Oct 14-17:A Solo Trip to Disneyland! Day3: Single Rider Shuffle

I have enjoyed your trip report so much. You are a very funny writer with an amazing imagination! Thanks so much for sharing with us. Can't wait to try DL at Halloween time!

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I saw your post and started laughing and my daughter Lauren wondered what was so funny. So, after I explained your "Solo" trip and all, I showed her your post and she about died laughing. Excellent picture!

Thanks! Han got tired of me waking him up on his vacation so he just locked himself up overnight.

Nice update! Have I said before I love the Matterhorn??? :laughing:

Nice that you kept staying ahead of the crowds and got so much done early. :thumbsup2 Too bad about Alice though. :sad2:

I was wondering when I was looking at all the pictures in the update where Han was. Looks like you really wore him out, or he just can't hang any more and run on 5 hours sleep! Man, he is sleeping like a........uh......block??? :rotfl2:

He is such a lightweight when commando touring. My adventures with Alice will continue this morning.

What a successful morning! :thumbsup2 I agree with you totally on the Tea Cups! Those lanterns are very cool! Your trip almost has me ready to book a flight to Cali!!:goodvibes

Disneyland is definantly worth the trip. There is enough of a difference that a WDW vet can feel like it's a whole new experience. The differences really jump out at you and can be pleasantly surprising.

I have enjoyed your trip report so much. You are a very funny writer with an amazing imagination! Thanks so much for sharing with us. Can't wait to try DL at Halloween time!

Thank you! I try to keep things light and not dwell on the negatives. A vacation experience is what you make of it. Short of not being able to get there I believe you can leave your troubles behind at the parks.

Day 3: Part 3 - Oh Alice! You Tease.

Now that Magic Morning had finished and the park was now open to everyone it still looked like the crowds were not that bad yet. Walking back towards Alice in Wonderland I see that the ride was open again! Quickly getting in line I make the slow winding way towards the loading area.

Then after ten minutes or so, just as I made the last turn towards the end of the wait...they announce that the ride had to be closed again. Turned away again I walk back to the formerly closed off area around It's a Small World.

IMG_2951.jpg

With the tag line of The Happiest Cruise that ever Sailed I thought it had set the bar pretty high considering that the Disney Dream was about to set sail. Still, having never experienced this in my adult life I figured for completeness sake I should go ahead and do this. After less than five minutes I stepped aboard my boat and began my journey down repetitive lyrics lane.

You start outside and cruise through a well landscaped entry area surrounded by topiaries.

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

I have a lot of pictures I took from inside but I found few that I really liked afterwards. You travel through many themes representing both real cultures as well as a few fantasy representations found in Disney movies.

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

Not too many turned out due to the people nearby this time. This is one of the few rides I have been on that I wished was a bit shorter than five minutes long. Eventually we make the final turn and go back outside into the lovely garden.

IMG_2973.jpg

Unloading and walking over a bridge with a strategic gift shop at the end I walk back into Fantasyland once again. Looking across the way there seems to be activity at Alice. Getting my hopes up I close in and confirm that the line was open and cars were rolling by. Congratulating myself for my persistence I happily step back in line and start making my way to the front. An elderly man behind me was mentioning to someone behind them that they hoped that this time they would get on. I turned to them and mentioned this was my third attempt. All I got from them were raised eyebrows. Wondering if what I said shocked them into silence I turned and noticed a CM walking back through the line announcing that yet again the ride was shutting down.

tumblr_le7e96dwMx1qfcj8to1_500.jpg

Having been turned away by the fickle young lady named Alice I finally throw in my cards. Having rode everything else that I had wanted to this morning it was time to check out a few locations I haven't been to yet.

IMG_2975.jpg

Big Thunder Ranch, settled between BTMRR and Fantasyland is a mixture of buffet food service, character greeting spot and activity center. At this time it was all decked out in fall colors. There are opportunities here to watch pumpkin carvers but since it was not quite lunch yet the place was deserted when I walked by.

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

Circling around to the front of BTMRR I see that since Frontierland had only opened up a short while ago that the wait was only around 15 minutes. Grabbing a fastpass I then head into standby to wait for another thrilling ride through the old west.

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

Invigorated by the misty and cool rollercoaster ride I check my watch. 8:40 a.m. My tummy is really starting to remind me that I have been neglecting it all morning and that I must do something about it soon.

Up Next: My (Magic) Kingdom for a Cup of Coffee!

This is one of the few rides I have been on that I wished was a bit shorter than five minutes long.

That doesn't sound like high praise.

I turned to them and mentioned this was my third attempt. All I got from them were raised eyebrows. Wondering if what I said shocked them into silence I turned and noticed a CM walking back through the line announcing that yet again the ride was shutting down.

Maybe their shocked silence was from the fact that they realized they had come face-to-face with "the jinx"!

Love it!

Invigorated by the misty and cool rollercoaster ride I check my watch. 8:40 a.m.

Wow, I'm not sure where you're going, but you're making great time.

Dumbo has water under it? Very cool!

I love the Matterhorn shot, I look forward to riding that someday--I had no idea it was a "race" type ride, which just makes me want to ride it even more!

The pic of Han made me laugh out loud!!!! :lmao: Poor dude. Maybe he can join ya later in the day after he gets his rest...:laughing:

You are making fantastic time, wow! I sure hope you are able to visit Alice at some point this day though...but, with all that work, will the ride even be worth it?

Well I finally got back to your report.....last time I read & posted was prior to you going.......lol Glad I found it again!!! L:love:VING your report & you have some awesome pictures!!!! I'm also enjoying the Hans Solo portions.....he's just dreamy & I would love for him to accompany me to the parks.......wonder if he's available next month?! :rotfl2: Can't wait to see more.....thanx for an entertaining trip report!!

Hmm...IASW looks interesting. I do like how they have the boat ride through the outside and the topiaries.

Alice is being a tease! How frustrating to get in line and wait 3 times only to be denied!! :headache:

That doesn't sound like high praise.

I dunno. Since I have no real attachment or good memory of the ride it just isn't very magical to me. If I had been alive and went to the World's Fair or if my grandparents had taken me on it when I was younger then I'm sure my opinion would have been more positive.

Maybe their shocked silence was from the fact that they realized they had come face-to-face with "the jinx"!

:laughing: I probabaly did just ruin it for everone in the line, didn't I?

Amazing time! My plan had me riding only Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Pinnochio and either Alice or Matterhorn at this point. I was really pleased to also pick up Dumbo, IASW and BTMRR as well.

Dumbo has water under it? Very cool!

It sure does. It also has the train stop behind it and other landscaping to the right of it as well. A much prettier spot than at WDW surrounded by pavement and a fence at the moment.

I love the Matterhorn shot, I look forward to riding that someday--I had no idea it was a "race" type ride, which just makes me want to ride it even more!

It really is a unique ride. Not too much speed but the open cars and closeness to the track give an illusion of higher speed. You can also see the abominable snowman on the way unlike some other Disney mountain rollercoaster. :rolleyes1

The pic of Han made me laugh out loud!!!! :lmao: Poor dude. Maybe he can join ya later in the day after he gets his rest...:laughing:

Glad you liked it! Most of my pictures I took this morning didn't really give me a chance to put him in so I figured he was due a long rest.

You are making fantastic time, wow! I sure hope you are able to visit Alice at some point this day though...but, with all that work, will the ride even be worth it?

No. I never did get back to Alice. You will see that my day is packed full and I...well, I don't want to give too much away. You will just have to see.

Well I finally got back to your report.....last time I read & posted was prior to you going.......lol Glad I found it again!!! L:love:VING your report & you have some awesome pictures!!!! I'm also enjoying the Hans Solo portions.....he's just dreamy & I would love for him to accompany me to the parks.......wonder if he's available next month?! :rotfl2: Can't wait to see more.....thanx for an entertaining trip report!!

I'm glad you made it back! Han said that he was going to take a break after this trip. Maybe if you invite Chewie along he'll be convinced? :thumbsup2

Hmm...IASW looks interesting. I do like how they have the boat ride through the outside and the topiaries.

Alice is being a tease! How frustrating to get in line and wait 3 times only to be denied!! :headache:

IASW is really better than the WDW version by far. I just have an aversion to hearing that song a few dozen times in a row is all. :laughing:

Yes, Alice teased me and I fell for it! I really wanted to see this ride since it was another example of one without an equivalent in WDW. Well, maybe next time.

Day 3: Part 4 - My (Magic) Kingdom for a Cup of Coffee!

Last week I left you just I as I had finished my whirlwind tour of Fantasyland and parts of Frontierland. So far everything has gone well and I have accomplished far more than I originally thought I could.

My plan at this point for the rest of the morning was to head over to DCA and enter at 9:30 a.m. Today would be the day I would see World of Color and I needed to do the early show. With the crowds I figure would be over there I needed to get in line over at the DCA entrance as early as possible.

It was approaching 9:00 a.m. and I had to admit to myself that it was high time to satisfy the growing hunger in my tummy. There was a lot left to do today and this was a good point to head back to the front of the park.

On my way back to Main Street I see the Horse Drawn Streetcar.

IMG_2980.jpg

Figuring I'll do better time walking I skip this ride. As you can see in the next photo the crowds are still filtering into the park. Also note all of the pumpkins on the ledges and windows.

IMG_2981.jpg

I read in a Halloween thread that there are over 300 carved pumpkins scattered throughout the park! Halfway down Main Street I arrive at my destination.

IMG_2982.jpg

The Blue Ribbon Bakery! Mmmmm... The smell was wafting right out the open front doors. I look in and find this however.

IMG_2983.jpg

Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The line was quite long and there were only a few servers. Trying to estimate how long it would take I step in line to see if it was moving at all. After a bit I realized I would be sitting here a very long time. Luckily, being a DisBoard reader I had a backup plan.

Continuing down Main Street I head out the front gate passing many poor unfortunate souls who were looking forward to long lines ahead them. Skipping by them (not really) I make a right turn towards the entrance to Downtown Disney.

From there it's a short walk to La Brea Bakery.

IMG_2984.jpg

Uh! Oh! Is that a line I see spilling out the front door? It looks like my cunning plan for a quick bite has been thwarted! Or has it? Looking at the other side of the walkway I notice this little stand.

IMG_2985.jpg

:woohoo: Quickly walking up to it there is hardly any wait. True it doesn't serve hot egg croissants but they do have a variety of yogurts, muffins and pastries as well as juice, coffee and milk...if at a stiff premium. Well it wouldn't be Disney if there wasn't a 200% upcharge you know. I picked up a nice sized rasberry scone and cafe americano.

It's now 9:10 and with my goodies in hand I turn around and head back to bag check. Let's see if my luck holds out as I take on DHS opening again...with much higher stakes this time.

Sorry about the short update but I figure that the next one will be chock full of info and this was a nice stopping point. TTFN!

Up Next: The DCA Marathon.

Just found your trip trport and have been laughing at the antics of your traveling companion.

BTW Disneyland normally does let you in early and do a rope drop at the end of main st so there must have been something unusual going on the day you went.

Just found your trip trport and have been laughing at the antics of your traveling companion.

BTW Disneyland normally does let you in early and do a rope drop at the end of main st so there must have been something unusual going on the day you went.

:welcome:

Well that would explain some things. I just found it very underwhelming compared to how WDW Magic Kingdom does their openings.

Glad to have you aboard!

Wow, it's hard to believe all of the stuff you'd already accomplished on that day and people are just arriving. You've gotta love that!

A raspberry scone sounds delicious right about now! Glad you had a backup plan to your backup plan. I couldn't have lasted as long as you with no breakfast, I would have been a cranky mess. :laughing:

Wow, it's hard to believe all of the stuff you'd already accomplished on that day and people are just arriving. You've gotta love that!

I was feeling pretty good at that moment. Nearly everything had worked out better than planned and I was exactly where I needed to be at this point.

A raspberry scone sounds delicious right about now! Glad you had a backup plan to your backup plan. I couldn't have lasted as long as you with no breakfast, I would have been a cranky mess. :laughing:

The outdoor stand wasn't in the plan. Lol! I didn't see anything like that in the maps and FAQ threads on the boards at all. When I saw the big line at La Brea and then turned to the cart I was like :worship:.

Day 3: Part 5 - The DCA Marathon.

With coffee and pastry in hand I re-enter through bag check and then get in line at the Disney's California Adventure gate. With it approaching 9:15 a good sized crowd had built up so I was looking at a decent sized line in front of me. Sitting down I pull out my Toy Story Mania notes and enjoy my well earned goodies.

While doing this I couldn't help but overhear :listen: a man with his two twentysomething sons in front of me talking about their plans. After a minute or two I could tell they were really confused by how DCA does it's opening and how they were going to see World of Color. Well, you know me. Mr. Know-it-all to the rescue. :laughing: I really did try to restrain myself but after they started talking about showing up right before WOC started I had to say something. This lead to about a ten minute conversation about what WOC is and how you can go see it.

He and his sons did seem really appreciative and it certainly helped pass the time. I could tell that others around me were listening in as well and I'm just sitting there telling all of these people how it's done never actually having done it myself! Thank you DisBoards! Still, I could have made a total **** of myself if anything were to go wrong. It had to be better than what they were planning, anyway.

Well, 9:30 rolls around and it's crunch time. The gates open and there is a fair sized crowd in front of me moving out to get WOC passes. Just like Friday morning I make a right turn in front of Baker's Field Bakery and pass Soarin'. Moving as fast as safely possible I make the trek with the hundreds of powerwalkers all the way around to Grizzly River Rapids' Fastpass machines. A line had formed already and several CMs were there to keep everything organized.

IMG_2987.jpg

The line was long but moved pretty quickly and there is plenty of good scenery to see.

IMG_2986.jpg

When you arrive at the front a CM will tell you which machine to go to and a sign is posted indicating which show and what color is currently being given out. Here is my WOC pass as well as my earlier BTMRR fastpass I snagged.

IMG_2989.jpg

As you can see my pass is for the first showing at 9:00 p.m. in the Yellow Section. The show itself is held out in Paradise Bay and the viewing areas are located inside Paradise Park on the opposite side of where Mickey's Fun Wheel sits. The park is divided into color sections which have a set entry time to keep crowds manageable. Here is a map provided by Disneyland 1951 of the park area and the color coded areas.

WOCJuly2010B.jpg

All of this took about 15 minutes. Just enough time left for me to book on over to the alternate rope drop area before 10:00 a.m. Arriving I see a bit of a crowd but I'm just happy to have made it.

IMG_2988.jpg

Rope drop time arrives and it's time for the second part of the marathon. Cruising over the bridge next to Ariel's Grotto I pass many kids who just can't match my powerwalking prowess. :laughing:

IMG_2990.jpg

If you couldn't guess by that picture I was heading to Toy Story Midway Mania and it looks like it's open this morning! Swinging into line with only a few dozen in front of me I quickly pick up my 3-D glasses and have only a brief wait to get on.

IMG_2991.jpg

Two minutes later this was the line waiting to get in.

IMG_2992.jpg

Just so you know, DCA does not have fastpasses for TSMM here. The lines may look huge but standby loading is about 40-50 minutes if the line is full. Nowhere near as long at DHS where we experienced a 100+ minute wait there.

It looks like I'll be riding with Mr. Potato Head today.

IMG_2993.jpg

Me and my stylish glasses getting ready to go.

IMG_2995.jpg

This was only the second time I had ever rode this and this time would be a solo experience. Trying to remember all of the little tricks I start plunking away at targets. How did I do?

IMG_2996.jpg

Not too shabby for a beginner but I knew others had done much better. Still it was a big improvement from my attempt in Florida and now I had at least recognized what I should have been shooting at. Maybe tomorrow I'll do better.

Next Up: Single Rider Shuffle

:rotfl:
I've been on that road a few times myself...... :rolleyes1
IASW is really better than the WDW version by far. I just have an aversion to hearing that song a few dozen times in a row is all. :laughing:
Repetitive lyrics lane...... :lmao: I like that!!!

The outdoor start to IASW looks really cool, and I love that topiary of the bear!

I'm gonna have to look up this World of Color thing. Haven't heard about it but it looks really interesting! Looks like some great planning had you really making great time and getting so much done!

I can't believe so many people pour into the parks with huge crowds, and their first choice is to stand in a long line at the bakery on Main Street!!! :eek: I really doubt any of them have a chance of doing even half of what you already got done on this day, and I'm sure they will be back home complaining to everyone about long lines and not getting to do anything........ :sad2: They are probably the same ones who look at the FP return times, shake their head and doom themselves by hopping in SB for a 90 minute wait because "5 hours from now" is ridiculous!!! :confused3

So glad the DISboards came through for you so you could sound like an expert in line when you hadn't ever done it yourself. I love those moments! :thumbsup2

The outdoor stand wasn't in the plan. Lol! I didn't see anything like that in the maps and FAQ threads on the boards at all. When I saw the big line at La Brea and then turned to the cart I was like :worship:.

It was Disney magic! ;)

I'm so looking forward to your World of Color update! It sounds like an amazing show.

Why is it the like for TSM stays under an hour there in DCL? Is it just not as popular for some reason?

It was Disney magic! ;)

I'm so looking forward to your World of Color update! It sounds like an amazing show.

Why is it the like for TSM stays under an hour there in DCL? Is it just not as popular for some reason?

It is super popular at DLR but really the only thing that gets over an hour in Stand-by is Space on a visit timed in off season. TSMM is the one ride that people complain about waiting in line the most as far as non FP rides. I have heard of the TSMM being well in excess of an hour during high season but nothing like the 200+ wait times I have heard you guys get at WDW.

Finally got through this whole report after a few days... not bad for a WDW guy ;)

Really enjoying your report, reminding me why I want to go back!

Great costume, good for you dressing up all by yourself.

I knew you were cool when you got my favourite breakfast by default, americano and raspberry scone, yum! But I would never be able to make it on so few hours of sleep.

The outdoor start to IASW looks really cool, and I love that topiary of the bear!

The exterior and all of the landscaping are the highlights. The ride itself is just not my cup of tea.

I'm gonna have to look up this World of Color thing. Haven't heard about it but it looks really interesting! Looks like some great planning had you really making great time and getting so much done!

I can't believe so many people pour into the parks with huge crowds, and their first choice is to stand in a long line at the bakery on Main Street!!! :eek: I really doubt any of them have a chance of doing even half of what you already got done on this day, and I'm sure they will be back home complaining to everyone about long lines and not getting to do anything........ :sad2: They are probably the same ones who look at the FP return times, shake their head and doom themselves by hopping in SB for a 90 minute wait because "5 hours from now" is ridiculous!!! :confused3

You will have to wait for my World of Color portion. I have a big event that you will not want to miss. popcorn::

So glad the DISboards came through for you so you could sound like an expert in line when you hadn't ever done it yourself. I love those moments! :thumbsup2

:disrocks:

It was Disney magic! ;)

Pixie dust to the rescue! WOC just a few more installments away. popcorn::

It is super popular at DLR but really the only thing that gets over an hour in Stand-by is Space on a visit timed in off season. TSMM is the one ride that people complain about waiting in line the most as far as non FP rides. I have heard of the TSMM being well in excess of an hour during high season but nothing like the 200+ wait times I have heard you guys get at WDW.

If you check the ride strategies forum you see this topic brought up a lot. During my June trip I noticed that WDW were letting in the FP line at about a 3 to 1 ratio to standby. That I think is why the WDW standby times can be so rediculous.

Finally got through this whole report after a few days... not bad for a WDW guy ;)

Really enjoying your report, reminding me why I want to go back!

Great costume, good for you dressing up all by yourself.

I knew you were cool when you got my favourite breakfast by default, americano and raspberry scone, yum! But I would never be able to make it on so few hours of sleep.

Hey! :welcome: aboard Blabbermouth! Glad you think I did OK for a first timer. The Disney magic/Force/Karma/Luck was with me so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter