• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

October 2020 WISH Challenge - A Bunch of Hocus Pocus

That's amazing well done :)

Hope the surgery isn't too serious and that all goes well.

Wow that sounds full on. Hope you make it through and get the results you are looking for.

Hello all,

I am Sam from the Sunshine Coast, in Queensland, Australia. Single mum to 3 kids. The twins are technically in year 11 but this term actually commence their year 12 units of work - so there will be full on stress in this household for pretty much the next year! I work full time. Have had a very tricky year and am frankly just waiting for the next 9.5 weeks to slip by so that I will be on 6 weeks summer break. I am just struggling all around and usually put high expectations on myself that I then have trouble meeting and then feel bad about that :( So I need to keep it simple.

My goal for October is to eat low carb/keto for 5 days a week - that will give me some wiggle room without feeling like I have failed all the time. Anything else I get done like walking etc. I will consider a bonus this month.

View attachment 530252

To all of you celebrating birthdays!

Glad you are back with us. As you can see, I'm not here a lot these days, but anything we can do is better than nothing.

~ Topic Tuesday ~

Hocus Pocus was such costume inspo for me! From the mom's Madonna costume to the colonial dresses it was all so cool! What have been some of your favorite costumes that you've worn? Or maybe costumes for your babies (fur or human)?

As a kid I had two costumes that were my favorite. I did Elton John one year and then Frenchie from Grease another (pink wig and everything!). I've done 3 different MNSSHP and went as a pirate, Sulley (with a Mike), and then Mr and Mrs Incredible. I'll have to see if I can find any pics of any of those outfits! I've dressed my cat up as a banana before too. She's a good sport LOL.

Hope the surgery isn't too serious and that all goes well.

It is the same foot surgery that she had a little over a year ago on her other foot. So we know what to expect and nothing serious.

Hocus Pocus was such costume inspo for me! From the mom's Madonna costume to the colonial dresses it was all so cool! What have been some of your favorite costumes that you've worn? Or maybe costumes for your babies (fur or human)?

I love Hocus Pocus. As a kid I was always some type of princess. I was Minnie one year too. I loved my kids costumes. Nick was Charlie Brown for his first Halloween. He had a big, round, bald head that looked like Charlie Brown. He was then a scare crown and Peter pan. After that I started to lose the ability to pick for him. He would decide on super heroes. Elizabeth was a chili pepper for her first. She was only 2 months. She was Tinker Bell one year. I think the year Nick was Peter Pan. She always was some cute costume. Rapunzel, Anna, a Cowgirl (using my Grandfather's, that recently passed away, real cowboy hat). The issue I have with her is we buy a costume and then she changes her mind several times.

As a kid Halloween was painful. At the beginning of the school year I would start dreaming about what I wanted to be and then the day would come and my Mom would say "go out in the garage and see what you can find". So every year we were fishermen and hobos. Woop woop. When my Niece was little I made a costumes for her a couple years- a fly, a gypsy and a princess in a handmade pink taffeta "gown". The princess year we went to a Halloween concert the symphony put on and I had to drag her in to sit down because she was getting so many oohs and aahs in the lobby.

As an adult I've dressed up as Alice in Wonderland... it was my last day of jury duty and I was sure I'd be dismissed and head right back to the office. Nope, got called for a jury and almost passed out in the jury box from overheating because I wouldn't take my coat off. A couple years ago I dressed up as Joan of Arc for the neighborhood harvest festival. When I got there I realized I should have included a couple flames in the costume, but was greeted with "good morning Joan" multiple times, so people got it. The year I went to MNSSHP I wore a tutu and a headband with a grave and some bats on it... riding Big Thunder with the car full of tulle wafting in the breeze was one of the funnest and silliest things I've ever done. The last few years I've just worn my autumn headband, that I really like. This year I might add my Winnie Sanderson face mask, if it comes in time.

Last edited:
We love to dress up for holidays-this is from last year with my crazy sister in laws-I’m in orange on the left. Our rule is you can’t spend more than 5.00 on your costume, so you have to be pretty creative with what you have or go to the Dollar Store.

9EF955F9-5AAC-4278-8327-8532D79425DD.jpeg

I think Cher has a sand bucket on her head under the scarves and Judy is the devil with the blue dress on.

12189895_1680893575488233_1781676165468370915_n.jpg

Last year, I was a witch. I usually dress as a Disney character. As a child, I was Casper the Friendly Ghost, but most of my costumes were thrown together with whatever we had in the house. When DD was a child, she dressed up as almost every Disney princess. Most of her costumes were bought in Magic Kingdom. The rest at the Disney Store.

We love to dress up for holidays-this is from last year with my crazy sister in laws-I’m in orange on the left. Our rule is you can’t spend more than 5.00 on your costume, so you have to be pretty creative with what you have or go to the Dollar Store.

View attachment 530382

I think Cher has a sand bucket on her head under the scarves and Judy is the devil with the blue dress on.
What fun!

12189895_1680893575488233_1781676165468370915_n.jpg

Last year, I was a witch. I usually dress as a Disney character. As a child, I was Casper the Friendly Ghost, but most of my costumes were thrown together with whatever we had in the house. When DD was a child, she dressed up as almost every Disney princess. Most of her costumes were bought in Magic Kingdom. The rest at the Disney Store.
Love it! I've actually never been a witch, or I guess I should say never worn a witch costume... for Halloween...

What have been some of your favorite costumes that you've worn? Or maybe costumes for your babies (fur or human)?

My favorite from my own childhood was when I was about 6. I was a Spring Green Crayon, lovingly made by my Dad out of rolled up posterboard (with a pointy hat an all). I could just walk in it . . . but I couldn't sit down. So they laid me across the back seat of the car to go trick or treating. (We walked in my neighborhood, of course, but we also went to a couple of other friends'/family members' houses farther away.)

I loved dressing DS up when he was little! He was just a couple weeks from turning one for his first Halloween, and I made him a gorgeous wizard costume. Another favorite was an artist when he was turning three, and one year (before superheroes and Star Wars took over) he the little girl across the street went as Cinderella and Price Charming. :love:

Love all the halloween pictures and stories! As a kid, I trick-or-treated with someone with a similar costume as yours @PollyannaMom. She was dressed as a mummy, but her mom wrapped her arms and legs so tightly she couldn't sit either. We had the exact same issue riding in the car from place to place. She just kind of laid on our laps :rotfl2: -it was memorable and fun though!!

I was definitely not a pinterest mom, I always say I'm glad pinterest wasn't around when my kids were little, because I could have never kept up! My kids usually had store bought costumes that we'd pick out a few days before Halloween. We always had fun though!

I was always a gypsy when a little girl. I remember being a hobo a couple times and once a pumpkin (I just remember chicken wire and orange and being uncomfortable). We never had store bought costumes. DS2's favorite was a ninja. I think DS1 and DS2 were Harry Potter a few times and then later used the "cape" to be a vampire. When DS1 was in college he bought a bacon costume (just a slip over the head one that's hilarious). We'd kinda forgotten about it and then last year on Halloween he showed up, put it on and took the twins out trick or treating. It was a hoot!

I slept so good last night. First time in forever! It looks like there was regular yoga class this morning, so I'll get back on the bandwagon tomorrow.

As a kid, my mom always made my costumes. The ones I remember most are when my brother and I were Raggedy Ann & Andy. She sewed the most beautiful outfits and even made yarn wigs. And another year we were clowns including my parents. She sewed full costumes including hats and we used makeup on our faces.

So as a mom, I thought I was supposed to make my kids costumes , but I wasn’t good at seeing. But I felt so accomplished when I made a Pebbles and BamBam costume for my kid as that they wore over sweatpants and sweatshirt. Then I saw that most people just bought costumes. I did make them costumes another year and it’s my favorite because it was funny. Since my husband was a UPS driver, I “made” my son a costume by having him wear all brown and we got him a kids UPS hat. Then my daughter was a package. I cut out the bottom of a box and arm holes in the sides. But I didn’t think about her not being able to put her hands down. Similar to the crayon costume and having to lay down in the car ;)

As an adult, we used to attend a fundraiser event for local youth sports/activities with friends in our neighborhood. So one year we did a group costume and went as The Big Bang characters. I was Amy Farrah Fowler. It was a lot of fun!

He had a big, round, bald head that looked like Charlie Brown
I totally told my BF that we should make our son be Charlie Brown because of his "clear hair" hahahaha
Elizabeth was a chili pepper for her first.
A chili pepper!! That's a different one. I almost got mine a pineapple costume. We went with just a pumpkin sleeper.
The last few years I've just worn my autumn headband
That headband is beautiful!! I love that.
Our rule is you can’t spend more than 5.00 on your costume, so you have to be pretty creative with what you have or go to the Dollar Store
That's a great rule! And IMO makes it even more fun. Like thinking of all things you have around the house that you can turn into a costume. I dressed as a "baby" one year by wearing a onesie that I had, putting hair in pigtails and drawing freckles with eyeliner. Oh and carried around a stuffed animal. Comfy and easy haha.
I was definitely not a pinterest mom, I always say I'm glad pinterest wasn't around when my kids were little, because I could have never kept up!
PREACH!! I don't even try with the pinterest moms. I'm lucky if I get to wash my hair three times a week. No way I'm creating some giant craft out of 2x4s, a hot glue gun, and aluminum foil or any other crazy concoction they make up.
So as a mom, I thought I was supposed to make my kids costumes , but I wasn’t good at seeing
I don't recall hardly ever getting costumes from the store as a kid. For one, I think I often felt like I wasn't the right "size" (which makes me sad to think that even as a kid I was already body aware like that) to wear a store costume. For two, they're expensive! My mom was always willing to "make" the same way you do. I always loved those costumes. They were so much fun.

~ Woohoo Wednesday ~
What's got you feelin' like you found your lucky rat tail today? :dancer:

1) I only have one meeting that requires that I show my face and it's a team meeting so it's casual day for me!
2) My BF grilled a bunch of chicken last night so I am set for the week on lunches
3) Sugar Free Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer :love:

I’ve had two good days, tracking meals and watching portions. If I can get through one week I feel like I’m back on plan.
I found some clothes I bought last year (finally swapping out my summer things) that I forgot about. And it’s always a happy thing that they still fit.
Last minute trip to the beach tomorrow. Might stay by myself if my husband has to go home-this time of year is the best. Nice weather and no people!

Woohoo... we start going-live today for one of the projects I've been working on. I've been stressed out about it as I'm the cross-functional person coordinating across all the groups, so it'll be good to get it done and get that weight off of my shoulders. Also, this means I'm just that much closer to vacation!

Woohoo... the broken faucet situation in the kitchen is resolved and I have hot water again.

Woohoo... the past few days we've had beautiful weather, which is such a gift.

My woohoo for today. After not getting my minutes in on Monday and not really wanting to do them yesterday, I got up off the couch and finished my time and steps. It was at 8:30 and in my PJ's but I got it done.

Monday I couldn't pass up DD wanting to watch a movie and cuddle with me. I don't have many more of these days and they are few and far between so I take them when I can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter