• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYC this coming June?

Soupermom

DIS Veteran
I do not want to be insensitive so I hope this is taken the the context I intend. My family and I were planning on going to NYC for our vacation in June. I was just finalizing our activities, had found a hotel for the 5 of us and was getting ready to make reservations when Sandy struck. I am wondering now if I should save this trip for another time once everyone has recovered. I'm happy to help by giving them my business, but since I don't know the city or the true devastation, and this will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip so we want to do it all, I just don't know what to do. Any helpful comments?

It's November.....your trip is in June! No worries and book away----NY'er bounce back---and the touristy areas will be up and running within days/weeks.

It'll take a lot more to get neighborhoods like Far Rockaway up and going---but that's not really a touristy area.

Go! Take your $$ and feed the New York economy---and appreciate what an awesome city it is!

for the city - power will be on w/in the next week or so (most will be available in the city by the weekend) - other areas may need to rebuild - but rebuild they will - and by the time june comes the region will be just as strong as they can be -

don't change your plans -

I do not want to be insensitive so I hope this is taken the the context I intend. My family and I were planning on going to NYC for our vacation in June. I was just finalizing our activities, had found a hotel for the 5 of us and was getting ready to make reservations when Sandy struck. I am wondering now if I should save this trip for another time once everyone has recovered. I'm happy to help by giving them my business, but since I don't know the city or the true devastation, and this will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip so we want to do it all, I just don't know what to do. Any helpful comments?

C'mon over! :) If you'd like to share some of what you were planning and the area you're planning on staying, we can give even more info, but in general...

The areas that were truly devastated are not those that would normally get much outside tourist flow. I'm presuming your trip centers around activities in Manhattan and perhaps Brooklyn or Queens.

The areas of Manhattan that were flooded are in the lower end of the island and mostly affect the trains there and office and residential buildings - and a few tourist things - and will almost certainly be fixed by June.

Most of the big tourist stuff - Broadway shows, Rock Center, Times Square, Central Park, Fifth Avenue shopping, Empire State Bldg, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, etc. were pretty much untouched by the storm. For most of those, the power never even went out.

We had similar flooding last July, and everything was pretty well fixed within a few months.
Same thing with the tsunami in Japan a few months before that. I think Tokyo Disney was closed for maybe a month before they opened it back up.
A few years ago I was in Manhattan, KS during a massive tornado, and most of the major businesses had new temporary storefronts very quickly.

My Dad is an engineer with a large project right now out of Newark. They told him not to come down there this week, but they're expecting him next week.

In my experience, most of the damage is usually sustained by individual homeowners.

I'm scheduled to fly to New York on Friday. My traveling partner thinks we shouldn't go. Work says that it is fine to go.

Is it really that bad there? Are the taxi's running from the airports? Generally they taxi us everywhere. She's wondering how the gas shortage is affecting the taxis and if we would be taxing the system by coming now.

We don't ride the subway. We stick to times square/central park/museums and such if we do touristy stuff. (and shopping)

NYC will be good to go by Friday. Gas is being delivered and all main roads have been taken care. We bounce back quick especially once public transportation gets up and running. It's not a good time to visit the Rockaways or Coney Island though and I am sad about that. :(

NYC will be good to go by Friday. Gas is being delivered and all main roads have been taken care. We bounce back quick especially once public transportation gets up and running. It's not a good time to visit the Rockaways or Coney Island though and I am sad about that. :(

Thanks.

I posted to another site and got mass hysteria, but that person was out in CA. Not useful info from there.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Planning on booking tickets for May to NYC with frequent flyer points. Have to book early or I can't use them.

Coney Island was on our list of things to see. :sad: Guess that won't be happening. Looks like way too much damage to be up and running by next spring.

ny will be back and up and fabulous way way before june. go and have fun it is not like Louisiana at all it will not take years to get back to normalcy

We have plans to visit NYC for a few days, starting 12/16. Our airfair is not-refundable, nor are the tickets we purchased for Newsies. So - we are coming! And - we can't wait:thumbsup2

To the OP - and I realize that this is a totally different vacation - my DH and I had decided about 1-day before the SanFrancisco earthquake that happened during the world series (probably October of 1989) to go there for our honeymoon - in March of 1990. While yes, there were still some lasting effects from the earthquake, i.e. some things where still closed, or not renovated yet, there were still many things we were able to do. And - we had a great time - it wasn't crowded at all!

To the OP - and I realize that this is a totally different vacation - my DH and I had decided about 1-day before the SanFrancisco earthquake that happened during the world series (probably October of 1989) to go there for our honeymoon - in March of 1990. QUOTE]

October 17, 1989. I was there and will never forget it!

Sorry for the OT comment.

I'm thinking (and hoping) we will have the gas situation all settled by the time the weekend is over. At least by early next week.

NY will have the city and tourist area's back in no time. You wouldn't even realize what happened. The area's that are going to need some extra time are probably not area's that you'd be visiting with the exception of Coney Island.

Come on up and enjoy our city, there is so much to see and do.

And a special thanks to NYPD, NYFD, and DSNY.

OP here. :) Thanks everyone for your insight and helpful comments. I do wish all of you in the NYC area a quick recovery! Looks like the plans for our trip will continue. :thumbsup2

I do have a bit of an OT question. Since I am planning so far ahead, I am wondering...if I were to get tickets for Broadway (The Lion King), can these ever be returned? I'm not really planning on cancelling, but I know my hotel can be cancelled xx days ahead of time. What is the policy with theater tickets should something happen?

Thanks again!

OP here. :) Thanks everyone for your insight and helpful comments. I do wish all of you in the NYC area a quick recovery! Looks like the plans for our trip will continue. :thumbsup2

I do have a bit of an OT question. Since I am planning so far ahead, I am wondering...if I were to get tickets for Broadway (The Lion King), can these ever be returned? I'm not really planning on cancelling, but I know my hotel can be cancelled xx days ahead of time. What is the policy with theater tickets should something happen?

Thanks again!

Generally, no, theatres don't take ticket returns.

That said, check the theatre or site you're buying from - depending on how popular the show and what you're paying (I mean like if you buy full-price seats from a first-line seller for a very in-demand show, sometimes a rep will be nice), occasionally there may be bending on rules, though don't count on it. Also any particular show/theatre/site may have a particular policy, so check specifically.

If it's a very popular show (as LK is), during a popular time, you can also usually get some $$ back on a reseller site like StubHub or something if you couldn't be here.

Some you can also donate tickets you can't use and get the $$ back as a tax deduction, though you lose the $$ at the time. Depends - but in general, a straight cancellation and refund is unlikely.

I agree with this-80 percent of subway service has been restored already. By Friday, most of The NYC that tourists or business people see will be back to Normal. We could sure use the revenue!!

Areas like my town - it's going to be a long haul. We may not have power for a month!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter