• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~NY Family...1st trip to Disneyland....need some help

joenan88

DIS Veteran
Hi all, we are taking the kids for the 1st time over February break this year to Disneyland. We have been to WDW seversal times but I really know nothing about Disneyland...all I am being told is it is different then WDW..that's it. It is hard to find people who have been to DL....1st off how is the crowd level for that time of year??? when are people in CA off from school in Feb?
* There are 2 parks associated with Disneyland??
* Can I see both parks in one day??
* What are the most popular rides in each of tho parks??
* Does the fastpass work the same as in WDW??
* What is the biggest "must do"?
Thanks for your help...I am learning ;)

I'm in the same position as you. Going to DLR for the first time since I was a little kids this January...and I've been to WDW several times in the past few years. I asked the same question on this board a month or so ago and was given this link to a DLR guide for WDW veterans: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

It is probably the most complete description that I've found on the internet.

Have fun reading. It's very long but a good read.

1st off how is the crowd level for that time of year??? when are people in CA off from school in Feb?
The only consistant time off with schools around here is President's Day weekend. In 2010 it is Feb. 12-15 (some schools give that Fri off too for Lincoln's bday)

* There are 2 parks associated with Disneyland?? Can I see both parks in one day??
YES!! DLR (Disneyland Resort) includes DL (Disneyland, like Magic Kingdom) and DCA (Disney California Adventure). They are litterally across the walkway from one another. You can go to both parks in one day (any 2+ day tickets are park hoppers). I would allow at least 3 days to see both parks.

What are the most popular rides in each of tho parks??
Line wise:
DL: Indiana Jones, Splash Mt., Space Mt, Peter Pan
DCA: CA Screamin', Grizzley River Rapids, Soarin over CA

* Does the fastpass work the same as in WDW??
Check Hydroguys threads on DLR for WDW vets posted above. I'm not sure how they work in WDW

Everyone's different, but I'd say: Fantasmic! (but it'll be down in Feb this year), Alladin show in DCA, for WDW vets I think POTC, Space Mt, and Tiki Room (heard they are tons better than WDW).

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=33.7994415&lon=-117.9152727&z=17&l=0&m=b
Here is a good interactive map that shows you how close the 2 parks are and what is in the surrounding area (hotels, etc).

I am assuming you are coming during Presidents Week. I would assume it will be busy. It's hard to say what each school district's calendar looks like. For instance, I am in Central CA and for the last few years, my kids have had the whole week off. This year, they are only getting that Monday off. Also take into account the neighboring states (Utah and Arizona). They can make up a big chunk of park visitors during their holiday breaks. I'm assuming you will be out here for a few days at least? You can still see & do everything even if it's busy. Just read these boards for planning strategies! Get there early every day, leave mid-afternoon, come back in the evening and use those Fast Passes!!!!

Thanks everyone..what a big help!!! I will read the other thread, as well. I am going for 8 nights from NY..2 adults and 3 kids (12, 9 and 8)..4 nights Anaheim area (we are staying with friends that just moved to San Clemente from NY)...4 nights LA area..staying onsite Universal Studios Hilton for 4 nights....:)

Check Hydroguys threads on DLR for WDW vets posted above. I'm not sure how they work in WDW
Here is a link:

"A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

FPs work the same but at DLR there are a few loopholes you should understand. See above link...

Hi all, we are taking the kids for the 1st time over February break this year to Disneyland.
Be careful which days of the week you choose. Feb is off-season at DLR (except Prez Day weekend) and off-season at DLR is different than WDW. See "What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889

For a WDW vet - Indiana Jones. Next is Indiana Jones. And third is Indiana Jones. ;)

After those three :laughing:

Space Mtn (way better at DL)
POTC (longer and better at DL)
Matterhorn
Nemo Subs (unique to DL but most are a bit underwhelmed by the subs)
StoryBookLand Canal Boats
Alice in Wonderland

At DCA

Aladdin show (shown Thu-Sun, plan accordingly - it is really good)
California Screamin
Animation Studios (great for kids of all ages including fully grown ones ;))
Monsters Inc (a ride, not a show like at MK)

and don't forget the big lines at Toy Story Mania in DCA...

Thanks everyone..what a big help!!! I will read the other thread, as well. I am going for 8 nights from NY..2 adults and 3 kids (12, 9 and 8)..4 nights Anaheim area (we are staying with friends that just moved to San Clemente from NY)...4 nights LA area..staying onsite Universal Studios Hilton for 4 nights....:)

Just wanted to point out that San Clemente isn't that close to Anaheim and you might get tired of driving back and forth for 4 days, especially after spending the whole day in the parks. Of course, free lodging is worth something so that helps but I just wanted to make you aware that it's not that close so you're not surprised.

Hope you have a great trip and feel free to ask more questions as they come up!

Just wanted to point out that San Clemente isn't that close to Anaheim and you might get tired of driving back and forth for 4 days, especially after spending the whole day in the parks. Of course, free lodging is worth something so that helps but I just wanted to make you aware that it's not that close so you're not surprised.

Hope you have a great trip and feel free to ask more questions as they come up!
I did not read the OP close enough. I thought San Clemente was for the other part of the trip - not the DLR part. the OP is from NY and thus I would guess accustomed to traffic. That experience ;) will come in handy as the commute from San Clemente up to DLR will probably be frustrating because of the traffic on I-5.

Since the OP is from NY/Long Island they might not be averse to taking Metrolink from San Clemente. From the Anaheim train station you can get a taxi or ART or the OCTA #430 bus. The #430 only runs during commute hours.

Disneyland and CA Adventure are right across from each other. You come though the security screening and then look right to CA Adventure, or left to Disneyland. My recommendation is to send one person off to CA Adventure and pick up some FP's for Soar'in over CA. This ride always has a long line. Sometimes even the FP line is long (like yesterday for instance). Once you get the fast passes, join back up with your group and go to Disneyland and have a good time. I'd say after lunch-ish is a good time to head back to CA Adventure. It seems to me that this park is often busy in the morning and less busy in the late afternoon. Yesterday (a Saturday) the kids did about 6 runs through CA Screaming w/o fast passes, just waiting in the line (about 15 mins or less). We went to Florida Disneyland a few years ago and found it to be very very similar to Ca Disneyland.

Just yesterday I learned this..
When you get a fast pass, there is a time on it that shows when you can get your next pass. What I learned was this applies to the park you got it at. So, that is why I say, grab a pass at CA Soaring at CA Adventure then go to Disneyland and get your next fast pass and go on some rides. Typically, we get our first FP in Disneyland for Space Mountain. Space Mountain fast passes go really fast so if you wait too long your pass to return might be later in the day then you want.

I guess I should clarify again..I am staying in San Clemente and only going to DL for one day. We have so much to see....I need a game plan for the day....our friends are going with us and said DL was about 30 minutes away...so we will be there at rope drop...is that what DL calls it?? :rotfl:

and I am concerned because we are going over Presidents weekend...we arrive 02/12 (friday) so that day is no good...then we have Sat, Sun and Mon before we head back to LA for 4 nights...it can not be changed...which day would you all choose???

and I am concerned because we are going over Presidents weekend...we arrive 02/12 (friday) so that day is no good...then we have Sat, Sun and Mon before we head back to LA for 4 nights...it can not be changed...which day would you all choose???

Could you stay on property 1 night and go in MM for Sunday? I would suggest if possible staying either on property or across the street to max your day and take advantage of the early morinng hours as much as possible. If you can't stay on property, stay across the street.

I guess I should clarify again..I am staying in San Clemente and only going to DL for one day. We have so much to see....I need a game plan for the day....our friends are going with us and said DL was about 30 minutes away...so we will be there at rope drop...is that what DL calls it?? :rotfl:

Okay, that won't be so bad then if you're only going for one day. Yes, it will probably take around 30 minutes but keep in mind it will take another 20-30 minutes to park the car, take the tram (or walk) and then get in line to go through the gates. We used to live 30 minutes from DLR but it took us an hour before we were actually in the park.

And, if you do drive, have the driver drop everyone at the Esplandade before heading over to park. That way they can get in line for rope drop (yes, it's called rope drop at DLR, too!) and the driver can join up with them after parking the car. This should save you a good 20-30 minutes waiting on your first ride (especially if you want to hit Peter Pan first).

Oooh, that's a tough one. One day at DLR, and over a holiday weekend at that, which day would I choose? Others might disagree, but if I'm thinking strategy-wise, I would probably look at Sunday, 02/14. This is because the 13th/14th/15th are blocked out for both So Cal AP's and the 13th/14th are blocked out for the Deluxe AP. I'm thinking that maybe the day sandwiched in between the two other block out days MIGHT be less crowded. And locals without an AP MIGHT be inclined to go on their first full day off rather than on Sunday. Then again, since locals would need to be back in work by Tuesday, maybe Monday would be the best? Others might have a different opinion.

One thing to remember using your FP, it won't work in a park your group hasn't officially entered that park yet. IE go through the turnstile.

If one person of your group tries to run to DCA with your tickets to get FP for later, they won't work in the FP machine if your party hasn't gone through the turnstile. :sad2: Or didn't as of a year ago.

MMH are a huge help, and there are a lot of little places across the street that are not too expensive, under $ 100 for the night, if that is an option at all. You can experience Space and Buzz Lightyear or the Fantasy Land rides before things get crazy busy, then hit rope drop for Indiana, Splash, HM, BTMRR.

If we time it right, we can do all the musts before noon, then head over to DCA for the afternoon, and get back in time for parades and Fantasmic at DLR.

Have a magical time!

One thing to remember using your FP, it won't work in a park your group hasn't officially entered that park yet. IE go through the turnstile.

If one person of your group tries to run to DCA with your tickets to get FP for later, they won't work in the FP machine if your party hasn't gone through the turnstile. :sad2: Or didn't as of a year ago.

But (and fellow DISers, correct me if my info is no longer accurate) as long as every member of your group has gone through ONE turnstile (either Disneyland or DCA) one member of your group can hop over to the other park and grab fastpasses. Your hoppers just need to be activated for the day at one park, not both to get the Fastpasses.

MMH are a huge help, and there are a lot of little places across the street that are not too expensive, under $ 100 for the night, if that is an option at all. You can experience Space and Buzz Lightyear or the Fantasy Land rides before things get crazy busy, then hit rope drop for Indiana, Splash, HM, BTMRR.

Magic Mornings are the bomb! It's one of the main reasons we'll be staying at the DLH this time around (in order to take advantage of the three mornings of our stay with MM). You do need either a 3-day park hopper (which gets you one MM) or to be staying at a DLR hotel (PP, DLH, or GCH) in order to have access to MM for a one day park ticket.

Magic Mornings are the bomb! It's one of the main reasons we'll be staying at the DLH this time around (in order to take advantage of the three mornings of our stay with MM). You do need either a 3-day park hopper (which gets you one MM) or to be staying at a DLR hotel (PP, DLH, or GCH) in order to have access to MM for a one day park ticket.
But - the flip side of the coin - if you can't take advantage of MMH then IMO you should try to avoid those days because the parks will already be somewhat populated when the turnstiles open at the advertised opening time. On non-MMH days (MWF) the turnstiles will usually open early so you can be on Main Street at the advertised time rope drop and be amongst the first to stampede into the empty park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter