• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nurses....what is the MOST painful Shot given

I'd have to say the Humira shot I have to give myself. I wasted a pen because I couldn't keep my finger on the plunger for more than a second. I have to have someone else give it to me so that I make sure I get the full dose.

Oops! Didn't notice it was an old threatd

Well, I'm still only a student and I've only given subcutaneous shots so far. Still hoping to get some IM's in! TDAP always left my arm pretty sore, in my opinion. I also thought that gardasil was particularly painful. Then again, I think I was like 13 when I got it. Lol!

Well, not from personal experience in getting immunizations, but I give them all day long.

Tetanus, either DTaP or Tdap, depending on age, is absolutely the least painful. Most infants/young children I give DTaP too, and adolescents I give the Tdap to, I rarely get any response from them. Most of the teens say, "that's it?". Yep :) Now, I do warn them that it could possibly get very sore in a day or so.

Now, most painful, I would say is the Gardisil. I do get reactions from my teens that look something like this :scared1: Runner-up to the Gardisil would be the MMR. The second and last MMR is usually given at the 4 yr visit. I frequently get this reaction :sad:

Tetanus, either DTaP or Tdap, depending on age, is absolutely the least painful. Most infants/young children I give DTaP too, and adolescents I give the Tdap to, I rarely get any response from them. Most of the teens say, "that's it?". Yep :) Now, I do warn them that it could possibly get very sore in a day or so.

Now, most painful, I would say is the Gardisil. I do get reactions from my teens that look something like this :scared1: Runner-up to the Gardisil would be the MMR. The second and last MMR is usually given at the 4 yr visit. I frequently get this react :sad:
Well, not from personal experience in getting immunizations, but I give them all day long.

Now, most painful, I would say is the Gardisil. I do get reactions from my teens that look something like this :scared1: Runner-up to the Gardisil would be the MMR. The second and last MMR is usually given at the 4 yr visit. I frequently get this reaction :sad:

Well, the tetanus shot might be initially the least painful, but I got one over a year ago and still have pain in that muscle in my upper arm. :(

The most painful shot I've gotten was cortisone in my foot.

I was just looking back at rabies shot descriptions. It's changed since then- much less painful. I got a series in my arms over the course of 3 weeks. They told me I was lucky they don't have to use the belly anymore.

My friend at work had to have the series last fall and she said it was VERY painful. She has four kids and said childbirth was a piece of cake compared to this. She got bit in her forearm and had to get 9 shots there plus one in each upper arm every three days for three weeks. Where did you get bit?

Ah, I knew it! Lol. I just thought I was overreacting.

Well, the tetanus shot might be initially the least painful, but I got one over a year ago and still have pain in that muscle in my upper arm. :(

The most painful shot I've gotten was cortisone in my foot.

Oh, I agree that the aftermath of the tetanus can be VERY painful. That's why I warn parents/patients that even though it is an easier vaccine to receive, it can definitely cause a lot of pain/redness/swelling a day or so later. It can last for days or even more than 1 week.

Have you brought it up to your doc about your arm pain? That is definitely unusual.

Ah, I knew it! Lol. I just thought I was overreacting.

No, you are not over-reacting. It stings like crazy, from what my patients say. Occasionally, I do get a patient that says it is an easy vaccine. But that is not the norm.

When I worked pscyh I always hated giving the Haldol Decanoate shot. It was like pushing molasses, just the thickest stuff I've ever seen. The patients always said those shot hurt worse than any other they got. I'm sure it's because it takes SOOOO long to give.

My friend at work had to have the series last fall and she said it was VERY painful. She has four kids and said childbirth was a piece of cake compared to this. She got bit in her forearm and had to get 9 shots there plus one in each upper arm every three days for three weeks. Where did you get bit?
Mine was a non-bite exposure to a possibly-rabid bat's saliva. I was very low risk but decided to go ahead with the shots for peace of mind. I had a shot in the arm at 0, 3, 7, 14, and 21 days. On day 0 I also got a shot of immunoglobulin in my thigh. They were painful but not excruciating. Since I didn't have a bite, I guess I missed out on that portion of the shots!

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder last year. The doctor injected novocaine first and I asked him if why it was necessary. He said he likes to give it first because the shot hurts like heck in a spot where the patient already has pain. He was right. Even with the novocaine, it still hurt like heck! The doctor talked about random stuff throughout the injection process to keep my mind off the pain!

Cause I think I got it!! I have an infection and got a strong antibiotic shot. Now I've had my share of shots before but NEVER have I had anything like this. The actual pric didn't feel any different from any but afterwards, OMG I felt like my entire leg and hip was going to fall off from burning. My mother said I turned as white as a sheet. I thought I was having a reaction or something but the nurse said it was one of the most painful shots out there. So now its still hurting and burning off and on.

So what was it?? Any ideas?? All I know was a strong antibiotic.
I had a penicillin shot today it looks white and have to use the biggest needle for that antibiotic and it did burn a little and now my lower area is very sore

Zombie thread from 2005 but I'll play.

Worst was cortisone shot in my foot. I just about fell off the chair.

The shots they gave my kids in their backsides for strep nearly killed them.

My shot/injection for my spinal tap was the worst pain EVER.

I had to take 12 weeks of progesterone oil injections for my last pregnancy. That needle is huge! And the oil is so thick. They are given intramuscular in the butt. My heinie was hamburger by the time I was finished. I had nerve damage for a couple of years after those shots.

I had the progesterone in the butt, coritsone in feet & knees, Tetanus, shingles, a long with the annual flu shots. The cortisone shots in the feet were painful but nothing that was that bad, for me. My worst was the lubricant (can’t recall the actual name) injection into my knee. It’s a series of 3 and just had the first one. Not looking forward to Thursday, for the 2nd.

I received the pneumonia vaccine this year, and the aftereffects were the most painful I have ever had. I knew it was from the immune response, but it still sucked for a couple of days. My whole shoulder and arm hurt, and I could swear my lymph nodes became swollen. The tetanus is a walk in the park, and I only pray I will never need an antibiotic IM shot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter