NY metro area vs Los Angeles metro area, which reigns supreme?

Because you cannot use a car in NYC? Sorry, I'm not getting how this is a "flip side"? My family that live in Manhattan all have cars (well, mainly SUVs but you get the point).
Never been, just the impression I have gotten from friends who took jobs in NYC (at ABC, NBC and CBS). They all got rid of their cars because they weren't practical to own there (or so they said). And a couple transferred to Los Angeles and had to get cars again because it wasn't practical not to have one there.

I travel to both for work, I will be in NYC (actually Jersey City) again this evening through Friday. Given only the two choices, I prefer NYC. While both suffer from the same big city problems, I find that I like the vibe and activities better in NYC. I have no desire to live in either - but if I had to for work - I would still choose NYC.

Most folks in the nyc metro area have cars out of the city. I can walk to a bus stop and get into the city, I can walk to a bus stop that will take me to a train to get into the city. My nieces flew in this weekend and we drove them to an express bus (5 minute drive) because they have tickets to a concert in Brooklyn.

I've never visited other parts of NY. Just been to Manhattan several times and explored Brooklyn and the Bronx a little last week.
The best value restaurants are generally in the other parts of the city. We like Nick's in Forest Hills and St. Anselm in Williamsburg. Every talks about Peter Lugers but St Anselm is better and a far superior value. I always get the hanger steak. Excellent everytime.

Hockey
LA Kings 2014
NY Rangers 1994

Basketball
LA Lakers 2020
NY Knicks 1973

Football
LA Rams 2022
NY Giants 2012

Baseball
LA Dodgers 2020
NY Yankees 2009

Soccer
LA 2022
NY 2021

New York, What Have You Done For Me Lately?

LAFC vs RSL last night:🤦‍♂️

Depends on what your priorities are.

LA -> DL 26 miles
NYC -> WDW 1091 miles
Disneyland is in the LA metro area these days. So is Knott's Berry Farm, Magic Mountain, and Universal Studios. There's the beach. The weather is usually nice. The food scene on everything but the high end surpassed New York's long ago. If you're eating $300 a plate food (or more) on someone else's dime New York wins. But other than that, Los Angeles wins.

Driving yes but if you are flying....

LA -> DL (driving during bad traffic) 2 hours
NYC -> WDW (flying) 2 hours...

:)
Ahem. I think you forgot a few things on that NYC to WDW flying.

Getting to the airport 30 minutes.
Arriving 2 hours early to make sure you get through everything. 2 hours.
Flying. 2 hours 56 minutes Average.
Waiting for luggage. 30 minutes. It was so short because they notified you yours didn't arrive.
Getting to WDW from airport 15 minutes.

That's 6 hours 11 minutes.

Well, NYC has plenty of problems, but Metro LA is pretty close to the bottom. The only places that are worse are Portland and San Fransisco - a total sewer.

I would pick NYC.

GREEEEEN ACRES IS THE PLACE TO BE

FARM LIVIN IS THE LIFE FOR ME.

LAND STRETCHIN OUT SO FAR AND WIDE

KEEP MANHATTAN JUST GIVE ME THAT COUNTRYSIDE.

Disneyland is in the LA metro area these days. So is Knott's Berry Farm, Magic Mountain, and Universal Studios. There's the beach. The weather is usually nice. The food scene on everything but the high end surpassed New York's long ago. If you're eating $300 a plate food (or more) on someone else's dime New York wins. But other than that, Los Angeles wins.

Ahem. I think you forgot a few things on that NYC to WDW flying.

Getting to the airport 30 minutes.
Arriving 2 hours early to make sure you get through everything. 2 hours.
Flying. 2 hours 56 minutes Average.
Waiting for luggage. 30 minutes. It was so short because they notified you yours didn't arrive.
Getting to WDW from airport 15 minutes.

That's 6 hours 11 minutes.

Yes but I have a flying car. I can take off from Times Square and land in the Magic Kingdom parking lot. Should save some time....

1709604494757.png

I think they are both at the top of the list for worst places to live. I'd give LA the nod due to weather, but that's it. They both suck.
Everyone is answering in terms of transportation, but I don't even think that was part of OP's question. I'll take perfect weather and owning a car everyday ending in y. I still hate LA though. Give me the OC or San Diego.

I don't know how it is now, but prepandemic nyc was awesome. I parked my car in Connecticut to save money. Public transportation was really easy to use and much faster than taking surface streets. I've never lived in LA, but I've been many times and lived in Orange County. Of the two, both are worth visiting, but I'd pick nyc over la to live in. I hate driving in Southern California.

Depends on what your priorities are. :smickey:

LA -> DL = 26 miles
NYC -> WDW = 1091 miles
I think this answer wins the debate on an a Disney board!

Seriously, though, I've never been to LA, and have only been to NYC once for work*, so pretty much all my impressions are from TV. - I think I would prefer LA for vacation (prime criteria - weather and amusement parks) and NYC if I was living there (prime criteria - museums and public transit).

* I did live in NY state as a kid, but I was way over/up in the Finger Lakes, so farther from NYC than I am now in MA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter