Number of Guests That Stay In a Room Question

Heightshero

Earning My Ears
We are going down with my in-laws on our first offical DVC stay in November. We just closed on a contract a few weeks at SSR. We want to get a 1BR at SSR (home resort), or OKW for our stay.

We have 4 adults, a 7 year old and a 2 year old. The room says it sleeps 5 (Per booking site: Exclusive to Members Booking with Points: 5th Guest can be accommodated, but no additional bedding, linens or towels will be provided).

My question is will the 6 of us be able to stay in the room (not space wise, but by Disney rules wise), or will it be an issue? I could probably try to keep my 2 year old off the reservation, but would that cause issue with dining reservations and such? I'm trying to get a basic understanding of this before I book the room and start adding in our Guests.

Thanks so much!
See more

If you're considering OKW for the stay, be aware that the OKW 1BR have only one bathroom, and some require you go through the master to get to the bathroom. That might be something you'd want to avoid with the 6 of you, depending who's sleeping where. It's been a long time since we stayed SSR, so don't recall the configuration there - but I'm sure you can check it.

Also, the people listed on your room reservation won't impact anything with your dining ADRs. They're not directly related. You could have 6 in your room and book an ADR for 8 if you had 2 people joining you from another resort (or no resort).

Congrats on your new purchase! I'm sure you've been considering all your options with this being your first stay after buying. I'm sure you've been crunching the numbers for this trip, but I just wanted to call out that I might also consider with that amount of people depending on trip length doing 1 less day and going to a 2 bedroom. The jump from the 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom is pretty reasonable at SSR and you'd get a lot more space. You could also go with 2 studios I suppose but then you'd lose the full kitchen.

You'll know what works best for your family but I can just imagine in the 1 bedroom the 2-year-old trying to nap or something and it being hard to find the spaces around to do that so I just wanted to throw those two ideas out there.

SSR also has just 1 Bathroom, you need to stay at AK-K or BLT to get 2 bathrooms in a 1 BR unit.

I think you will survive staying in a 1 br.
You will love the points amount.
Almost hate everything else.
No privacy, 1 bathroom, 2 kids, 1set of grandparents

you are going from 6 people sleeping in 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms tonight,
to 1bedroom, 1 sofa bed and 1 bathroom.

We are going down with my in-laws on our first offical DVC stay in November. We just closed on a contract a few weeks at SSR. We want to get a 1BR at SSR (home resort), or OKW for our stay.

We have 4 adults, a 7 year old and a 2 year old. The room says it sleeps 5 (Per booking site: Exclusive to Members Booking with Points: 5th Guest can be accommodated, but no additional bedding, linens or towels will be provided).

My question is will the 6 of us be able to stay in the room (not space wise, but by Disney rules wise), or will it be an issue? I could probably try to keep my 2 year old off the reservation, but would that cause issue with dining reservations and such? I'm trying to get a basic understanding of this before I book the room and start adding in our Guests.

Thanks so much!
See more
FYI that info is a little out of date for SSR. The majority of 1BR's there do have a sleeping spot for a 5th person - linen etc provided. It is a pull down bed under the TV in the living area. And of course OKW has had the sleeper chair for the 5th person for awhile now but that doesn't have the same disclaimer for the 5th person.

Thanks so much!
See more
Congratulations. let us know your booking choice for trip and if you need more advice.

Six in a 1BR would be way too crowded for me. We get a minimum of a 1BR for our family of 4. We often get a 2BR (for the bathrooms). Like others have said, BLT and Kidani both have an extra bathroom in the 1 and 2 BR units, which is priceless IMHO.

Congratulations. let us know your booking choice for trip and if you need more advice.
We booked 7 nights in a 1BR at SSR. But after all the comments and help, we're going to try to switch to a 1BR at Kidani for the extra full bath at the 7th month window that starts in April. Fingers Crossed it's available!

Six in a 1BR would be way too crowded for me. We get a minimum of a 1BR for our family of 4. We often get a 2BR (for the bathrooms). Like others have said, BLT and Kidani both have an extra bathroom in the 1 and 2 BR units, which is priceless IMHO.
Agreed, an extra full bath is worth the extra points (which it's about the same anyway, unless we get Savanna View) on it's own. Think we're gonna go Kidani 1BR so we get that extra full bath for the Grandparents and 2 potty trained kids!

Agreed, an extra full bath is worth the extra points (which it's about the same anyway, unless we get Savanna View) on its own. Think we're gonna go Kidani 1BR so we get that extra full bath for the Grandparents and 2 potty trained kids!
Think about who’s going to sleep where. At Kidani you’ll have one king bed in the bedroom, a queen sofa bed in the living room, and a twin sleeper chair in the living room. Presumably the 2 year old will be in the pack n play in either room. DVC sofa beds are notoriously uncomfortable, and I personally wouldn’t ask my parents to sleep on one. I don’t think Kidani will have the Murphy beds replacing the sofa beds yet. I agree with @Brian Noble , we would want a 2 BR if traveling with grandparents.

Have to agree with @CarolynFH those sofa beds at AKV aren’t comfortable - I’ve slept on them & find the sleeper chair to be marginally more comfortable. I assume the SSR Murphy sofa pull down in the living room is like the ones in the VGF & they’re quite comfortable. In fact, we get 2 br.s at AKV for our party of 3 because the sleeper sofas are so bad & we want ‘real’ beds whereas w/ the Murphy bed at VGF we are fine w/ the 1 br.s.
If your family is used to sleeping in hotel rooms, then you should be fine.
I would put the grandparents in the master bedroom w/ the king bed, giving them some privacy, Disney days are demanding physically as is being w/ young kids 24/7, the grandparents will likely need that retreat space to recharge.
There’s plenty of room for you & spouse to have the Murphy Queen w/ the 7 year old on the pull down single under the TV in the living room at SSR. The 2 year old gets the pack & play. I enjoy the kitchen space & the in villa washer/dryers in the 1 br.s.
Is it the lap of luxury, probably not, but certainly more enjoyable than having 4 or 5 people in much smaller hotel rooms & studios.

We had seven at a 2-bedroom at SS and found it cramped trying to move around, and the bathroom setup of walking through the bedroom to get to the bathroom was weird and annoying. A total waste of usable space, which also led to tight kitchen/living area. Ain't no WAY I'd be trying all those folks in a one-bedroom, even with an extra bathroom at AK. Definitely try for a 2-bedroom and maybe buy one-time-use points if you're a smidge short? Promise, you'll be so glad you did!

A total waste of usable space
The DVC 2.0 resorts (SSR, VWL, BWV, BCV) are my least favorite in the entire system in terms of layout. The living areas are too small for the overall capacity of the 2BRs. Heck, it's barely suitable for capacity as a 1BR, and the LRs are the same in both.

The DVC 2.0 resorts (SSR, VWL, BWV, BCV) are my least favorite in the entire system in terms of layout. The living areas are too small for the overall capacity of the 2BRs. Heck, it's barely suitable for capacity as a 1BR, and the LRs are the same in both.
Totally agree! It's a bummer, too, because we really love the BWV and BCV location and cheap SAP SSR points and BR for WL holidays and that beautiful rotunda in their more intimate lobby. So much wasted space with that crappy foyer, angled walkway into the kitchen, strangely 4" narrow side kitchen cabinetry, small living room, but yet giant master bedroom with that triangular pie for the wash room attached to the bathroom -- attached to the open bathroom sink area -- just a hot mess.

I love the CC and RR alley/galley kitchen, large open foyer for scooters, and especially the cubbies at CC to stow your shoes and gear. Bucket list for us is CC 2-bedroom since they're small to begin with, but at least the layout is good.

I think part of the foyer design was intended to fix the OKW lockoff "You can hear everything your neighbors do" problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter