• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYC Port to LaGuardia

wisblue

DIS Veteran
We are going to be on the Magic cruise to Bar Harbor and Canada leaving October 10 with 4 adults. On return on Sunday the 16th we will be going to LGA right from the port for flights leaving early in the afternoon so we should have plenty of time.

What experiences have people had getting transportation from the port to LGA? Are there enough cabs with capacity for 4 adults and luggage waiting at the port, or would we better off arranging a private service? If we do the latter, what is a good time to schedule a pickup? We don't intend to rush to be among the first off the ship, but we don't want to wait until they kick us off either. Would 8:30 AM be about right?

I would rather do a cab or private car than something like Uber or Lyft.

Thanks for any suggestions.

We are going to be on the Magic cruise to Bar Harbor and Canada leaving October 10 with 4 adults. On return on Sunday the 16th we will be going to LGA right from the port for flights leaving early in the afternoon so we should have plenty of time.

What experiences have people had getting transportation from the port to LGA? Are there enough cabs with capacity for 4 adults and luggage waiting at the port, or would we better off arranging a private service? If we do the latter, what is a good time to schedule a pickup? We don't intend to rush to be among the first off the ship, but we don't want to wait until they kick us off either. Would 8:30 AM be about right?

I would rather do a cab or private car than something like Uber or Lyft.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Native NYer here and we have cabbed to/from the port several times.

There should be plenty of cabs - often better to cross the street to the Northbound side. Four passengers with luggage is fine (will require one to sit in front seat).

Please only take the real Yellow cabs. Plenty of car service guys trying to solicit you and they always try to rip people off. If you can't get yellow cab, much better off calling Uber. But we have never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a yellow cab.

I strongly suggest that you explicitly ask the driver to take the 59th street Bridge (also called the Queensboro or Ed Koch), especially on a Saturday which should have light traffic. That is about 10 miles. He may suggest the Midtown Tunnel (11 miles) or the Triboro Bridge (17 miles, also called Robert Kennedy). Aside from longer (more expensive) rides, both of those have $8 tolls and due to a vague NYC rule about paying roundtrip tolls, the driver may try to collect an extra $16. The Midtown Tunnel may be justified based on traffic and your hurry. The Triboro is almost always a ripoff unless there is some huge parade in midtown. I suggest confirming his suggestion with Google Maps if he pushes to not use the 59th street Bridge.

OP you just got some excellent info. We are on that cruise too (luckily live about 30 minutes away) and I was just going to say sometimes the cabs are lined up outside on the mid-level of the terminal and sometimes they ask you to cross the street to get a cab. I do not know the rhyme or reason for it.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter