October 1,1971-Were You There?

WEDWDW

DIS Veteran
With the 40th Anniversary of WDW fast approaching I thought it would be interesting to know if any DISers were there for Opening Day or for the "Dedication Weekend" 3 weeks later.

If so,I am VERY jealous of you!:)

I was not there, in fact not born yet! LOL But I would also LOVE to hear any stories!! I'm hoping to go to the 40th Anniversary celebration this year. :)

I was!!!! Mind you I was only 3 going on 4 but I was there! My Mom has all of the pictures from that trip.

I was!!!! Mind you I was only 3 going on 4 but I was there! My Mom has all of the pictures from that trip.
AWESOME!:)

I was hoping we would have a Member who was there!

Now,can you describe,in detail,your experiences that day?LOL;):)

My grandparents were there. I remember my grandmother thinking my grandfather was positively batty for wanting to go to this "thing" in Florida with "of all things, Mickey Mouse." In fact, I think she kept calling it "Mickey World" for a long time.

Somehow I think the free bag that Eastern Airlines gave out swayed her over. (anyone remember those? every time you flew you got a free carry on bag LOL)

I was there for the grand opening weekend! My parents, self and 2 sisters. I was 6 at the time. Helicopters flying around, shows with celebrities, lots going on according to mom and dad. I just saw a few pics a couple weeks ago from the trip, the pics are now in parents moving van on its way to Fla. I keep checking to see if WDW is going to do something special as Iwould like to bring my parents in Oct for it .

Wasn't born yet but my dad did some of the electrical work on WDW and still remembers it. His favorite was of doing work not at MK but working on the ball at Epcot :)

This thread doesn't really fit the category of theme park planning, so I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

I was there for the grand opening weekend! My parents, self and 2 sisters. I was 6 at the time. Helicopters flying around, shows with celebrities, lots going on according to mom and dad. I just saw a few pics a couple weeks ago from the trip, the pics are now in parents moving van on its way to Fla. I keep checking to see if WDW is going to do something special as Iwould like to bring my parents in Oct for it .

That is so cool!

Though nothing has been announced for October 1,I would "think" there would be some kind of ceremony/celebration in Magic Kingdom that day for sure.:)

We weren't there for the opening in 71- we made it down in 1974 when I was 5 :) It will be neat to hear any stories tho' of folks who were there :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter