• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nursing home stocking stuffers?

la79al

DIS Veteran
As of today, both of my grandparents are in a physical therapy rehab place. They might get a 4 hour pass for Christmas Eve (when we traditionally do the big Christmas thing with them) or we will go to the rehab place and do CE there. I was also thinking though about filling a stocking for each of them and asking some of the staff members to place them in their room before they wake up Christmas morning. I'm really at a loss on what to put in the stockings though. Both of them spend most of the day in bed watching TV or sleeping so I'm not even sure if I can come up with enough ideas. Suggestions?

Hand lotions in small containers, new toothbrush, toothpaste and other toiletries. If they are not on restricted diets, candy would be nice. Do either of them read or do puzzles, maybe a book or magazine?

How about those TV remote controls with really big buttons on them (easier to hit and see)?

Puzzle books, maginzes, warm socks with grippers. small lotions, body washes. maybe some paper and stamps to write letters to friends. Munchies if diet allows.

playing cards, treats, nuts, toothbrush, toothpaste, Big Orange or Apple, Banana, Nail clipper

Great idea to do this :)

Individually wrapped cookies
Nice box of tissues(the ones they get are awful)
perfume, cologne
$$ in their acct. or coupon for haircut (most places have a beauty parlor)

Plug in or non plug in air freshner in holiday scent, Cute door decoration and non stick plastic hook for thier door, Neck roll pillow, Bicycle horn for their walker/wheelchair, Magazines, sugar free mints, santa hats or christmas jewelry, flavored international coffees, holiday balloons, snacks in covered containers & a family photo to hang up in their room.

My gma has lived in a nursing home the last several years. We usually give her lap blankets, fleece jackets, pump bottle lotions, or decorations for her window or door. One year I got her a silly stuffed cat that said different things and that was one of her favs.

Options are pretty limited and she can't see so I usually send her one of those and some candy. She keeps a drawer of it that she either snacks on or offers to guests and staff where she lives.

I work in a nursing home. Just be careful with giving some things-you may want to check with the facility on some things. For example at ours no plug in air fresheners are allowed (fire hazard). Also no nail files, anything medicated (some lotions) or alcohol containing ( like some mouthwashes). Sounds silly but it's for the safety of the residents and we do have to do room sweeps monthly and remove anything they can't have. We then have to call the families to come pickup whatever they can't have.

Nothing they can get choked on/ hard stuff! Body lotion, warm socks, throws/afgans, soft meltable candy (hershey bars) , room sprays (Lysol), music, movies, soft drinks, pictures of family, pens and writting pads, soaps and body sprays, deodorant, nail care items/polish, hair clips or ties, flanel gowns, sweat pants/tops, robes, sweaters, books, DVDs, cards, games! No hard fruits (apples, etc)! Nothing hard to chew or eat with dentures!:scared1:

Is there a candy that either one talks about getting as a kid? I remember my grandma always had orange slice candy and Red Bird stick peppermint candy. Anytime I see either of these I think of her.

Soooo, if they can have sweets, maybe that's something to think about.

my granma said she alwasy got an orange in her stocking as a kid -- and so maybe a big orange. a tiny pack of klenexes. chap stick.

We always did stockings for aging family members, some in care homes, some still at home. Everything mentioned = good ideas!

For peeking out the top - this sounds odd but we gave everyone a beanie-sized stuffed animal or character - "manly" space creatures, sharks, crabs, or aliens for Grandpas and more traditional animals, etc. for Grandma. These objects, oddly enough, become real favorites with the recipients - they are small and can fit on a dresser or be tucked into a drawer.

Have fun!

Individually wrapped cookies
Nice box of tissues(the ones they get are awful)
perfume, cologne
$$ in their acct. or coupon for haircut (most places have a beauty parlor)
I know place I worked at wasn't norm but we had Kleenex brand tissues, better than what I use at home.

My MIL asked for an assortment of greeting cards (birthday, wedding, sympathy, thank you, etc.) because she couldn't get out to buy them. It was nice for her to be able to keep up with her family and friends that way.

My grandma loves to get her favorite candy, black licorice. Everybody always sends her chocolate, and she confided in me that she gives it away, but keeps the licorice we send for herself!

I've worked in s nsg home for 22 yrs. they love visits. Baby dolls are also good choices. With Alzheimer's PTs they relive when their kids are little.

My MIL asked for an assortment of greeting cards (birthday, wedding, sympathy, thank you, etc.) because she couldn't get out to buy them. It was nice for her to be able to keep up with her family and friends that way.

My grandma loves to get her favorite candy, black licorice. Everybody always sends her chocolate, and she confided in me that she gives it away, but keeps the licorice we send for herself!

Just something I remembered when I read this...
http://blogs.webmd.com/breaking-news/2011/10/black-licorice-dangerous-candy.html
but this is usually only in the imported kind I believe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter