NY Cruise to Bermuda

NoodlesMom

DIS Veteran
Please help this Texas girl out. I’m planning a 4 night Bermuda cruise in early October. I have two adult kids and a 4 year old. The big kids will fly to NY with us and sightsee the first three days.

We will get on the cruise day 4. I need help! I’m looking for the best place to stay in NY for the first 3 days. I would like to be semi close to the cruise terminal. From what I can see, hotel prices are a bit high. Any economical ideas for a hotel are welcome.

NYC is pretty easy to get around so I wouldn’t worry about staying right next to the cruise terminal. If you can’t find something affordable in Manhattan then look at Brooklyn and Jersey City.

Please help this Texas girl out. I’m planning a 4 night Bermuda cruise in early October. I have two adult kids and a 4 year old. The big kids will fly to NY with us and sightsee the first three days.

We will get on the cruise day 4. I need help! I’m looking for the best place to stay in NY for the first 3 days. I would like to be semi close to the cruise terminal. From what I can see, hotel prices are a bit high. Any economical ideas for a hotel are welcome.

“Semi-close” and “economical” are very subjective and different people will have different parameters for each. It might help with suggestions if you gave some distances and price-ranges you’d be OK with.

Re the hotels, wherever you end up booking, I’d suggest a booking you can cancel or change without penalty, rather than a non-refundable rate. My experience with NYC hotels is the rates will usually drop the closer it gets to the arrival date. I have cancelled & rebooked at a lower rate many times leading up to my arrival, and end up saving about 20%-25% off the rate when Initially booked. This varies by hotel, location, and time of year.

NYC hotels are expensive. No getting around that. Many in our cruise group are opting to stay across the Hudson River in NJ and taking the ferry over to sightsee in NY. Times Square is pretty close to the Port but can be very costly.

We are lucky that we live only 20 miles from the port in the suburbs of NYC so we drive in and park at the port on cruise day. We are on the 10-7-23 6 night to Bermuda.

I agree with finding a rate that can be cancelled and rebooked closer to sail date if prices drop.

MJ

If you can get the midtown hilton at a reasonable rate, that one has a nice location for touristy things and isn't terribly far from the port. And it's not terribly hard to get a cab from there.

NYC hotels are expensive. No getting around that. Many in our cruise group are opting to stay across the Hudson River in NJ and taking the ferry over to sightsee in NY. Times Square is pretty close to the Port but can be very costly.

We are lucky that we live only 20 miles from the port in the suburbs of NYC so we drive in and park at the port on cruise day. We are on the 10-7-23 6 night to Bermuda.

I agree with finding a rate that can be cancelled and rebooked closer to sail date if prices drop.

MJ
May I ask where you can park at the port?

I'm on the same cruise @mmouse37 !
NYC has parking right at the terminal. I believe it's $45/night currently and can be prebooked online.
See you onboard!!! Are you on FB group? We are probably going to park right at the port. Reservations have opened up now to reserve parking there. The other day you could only book reservations a week or so before your cruise but now you can book all the way out to our cruise. For the 6 night cruise it is $270 for parking.

We have parked a few times right at the port...so easy and convenient.

DSC09255.JPG

MJ

If you're going to be sightseeing for three days, then you want to be somewhere in midtown. Some of the hotels in that area are crazy expensive, but not all of them are. Any hotel near a subway line will make sightseeing much easier. On my very first visit to NYC many years ago, I stayed out in Queens and took the train in every day. That was... an experience. Better to just stay closer to where you want to be, if you can.

There aren't many hotels near the cruise terminal, though. The closest one is Ink48 and there might be one or two others. Unfortunately, the subway doesn't really go out that way. The best you can do is about a mile away. If you have a lot of luggage or kids, or if you just don't want to walk down 50th (it's not so bad!), then you'll need to get a taxi or something. Any decent hotel can call you a car if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

See you onboard!!! Are you on FB group? We are probably going to park right at the port. Reservations have opened up now to reserve parking there. The other day you could only book reservations a week or so before your cruise but now you can book all the way out to our cruise. For the 6 night cruise it is $270 for parking.

We have parked a few times right at the port...so easy and convenient.

View attachment 779510

MJ

Yup, I'm in the FB group, can't wait!!
We are actually getting dropped off by family because we're super close to the terminal. We've sailed out of NYC before, never DCL. I have always noticed how convenient and close the parking is.

All good comments. Maybe start thinking about what you all want to do in/near NYC first. Agree wrto Midtown or TimesSquare . . . and Queens.

I hate wasting money BUT, this will be 3 days in a place you/family may never visit again. Maybe the time to fork over the extra $600 ($200 more per night than a reasonable price) to feel safe and have a great visit. Heck, we do it for WDW regularly.

Yup, I'm in the FB group, can't wait!!
We are actually getting dropped off by family because we're super close to the terminal. We've sailed out of NYC before, never DCL. I have always noticed how convenient and close the parking is.

We are also figuring out if we will get dropped off or park. We are about 20 miles north of GWB.

MJ

I live NJ and work in NYC years back.
DH and I are taking our 4th DCL out of Manhattan (NYC) this fall. So, we just drive in or get dropped off.

Mid-town Manhattan is your best for getting around, lots of subway lines, buses and taxis.
The cruise terminal is on the west side.
Streets running West to East are very long. The streets running North to South are shorter. So, if you stay on 8th Ave and want to walk to terminal it’s much further than it seems. Your best bet is to Uber or Taxi to port, but allow for traffic.

Hotels it’s up to you and what your budget allows. An east side hotel will put you further from the port.
But if you never been to NYC live it up, if your wallet allows.

The cruise terminal is at 12th Avenue aka Westside Highway and 48th it’s right next to the US Intrepid.
So, westside hotel will be closer.

Figure out what sightseeing your going to do if it’s Radio City, Rockefeller Center, Central Parka and Time Square, then you want to stay midtown.

If you planning on doing Freedom Tower, 911 Memorial, High line, Statue of Liberty, Chinatown and Little Italy than downtown or lower west side.

If it’s a combo, than maybe just closer to westside.

Some folks stay across the Hudson in Jersey City or Hoboken and take the Path Train into the city.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.🚢👍🏻

👍 @Kwami and @DisneyConvert ! Book your hotel based on what you want to do with those 3 days in NYC.

What are you hoping to see / do / what forms of transportation will you use - are cabs out due to car seats? How do you feel about subways? Do you need to go back to the hotel to rest during the day?

As always, book some hotel you are okay with and change as needed to suit your plans - I always book direct with a no- deposit, cancellable rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter