October 11, 2014 7-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise on Disney Magic (San Juan)

We booked the Sheraton Old San Juan last night - Travelocity has it listed with a 40% off Fall Sale rate - $179 for Friday night 10/10, so I jumped on it. Love the location & proximity to port.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

That's a great price, but unfortunately travelocity bookings don't count for SPG stays/points. With that minimum stay requirement, I am planning on staying at the other Sheraton by the convention center.

Silverfox97 said:
We booked the Sheraton Old San Juan last night - Travelocity has it listed with a 40% off Fall Sale rate - $179 for Friday night 10/10, so I jumped on it. Love the location & proximity to port.

Yay we'll have company. I'll be with the silver haired guy in wranglers and cowboy boots even when it's blazing hot outside. Lol

Hello! My husband and I will also be on this cruise. We booked it awhile ago - we were so excited to finally see a Southern Caribbean itinerary! Counting down the days till we set sail.

Hello all! I know we're late to the party but we are seriously considering this cruise. We're booked for a Fantasy Eastern over Thanksgiving but this itinerary looks so much better. It would be myself, DH and DD11. We'd be giving up a veranda room for an inside (never had inside so might be disappointed).

I have a few questions, when Disney says they'll be picking up from the Marriott, does that mean I should get the ground transportation TO PORT or do I pay for this separate? Also, if we could stay at Sheraton, could we walk to port or would we need a taxi (if so approx how much money)?

Thanks so much!!

Silverfox97 said:

I just booked too, however my price was $199.

I have read a lot of posts here and on facebook and have been on 9 Disney cruises. Thanks, Scott, for taking this on. I know it is a big job. Just want to add that I agree with splitting the group up. When we sailed in June in the Med we had to fly to Barcelona. The person who took over the FE divided us to not have more than 12 or 13 in the group in order for us to travel with all of the gifts. She went as far as to put people from different geographic areas in the groups. That was above and beyond, but it was great as we got items from other countries and other parts of the USA. Then she also said that we could choose to give to all or just our group, but we had to agree to give to our group to make it fair for everyone. I think we had assigned days, but I didn't stick to that. We got married on that cruise and had too many other things to worry about. I like the random days and finding a surprise.
Well, that's my humble opinion.
It looks like this will be a sold out cruise unless people cancel. Category 11 is all that is left.
Looking forward to the ports and to meeting all of you. I have formed friendships on all of our cruises, even our very first that was 5 years ago. On our Mediterranean, I had posted that we were getting married on the ship and one of our fellow cruisers said he would be there, and he was with his wife, and took professional pictures!! And emailed them to me. I was amazed at the kindness of people on the Disney cruises. We all have one thing in common, we love the Mouse!

Speaking of the FE list, now that we are into the new year, I'm starting to thing about my gifts and what I will be doing.

SSanders79, or Silverfox97, any thoughts of taking a poll to see about splitting the list of 42 rooms?

I'm not trying to rock the boat, but that is a lot of rooms. Can we set a cut off of a max then have multiple lists and those that want to be on multiple lists can? My last cruise the people voted on giving to 15 rooms, my next cruise they voted on 12 rooms to give to.

FWIW, my last cruise I participated in 3-15 lists and I used 1 1/2 large suitcases for FE gifts alone! Since we are doing the 3 night repo at the end, I know I won't have that much space, so I'm hoping for a smaller group. Thanks!

Hello all! I know we're late to the party but we are seriously considering this cruise. We're booked for a Fantasy Eastern over Thanksgiving but this itinerary looks so much better. It would be myself, DH and DD11. We'd be giving up a veranda room for an inside (never had inside so might be disappointed).

I have a few questions, when Disney says they'll be picking up from the Marriott, does that mean I should get the ground transportation TO PORT or do I pay for this separate? Also, if we could stay at Sheraton, could we walk to port or would we need a taxi (if so approx how much money)?

Thanks so much!!

I don't know how Disney will do transportation from hotel to ship; however, when we did the Mediterranean from Barcelona, we had difficulty with Disney transports. I booked a room from the Disney sponsored hotel, but they would not allow us on their transport unless we booked the room through Disney. So I ended up giving up my lower priced room for a high priced room at the same hotel through Disney in order to have Disney transport. Not doing that again. I will stay in Old San Juan and take a cab.
I have done the other Carribean cruises, and you can do those any time. This Southern cruise is new and limited (I think they did it years ago) now from those who booked early and filled up the ship. My choice would be this one. We did not have a veranda on our Mediterranean cruise and didn't miss it. In fact I think the only time that we used the veranda on any cruise was when you could smoke, and DH would read and smoke his cigar on the veranda (they aren't the stinky kind, they are small and not too stinky). Just my own opinion. You will be busy at all of the ports.

I don't know how Disney will do transportation from hotel to ship; however, when we did the Mediterranean from Barcelona, we had difficulty with Disney transports. I booked a room from the Disney sponsored hotel, but they would not allow us on their transport unless we booked the room through Disney. So I ended up giving up my lower priced room for a high priced room at the same hotel through Disney in order to have Disney transport. Not doing that again. I will stay in Old San Juan and take a cab.
I have done the other Carribean cruises, and you can do those any time. This Southern cruise is new and limited (I think they did it years ago) now from those who booked early and filled up the ship. My choice would be this one. We did not have a veranda on our Mediterranean cruise and didn't miss it. In fact I think the only time that we used the veranda on any cruise was when you could smoke, and DH would read and smoke his cigar on the veranda (they aren't the stinky kind, they are small and not too stinky). Just my own opinion. You will be busy at all of the ports.

Thanks for they reply. We did end up booking this cruise, don't think we'll miss the veranda that much, it was just the price difference between the two. Plus, we'll book a 2015 Eastern when they come out with the prices in a few weeks and book a veranda if we want. I'm thinking we'll stay at either Best Western or Sheraton Old Juan and get a cab to port. What are your thoughts on getting Disney transportation from port to the airport?

Thanks for they reply. We did end up booking this cruise, don't think we'll miss the veranda that much, it was just the price difference between the two. Plus, we'll book a 2015 Eastern when they come out with the prices in a few weeks and book a veranda if we want. I'm thinking we'll stay at either Best Western or Sheraton Old Juan and get a cab to port. What are your thoughts on getting Disney transportation from port to the airport?

I have always used Disney transport from port to airport. Even for 4 of us. It's relaxing, easy, and I don't have to worry about anything. Depending what airline you are on, DCL will print your boarding passes and take your luggage to the airport the night before. We were on United our last cruise and it was GREAT!!

I just booked with my Bank of America points Villa Herencia in Old San Juan. Can take a cab to port. It's a boutique type B&B, and it has excellent reviews and some not so good reviews. I thought it would be fun to try something different.

I am happy that you made the change. I hope you enjoy it. I loved the Eastern Carribean, but these ports are too good to pass up.

Are you going to do the back to back that leaves from SJ to port Canaveral on the 18th? We are and I am excited about that!

Speaking of the FE list, now that we are into the new year, I'm starting to thing about my gifts and what I will be doing. SSanders79, or Silverfox97, any thoughts of taking a poll to see about splitting the list of 42 rooms? I'm not trying to rock the boat, but that is a lot of rooms. Can we set a cut off of a max then have multiple lists and those that want to be on multiple lists can? My last cruise the people voted on giving to 15 rooms, my next cruise they voted on 12 rooms to give to. FWIW, my last cruise I participated in 3-15 lists and I used 1 1/2 large suitcases for FE gifts alone! Since we are doing the 3 night repo at the end, I know I won't have that much space, so I'm hoping for a smaller group. Thanks!

A smaller group would be a great idea! I'm up for that!

I just read Scott's blog on Carioca's! Oh my, I can't wait to try Suspiro Alimenea. What a great review Scott and Emily!!

I just read Scott's blog on Carioca's! Oh my, I can't wait to try Suspiro Alimenea. What a great review Scott and Emily!!

Thank you ;) I love Carioca's. That seafood skewer on quinoa is my favorite MDR entree. Food is subjective, that's for sure though.

As far as FE, since this set of cruises (southern + repo) marks the last DIS meet thread & FE exchange we (the Sanders family) are participating in, we are going to give to all rooms. It's a pretty great FE gift too ;) I imagine the majority will want to split, which certainly makes sense. Our gifts will be handmade, but aren't that big. Plus, we should be flying to San Juan on Southwest, which allows 2 checked bags for free per passenger, so I'm not worried about space (although I did consider sending them ahead to our friends' home in San Juan or the hotel). Plus, since we don't have to fly home, we aren't restricted on the way back, either. Win-win :)

Happy planning, everyone!

Hello everyone! I know some of you aren't on facebook so I wanted to give you an update on some of the excursions people have been talking about.

Barbados (5% discount for group over 16)
http://www.resortforaday.com/product-p/bbbahl.htm

Others are wanting to do the Mt. Grey Tour on Barbados

St. Lucia ($75 adult $65 11 year old and younger due to May price increase)
http://www.cosol-tours.com/tours.html
(one of our cruise mates took this tour, said it was great. She did warn about steep and winding roads though).

Someone else is organizing a Halloween t-shirt sale. I can post info if anyone is interested.

We are going to have to back out of this cruise and the FE. We are changing to the Wonder bc this cruise is sold out and we couldn't add on a room for a friend who wants to come. She just lost her husband less than two weeks ago and wants to have something to look forward to with her two little girls. So, of course it is sooooo worth it for us to change our cruise to so this with them! Definitely sad to miss out on these cool ports, but I'm sure there will be another opportunity.

Hi Everybody! My name is Robyn and DH is Jayson. This will be our first time participating in an organized group. We are excited, obviously! We know three other couples (personally) that will be on this cruise as well. We just wanted to check in and say "Hi!"

HEY THERE havent followed this list closely :sad2:(sorry) I'm on the Facebook one all the time i was told though that the FE management :thumbsup2 was here- sooo
since we now have 43 rooms any chance we can split it?:goodvibes i know some people are fine with that many so if they still want to do all rooms they can :confused3, some of us just cant do that many sorry but still would want to participate... please consider i would hate to have to drop out of this but i just cant

thanks!!!

Hi, everybody. We're booked on this cruise along with the repo to Port Canaveral.

We'd be interested in joining the fish extender if we can divide them up and keep it to 20 cabins or less. I thought there was some discussion about that at one point.

I'm curious if there will be lots of cancellations on this cruise if they offer southern Caribbean for 2015, since these dates aren't really the best for families.

264 more days till our cruise. Since it is 7 degrees and -3 wind chill today I am ready to sail away!:cool1::)pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter