NSAIDS and running - Avoid just Ibuprofen ?

mickeysgal

<font color=blue>Orange you glad I like Knock Knoc
I've avoided any and all NSAIDS during the 48 hours prior to and during a race. Some are now telling me that it's just ibuprofen that I need to avoid and products like Aleve (containing naproxen) is ok to take. If I take anything it is only Tylenol (Acetaminophen).

Coach - can you weigh in on this topic? Anyone else?

Oh crap, seriously? I JUST took a bunch of Motrin for my foot and I have a 9 mile race Saturday morning.

NSAIDS; aka - ibuprofen, aleve, aspirin, basically, everything but Tylenol are thought to be possibly detrimental to kidneys if consumed prior to and during endurance events. The rule is to not take 24-48 hours prior to the run and then not again until normal kidney function returns. I would think that for a run less than 2-3 hours the 24 hour winder would seem applicable while a marathon or longer would start to move to the 48 hour window.

NSAIDS; aka - ibuprofen, aleve, aspirin, basically, everything but Tylenol are thought to be possibly detrimental to kidneys if consumed prior to and during endurance events. The rule is to not take 24-48 hours prior to the run and then not again until normal kidney function returns. I would think that for a run less than 2-3 hours the 24 hour winder would seem applicable while a marathon or longer would start to move to the 48 hour window.

Perfect- thank you once again Coach.

Facebook friends tried to nominate me for an expo speaker spot a couple years back.

:mic:

In 2008, a buddy posted my photo here and on a couple other forums and I was approached by a forumite in Houston, here at MCO and more than a dozen times in the parks.

:wave2:

I say thanks, though, maybe I should have the booth at the expo, the staging area or at the finish. If it were along the race course I would have a tough time finishing...

Seriously, I do this because it was not too long ago that I was dying to understand many of the same issues asked about here.

Thanks for the kudos

Facebook friends tried to nominate me for an expo speaker spot a couple years back.

:mic:

In 2008, a buddy posted my photo here and on a couple other forums and I was approached by a forumite in Houston, here at MCO and more than a dozen times in the parks.

:wave2:

I say thanks, though, maybe I should have the booth at the expo, the staging area or at the finish. If it were along the race course I would have a tough time finishing...

Seriously, I do this because it was not too long ago that I was dying to understand many of the same issues asked about here.
Thanks for the kudos

And I'm sure the same questions are asked year after year here and you answer them each and every time with patience. Thank you for that.

And I'm sure the same questions are asked year after year here and you answer them each and every time with patience. Thank you for that.

The great thing is that I see my answers manifested among other forumites. I think that would be the other reward for doing this.

The patience thing is what keeps me away from the rD Facebook page... The faceless, snarky and downright mean attitude folks have on that page is really disheartening. Funny, I know about 4 of the snarky ones and I hope they do not come to roost here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter