponry/security/etc. I think it will get better-we're in a transition period. We as a society are trying to strike a balance between safe and invasive, and that's hard. Personally, I feel so much safer when I am relatively assured that there are no weapons (or at least objects created to be weaponry) on the people around me. I know that's different for everyone, which makes this all more challenging for those with decisions to make. At any rate, I have appreciated the security forces at Disney. As they don't release their data, it's kind of lame to cite it in an interview. Transparency is necessary when making data-related claims and assertions.
I would feel better about Disney if every person had to go through the metal detector. Are they doing that yet?

I would feel better about Disney if every person had to go through the metal detector. Are they doing that yet?
My experience at Disneyland this spring was yes-they had security checks all over. I was checked to get into resorts, parks, and Downtown Disney. I'm planning to be in FL in December-they definitely did at park entrances in late 2016.

My experience at Disneyland this spring was yes-they had security checks all over. I was checked to get into resorts, parks, and Downtown Disney. I'm planning to be in FL in December-they definitely did at park entrances in late 2016.

I think the metal detector checks are random in Florida. I know I've been pulled aside to go through them but I don't think everyone goes through them.

True story: it wasn't until the last day of my recent trip that I realized you didn't have to go through the metal detectors at the gates. I guess I'm conditioned to think that security measures like that are, you know, not really optional. So there I am sauntering up to the security guards to go through the detector with a smile on my face, assuming that everyone is doing the same (admittedly, I have no common sense). Every. Single. Time. No one ever said anything - they just passed me through with a "good day!" (and probably wondered what this idiot was doing). Finally paid attention and realized "wait a minute...those people skipped the detector...and those people...and those people, too!" Then my awesome (but incredibly slow) powers of deduction kicked in - mixed with feelings of stupidity and a bit of "are the detectors doing any good? what are the criteria for sending someone through? are these things even on?" Even the regional parks I go to make everyone go through detectors. Is it a hassle and does it slow everything down? Sure - but that's security.

And while most of the conversation above has focused on the security checks at the gates, I'd be more concerned about all the other potential access points throughout the parks. Any awful person who wanted to do something probably isn't terribly concerned with valid park admission or would want to avoid security checks (unless they're so lax that it's not really an issue).

Since they're discussing security at Vegas hotels, and he says the bit about metal detectors at Disney Resorts -- where are there? Are they hidden? I don't remember detectors at Resorts. Park entrances, yes, and similar since they're all on WDW property, but not quite the same.
I think this is poor wording on his part (along with...well, the entire statement) - my guess is that when he said "Disney Resorts" he didn't mean the hotels themselves, he meant each of the Disney properties - like they are in Florida, California, Paris, etc. Or he's just woefully ill-informed...
Just got back from WDW on Sunday - no, they are not. We went to Epcot, DHS and AK over the course of the weekend...

- At Epcot (only ever entered through the International Gateway), we went through the metal detectors every time. We'd hand our bags to security, as they checked them we went through the metal detectors
- At DHS, I honestly can't remember even seeing metal detectors, so I won't comment on that (I'm sure they were there, just can't remember how many/what we did, etc.)
- At AK, it was random. We went through bag check, I looked right at the WDW security guy after I went through and he looked back at me and said nothing. Then Mr. Ariel484 came through and the guy went to him and had him go through the metal detectors
- No metal detectors at the resorts (we never took the monorail) obviously, and no metal detectors at Disney Springs

I think the metal detector checks are random in Florida. I know I've been pulled aside to go through them but I don't think everyone goes through them.
Last week:
Park entries - 9
Times through a metal detector - 0

In the seven days that I was at Walt Disney World, I never went through a metal detector.

I think this is poor wording on his part (along with...well, the entire statement) - my guess is that when he said "Disney Resorts" he didn't mean the hotels themselves, he meant each of the Disney properties - like they are in Florida, California, Paris, etc. Or he's just woefully ill-informed...

Just got back from WDW on Sunday - no, they are not. We went to Epcot, DHS and AK over the course of the weekend...

- At Epcot (only ever entered through the International Gateway), we went through the metal detectors every time. We'd hand our bags to security, as they checked them we went through the metal detectors
- At DHS, I honestly can't remember even seeing metal detectors, so I won't comment on that (I'm sure they were there, just can't remember how many/what we did, etc.)
- At AK, it was random. We went through bag check, I looked right at the WDW security guy after I went through and he looked back at me and said nothing. Then Mr. Ariel484 came through and the guy went to him and had him go through the metal detectors
- No metal detectors at the resorts (we never took the monorail) obviously, and no metal detectors at Disney Springs

The last time I used the International Gateway entrance to Epcot everyone was going through metal detectors. That's the only park entrance I can remember everyone going through them.

When we went last year on the main esplanade it was this weird system. Bag check first, but then the metal detectors off to the side. The lines were basically curved, and a few times we got waved past them. It wasn’t any kind of tight control. The first time I kind of walked past it until someone pointed at us to get in line.

But the Grand Californian entrance to DCA required everyone to go through the metal detector.

The last time I used the International Gateway entrance to Epcot everyone was going through metal detectors. That's the only park entrance I can remember everyone going through them.
As I'm thinking about it more, I think you're right and that DHS was like AK - only pulling aside a few people at a time.
When we went last year on the main esplanade it was this weird system. Bag check first, but then the metal detectors off to the side. The lines were basically curved, and a few times we got waved past them. It wasn’t any kind of tight control. The first time I kind of walked past it until someone pointed at us to get in line.

But the Grand Californian entrance to DCA required everyone to go through the metal detector.
I remember the same thing from going to DLR in May at Grand Californian. But I got to the entrance to DTD from the Disneyland Hotel side and I THINK everyone had to go through the metal detectors there - similar to what I said about IG above, give bag to CM and as they are checking it, go through metal detectors. I think that was a recent change for my trip.

As I'm thinking about it more, I think you're right and that DHS was like AK - only pulling aside a few people at a time.

I remember the same thing from going to DLR in May at Grand Californian. But I got to the entrance to DTD from the Disneyland Hotel side and I THINK everyone had to go through the metal detectors there - similar to what I said about IG above, give bag to CM and as they are checking it, go through metal detectors. I think that was a recent change for my trip.

I'm assuming it's because the International Gateway is not nearly as busy as the main entrance.
Thinking about how the bag check lines can get fairly long during busy times, I don't know that it's really feasible for Disney to have everyone also go through a metal detector at the main entrance.

I found a picture.

o43yx8-b88665184z.120160315182938000gl8fddpt.10.jpg

Go through the bag check first, then to the metal detectors. The layout didn't really make any sense, as there were no ropes or partitions keeping people in tight lines from the bag check to the metal detectors.

The entrance at the Grand Californian was narrow, so they just did one after the other in a way that made sense.

FWIW,

I got Google Earth out and took the following measurements (unscientific):

Distance from Mandalay Bay to Concert Site: 1,175 feet
Distance from Bay Lake Towers to Tomorrowland: 1,732 feet

I don't know if the weapons used in the Vegas attack would handle the extra 500 feet easily or not.

That is frightening to consider.

That is frightening to consider.

He was shooting from a high position. That should theoretically be good for some additional effective range because gravity is adding energy. Accuracy wouldn't be good though. Most shooters aren't elite snipers who can drop a specific person from a quarter mile and continuous fire like the Vegas shooting definitely isn't shooting for accuracy. However - his target was a crowded place so pinpoint accuracy wasn't his goal as much as just placing his fire in a general area with a lot of people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter