NYC getting looted live on a youtube feed Monday 9 pm sad

True, and there are a lot of white people who remember back WAY beyond Rodney King. Not as far back as people descended from slaves, but there were a LOT of white people involved at many levels in the Civil Rights movement in the 1960's and following years.

Unfortunately, in many cities the memory here is going to be "The George Floyd Riots"...like HE did something wrong.

The violence has already blown away most of the positive intent of the good people of all races. There is not going to be any good come from this -- just polarization.
I think there is going to be good come from this.

So I don't think it's productive to try to "punish" whole communities because of the actions of a few (some of whom are not even members of those communities).

I agree. Which is why seeing violent police response at peaceful protests when those protestors are not instigating is an issue as well. It's prolonging the situation, and giving protestors more evidence of the problem that they are trying to illustrate that is being ignored.

I agree. Which is why seeing violent police response at peaceful protests when those protestors are not instigating is an issue as well. It's prolonging the situation, and giving protestors more evidence of the problem that they are trying to illustrate that is being ignored.

I watched it live for LA. The police were more interested in the looters than the protesters breaking curfew.

I think there is going to be good come from this.
There may be some in Minneapolis. The state AG announced today that they were doing a Civil Rights investigation of the Minneapolis Police Department. Assuming the investigation is not a political ploy of some kind, that may turn out to be a good thing.

I watched it live for LA. The police were more interested in the looters than the protesters breaking curfew.
That's almost always the case.

Also, there are situations where even peaceful demonstrators get told things they don't want to hear -- like "No" or "This has been declared an unlawful assembly, and you must leave the area." The fact that people are not throwing rocks and bottles, or causing other problems doesn't mean they are obeying the law. There is a difference between "peaceful" and "lawful."

There may be some in Minneapolis. The state AG announced today that they were doing a Civil Rights investigation of the Minneapolis Police Department. Assuming the investigation is not a political ploy of some kind, that may turn out to be a good thing.

Now imagine if they had announced this five days ago.

Now imagine if they had announced this five days ago.
I'm not sure that would have made much difference, but it's a darn good thing they didn't wait another day or two. Public opinion might have swung so much they couldn't make the announcement.

The key to this action, however, is not the optics of it. It's one of those concrete, substantive actions that may lead to real change.

"Standing up" and "calling out" actually don't usually yield much in the way of results. But a thorough investigation like this might lead to real changes internally in that department which will be good for both the community and the officers who serve there.

It’s all over the country. It doesn’t help that unemployment is likely close to 20%
If you're referring to looting specifically, people don't start looting when the unemployment rate goes up. It's been at historic lows until covid-19.

People loot to steal stuff, and because they think they can get away with it. If you start to see large numbers of looters being arrested, looting will decline quickly. Unfortunately, those bent on violent crime are not so easily dissuaded.

I am going to disagree with you again :)

I've seen more corporate response to this than I have before. The statements about, rebuilding, and black lives being more important than their storefronts. That's different than previous times. One of the ways, I knew perspectives on gay marriage, and minorities was starting to change, regardless of rhetoric, was by watching the Superbowl commercials. When even Walmart and Budweiser are posting commercials that are more representative of a diverse America, something is slowly happening. I have a lot of family from rural, red areas. During the last couple months during the pandemic they have been posting thank yous and positive comments toward the administration. For this, it's videos not of the President, but of people peacefully protesting, and calls to listen to the words of Jesus.

I have no idea how long this might last. If corporations will put their money where their mouth is, beyond posting on FB and Twitter, and one-time donations, and if they will re-evaluate how their own policies are reflective of a broken system. But it's the first steps, that in the past have not been taken.

It has not blown away anything yet. It's been a week. But some people, in positions of power and authority, and their advocates would, really, really like us to think it has. Don't let them.

It's naive to assume that these corporations (even Disney) are serious about what they are doing. They virtue signal because 1. They think that lending their voice to the crisis of the day will increase attention or sales to their brand or 2. They're afraid of backlash campaigns/boycotts that could occur if they don't speak up about it. This is more about following current trends for them than anything else.

You can repeat that as often as you like, and I wish that were true. But the reality is that the riots of 1967 did lead to the passage of the Fair Housing Act of 1968. I realize that not everyone is up on their American history.
Snide comments also accomplish nothing imo. I was speaking of now not then because people change and so does the narrative.

It's naive to assume that these corporations (even Disney) are serious about what they are doing. They virtue signal because 1. They think that lending their voice to the crisis of the day will increase attention or sales to their brand or 2. They're afraid of backlash campaigns/boycotts that could occur if they don't speak up about it. This is more about following current trends for them than anything else.
That's kind of the whole point of how laissez faire capitalism is supposed to work. Pressure from individuals can shape how business functions, therefore removing the need for government solutions. We don't need corporations to change their policies out of some enlightened and noble purpose (although that would be better if they believed in what they were doing). We just need them to change their policies. If they think they will lose customers and brand attention if they don't, that's enough.

That's kind of the whole point of how laissez faire capitalism is supposed to work. Pressure from individuals can shape how business functions, therefore removing the need for government solutions. We don't need corporations to change their policies out of some enlightened and noble purpose (although that would be better if they believed in what they were doing). We just need them to change their policies. If they think they will lose customers and brand attention if they don't, that's enough.
But do they think that or is it all just window dressing? We are hearing about those who are making the most noise right now. It'll be interesting to see what people in general think once everything settles down. Hopefully everything won't just go back to the status quo.

There is an image floating around that whenever a brand tweets or sends out a message of solidarity on some form of social media, it perfectly reflects people's feelings on it. People aren't buying into a brand's message anymore. Even if it is sincere. We've become jaded to the fact that there are businesses more concerned with bad PR than anything. So they are out to make themselves look good. I don't think that of every single one out there. But it can be hard to believe they do care.

But do they think that or is it all just window dressing? We are hearing about those who are making the most noise right now. It'll be interesting to see what people in general think once everything settles down. Hopefully everything won't just go back to the status quo.
That's why the onus is on all of us to keep pushing. Social media, traditional letter writing, and ultimately where we spend our dollars. Even if their is no good option, we can choose the least bad. Right now corporations are in a tricky spot. We've all had 2+ months to figure out if we REALLY need their services, we've already gone through a sort of withdrawal phase. It's an opportunity, that might not be there if everything else was "business as usual."

But once the hashtags stop trending, yeah, we'll see if people are really waking up to systemic social injustices or not.

When members of clergy are tear-gassed and forcibly removed from the the patio of their church for a photo op, you know we have lost our way.

Yes, or when Mennonites come out of their usual self-isolation to stand in protest with fellow Minneapolitans, holding signs saying, "Justice for George Floyd," and "I can't breathe." Google: Amish Mennonites George Floyd.

I am truly heartened to see how many cities/countries around the world have also come out to stand in protest for George Floyd and against their own similar racial injustices. The pandemic joined us all in a horribly world-wide way and made us realize just how small this blue marble is that we are on. Many countries are still in their own versions of lockdown, yet, many of them, too, cannot just sit silently at home after seeing the George Floyd video, and braving COVID-19 have joined the U.S. in solidarity. Some of the cities/countries are: London, Paris, Berlin, Vancouver, Toronto, Tel Aviv, The Hague, Australia, China, Iran, capitals in Africa, Latin America and the Middle East. :grouphug:

Last edited:

I can’t take any “influencers” or companies seriously. I, actually, unfollowed a fitness influencer who posts workouts I like from time to time because I couldn’t take the incessant posting about it anymore, it didn’t seem genuine and if it was genuine she is a really naive individual who has lived under a rock her whole life.

I think a lot of people are just following what everyone else around them is doing. It makes them feel nice now and they’ll see something shiny in a week and forget about it, if they ever even truly meant it to begin with.

Most of the people I know that do the most to strive towards reconciliation have actually been very quiet on social media. I’ve seen a couple things, but they’re probably too busy living it out as opposed to looking for attention. I’ll, personally, be talking to my real life friends. It of course comes up in our conversations already, but sometimes I think of my best friend and wonder, “what doesn’t she tell me because I’m white and she thinks I won’t understand?”

Edited to add: And “reconciliation” doesn’t feel like the right word because how can you reconcile with someone you’ve never had a cordial relationship with? A relationship that started in a terrible way, one you don’t even want to think about because it’s too horrific.

Please excuse the ramblings of a tired mom of two small kids in quarantine.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter