NYE in times square ...top tips please!

natalielongstaff

<font color=deeppink>I need a cup of tea and a big
we are planning to be in New york for NYE in 2014, I would love to hear from people who have been. did you go to an organised event or braved the lack of toilets and the crowds :)

Hello stranger, I can ask the SIL if you like. She and her DH were in NY for NYE a couple of years back. I have a feeling they went to Times Square.

Went once, LOVED it. I grew up there and it was the first time I met people from different parts of the country!! :lmao: Lots of happy, fun people!!! :dance3:

You have to take a place in a pen about 1pm and stay there until 12pm. No toilets or food, wear diapers. Some of the chain restaurants have a special deal for NYE at the cost of $500.00pp. I suggest you go to www.tripadvisor.com and go to the NY forum and search NYE and you will find a lot of first hand info.

You have to take a place in a pen about 1pm and stay there until 12pm. No toilets or food, wear diapers. Some of the chain restaurants have a special deal for NYE at the cost of $500.00pp. I suggest you go to www.tripadvisor.com and go to the NY forum and search NYE and you will find a lot of first hand info.
Sounds like cruelty to me :eek: I can go without food for that long but have to have water and a bathroom.

Read before too that if you leave your spot you cannot come back to it.

The last time I was in NYC on New Years Eve I avoided Times Square. Instead, my husband and I ran a race in the park that started at midnight. It was a blast!!!! Fireworks at midnight, 4 mile run, lots of fun people, music..... It was a very international crowd, serious runners mixed in with rec runners. We went out to breakfast after and got back to our hotel at 3 a.m. I would LOVE to do it again.....

That a long time to stand around and do nothing.

My tip? Prepare to get peed on.

I live very close to the city, and never will go to NYE in times square. There are lots of people who want to try it 'just once' as like a bucket list type thing, but it is NOT for me. More power to ya, it's gonna be cold!

Its COLD! Wear long underwear. :thumbsup2

I live very close to the city, and never will go to NYE in times square. There are lots of people who want to try it 'just once' as like a bucket list type thing, but it is NOT for me. More power to ya, it's gonna be cold!

Add that to a depends or two under the long underwear!

My friend went a few years ago and told me the just peed right there, gross. Right thru her leggings. Luckily it was warm NYE so her pee didn't freeze to her legs.

umm, yeah, totally agree -- i was born and raised in the city, and Times Square on NYE is a place to avoid!! Personally I'm not really a fan of the dirty crowded city (which is partially why we moved to FL) but on NYE it is insaaaane! Most of the people are happy to be there celebrating, so it can be fun. Just avoid the belligerent drunks and be sure to dress warm!!

If you can, you should definitely pay for a reputable package deal -- just don't get scammed!

It depends on what you want to do -- is your only goal to see the ball drop, or do you want to experience a vibrant evening enjoying the many faceted offerings of the City?

For a prime spot for the ball drop, yes, it's either stand & suffer or buy a package. If you don't mind being several blocks away, you can wait until around 10 p.m. but actually you get a better view watching it on tv. (I live in NJ, right outside NYC, and I've done the last minute dash to Times Square).

If the ball drop is not a must do, there's lots going on in NYC on New Year's Eve. There are usually lots of First Night events (alcohol-free) that offer a variety of programs for an inexpensive fee -- I went once and listened to a live music performance, then a dance party, then up to the top of the Empire State Building until right before midnight. It was magical! And there's always lots of bars/restaurants/clubs open that night.

But it will be COLD. Very cold, usually.

If you are ANYWHERE near the ball or the stage area in general, you are not allowed to use the restroom for the entire evening. You will feel boxed in and not be able to leave until the crowd disperses. It will be FREEZING. The music will be terrible. And you will think to yourself, "I could've watched this from home." As a New Yorker, trust me. Don't put yourself through it.

Don't carry a wallet in your back pocket - pickpockets are out. I've seen them in action, going from person to person, hand in and out of pockets in a flash and nobody looked like they felt a thing.

we are planning to be in New york for NYE in 2014, I would love to hear from people who have been. did you go to an organised event or braved the lack of toilets and the crowds :)

To be honest, my advice would be to avoid at all costs or book a hotel room overlooking Times Square right now, assuming they aren’t already sold out. Waiting around for up to 10 hours without bathroom access or the ability to sit down and eat somewhere, regardless of the weather sounds like the worst thing on earth to me. And then moments after midnight the entire area becomes mass chaos of people trying to catch the last train home.

We usually go to the Central Park fireworks, which is much more fun.

Hi Natalie,

I've been. I just ADORE NYC.

So my NYE part of one stay is at the end of this TR. Enjoy. It shows you that the best of NYC is often the wonder of not following plans. NYE, how I had my eyes on Times Square and how I ended up in Central Park instead.

I can even tell you how many magical days I've had there. :love:

(Oh and I've been in the bitter cold; however, this NYE was downright balmy! Not usual but lucked out.)

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2626545&page=16 NYC starts at #234 but the explanation of the day is further down at #238. I have no clue why I'm putting the post numbers. Like you can't scroll down!!!:rotfl2:

Anyway, enjoy. Jealous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter