NYE was kinda pathetic IMO

ParkHopper1

DIS Veteran
Not talking about the fact that aerial fireworks was canceled due to high winds in both DCA and DL...but seems like the resort has kinda given up on NYE overall.

We have gone the past few years and typically enjoyed spending the night hopping between all the stages of live bands and evening entrainment prior to the midnight countdown in both parks. This year feels like they just they threw a few DJ's out and called it good with a half hearted effort.

That coupled with the ridiculously long fastness lines made this year a lot less enjoyable. We do not have very high expectations for rides on NYE and expect lines, but the FP lines are kinda out of hand just so the Mouse can make a buck selling Max Pass. Radiator Springs FP return line was down Cars Land and made the turn at Flow's V8 cafe back towards RSR ride! The value is almost nill there in paying for a MaxPass.

Not talking about the fact that aerial fireworks was canceled due to high winds in both DCA and DL...but seems like the resort has kinda given up on NYE overall.

We have gone the past few years and typically enjoyed spending the night hopping between all the stages of live bands and evening entrainment prior to the midnight countdown in both parks. This year feels like they just they threw a few DJ's out and called it good with a half hearted effort.

That coupled with the ridiculously long fastness lines made this year a lot less enjoyable. We do not have very high expectations for rides on NYE and expect lines, but the FP lines are kinda out of hand just so the Mouse can make a buck selling Max Pass. Radiator Springs FP return line was down Cars Land and made the turn at Flow's V8 cafe back towards RSR ride! The value is almost nill there in paying for a MaxPass.

Maybe I'm missing something: How is MaxPass making FP lines worse? There are only a finite number of FPs available due to ride capacity. And FPs and MaxPass pull from the same pool.

Since the introduction of MaxPass there has been an exponential increase in the number of FastPasses issued creating MUCH longer FP lines.
So they have increased the # of passes available? I seem to recall Fastpasses running out back when the paper system was in place, but I'm certainly not an expert!

So they have increased the # of passes available? I seem to recall Fastpasses running out back when the paper system was in place, but I'm certainly not an expert!
It still runs out. There is myth out there’s that the rebalanced the nunber of FPs to standbys guests, but the backup is started by two things. A ride going down and giving out multi experiences and people not being ready for the scanners. I rode space with a fp on NYE. The ride had just come up from being down was running at least a 90+ standby and I only waited about 10/15 minutes all in with an fp.

We noticed it too, have not been in a few years but it was once a pretty fun night, but we did not see hardly any thing special. Ended up at splitzville

Since the introduction of MaxPass there has been an exponential increase in the number of FastPasses issued creating MUCH longer FP lines.
The issue really is, people get to the front of the line at the machine, and aren't ready, or are in the wrong line. We got in the line at RSR by Flo's, it was less than 15 mins, it looks longer because people aren't ready.

Another problem is when the rides go down, then everyone with a FP comes back at the same time once the ride comes back up -- so the FP line looks like it goes on forever! Compound that with the problem mentioned above about guests in the FP line not being ready/not knowing how to scan/blocking the line and all the scanners/etc. -- eeeeek!
As for NYE, we had fun, even without fireworks, but really missed the live bands and the human element vs. all the DJs. The DJ at the castle is the best (and he's our favorite CHOC Walk DJ, too, and has been greatly missed the last two years) and gives it his all, but the bands really add a special warmth, sparkle, and charm to the celebration that is noticeably missing now. Holy Crow Band in DTD was fun, but their last set was before 9 pm!

Last edited:
This was our 3rd NYE at DL over the years and I was underwhelmed as well. And the DJ by Small World was HORRIBLE.

Sounds like it's time to start sending in the comments/reviews of NYE to Disney! Especially for those who are NYE regulars in the parks, let Disney know why you loved NYE celebrations before and why this last one fell short.

The issue really is, people get to the front of the line at the machine, and aren't ready, or are in the wrong line. We got in the line at RSR by Flo's, it was less than 15 mins, it looks longer because people aren't ready.
Yes we saw this too during Christmas eve we were in a shop by RSR and notice the lines for FP where all the way around by the shop but there was no line actually inside the queue it was just big groups holding up the lines as they were scanning.

This happened all through out our time there. People would line up behind one of the scanning machines when there were two or a family would huddle around it and block the entrance. I do think it is much faster for each person to just scan their ticket and go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter