Occasional wheel chair use

monica31671

DIS Veteran
My dad will need a wheel chair SOME of the time we are at WDW. He has cronic back pain. Sometimes he can walk just fine, sometimes he can barley move.
We were thinking of renting a wheel chair at the resort for the length of our stay. Is it hard to put a wheel chair on the bus without a person in it? They fold up like a stroller to some degree, right?
Or would we be better off renting a wheelchair in every park to avoid the hastle? It is a long way from the bus stop to the rental place if my dad is having a bad day.
He's only 60 and in good health otherwise.
Thanks for the help.

If you rent a wheelchair (recommended) you can ride all the time, you can ride a lot and walk a little, you can ride some and walk some, or you can ride a little and walk a lot.

If you don't rent a wheelchair, you have only one choice, walk it all.

WHen you show up at the bus stop with a wheelchair, if you are in it the bus driver will bring out a ramp for you. If you are not in the wheelchair you have to fold it up like a stroller. Actually I think if the bus is one of the RTS models (narrow front door) the driver will let you carry a folded wheelchair up the back door steps while he stands at that door.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

"I can walk, but only as far as first base."

If you haven't already looked at the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you should find some of your answers there.
There is one section on bus transportation.

If your dad has chronic back pain. A scooter is going to be better for him than a regular push wheel chair.

A push wheel chair is going to be more affordable over a scooter. So that may be a consideration.
However, the push chairs provids no back support. Its a sling for the seat and that same sling material for the back. Dpending on your size and the size of your butt. The whole in the back where the back sling part and the bottom sling for the seat meet. For myself is pretty big and causing some back issues, because i can't sit correctly.

How well does he sit in a chair. Does he need any special cushions or anything?

When we go we get the scooter. I have back problems among other thing. I'm verticaly challanged at 5'1". So, i use a cushion for my back, and one of those low back supports to keep me sitting properly. If i didn't i would be leaning forward to squeeze the handle to operate the scooter, and not be touching my feet on the base to rest them properly.
I made a cover, which i fasten to the scooter. This way everything stays dry, and nobody can easily borrow my special cushion for my back.

Does you dad use anything special when he sits to make it more managable?
Good luck,
Connie

My dad does best when he's in something like a kitchen chair. Recliners are the worst!
I would love to rent a scooter, but the price: ooch! :earseek:
His pain managment doctor has him hooked up to something called a "tens". It's some sort of constant mild shock treatment.
He can stand and walk, but not "Disney" style of 8 miles a day. I'm thinking a few blocks and he'll be in serious pain.

You mention 'renting' a wheelchair at the resort - there are complimentary ones at the Disney-owned resorts, but they are first come, first served. I don't think you can rent one at the resorts. I believe you can borrow one from the resort for the length of stay?

Schmeck said:
You mention 'renting' a wheelchair at the resort - there are complimentary ones at the Disney-owned resorts, but they are first come, first served. I don't think you can rent one at the resorts. I believe you can borrow one from the resort for the length of stay?
That's right. They are for loan from the WDW resorts; none for rent at the resorts (just at the parks). There is information on the disABILITIES FAQs thread stuck near the top of this board.

In the past, people were getting wheelchairs for their length of stay. Some people recently have reported having the use limited - either not being allowed to take the wheelchair to the parks or only allowed to use it for a limited number of days.

SueM in MN said:
In the past, people were getting wheelchairs for their length of stay. Some people recently have reported having the use limited - either not being allowed to take the wheelchair to the parks or only allowed to use it for a limited number of days.

Sue - Can you elaborate? I did that last year and it saved us. On a prior trip, Connor was wiped out just getting from the buses or monorail into the parks sometimes. Having the wheelchair from the resort was really helpful. We are going next week!

LisaB

I have almost the same issue. my 55 yr old dad has a bad back and his hip goes out. He's not crazy about riding in a wheelchair and we're not crazy about pushing him either. Where would we rent a scooter from? Is there a website or any info about them?
Lynn

lmnholds said:
I have almost the same issue. my 55 yr old dad has a bad back and his hip goes out. He's not crazy about riding in a wheelchair and we're not crazy about pushing him either. Where would we rent a scooter from? Is there a website or any info about them?
Lynn
I have two suggestions for you. One is to click on "disABILTIES" at the top of this page to get to the index. About the 6th item down is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will answer a lot of your questions and give some suggested rental locations.

The other is to ask him the following questions (and here are the suggested answers):

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

LisaBi said:
Sue - Can you elaborate? I did that last year and it saved us. On a prior trip, Connor was wiped out just getting from the buses or monorail into the parks sometimes. Having the wheelchair from the resort was really helpful. We are going next week!

LisaB
I don't remember exactly when it was posted, but it was a busy time, so that might be why. Several people posted they were told when they got the wheelchair that there was too much demand and they would only be able to have it for a few days.
I think one person posted that they were told the wheelchair was only for use at the resort. I had never seen that before that person posted it.
I don't think you'll have much trouble going next week. You could always bring the phone numbers for the various places that wheelchairs can be rented from (in the disABILITIES FAQs thread).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter