October or December?

samara

Mouseketeer
My college age daughter has been begging for a trip to Disney ever since we went without her last October (her schedule didn't allow her to go). I thought a short mother/daughter trip would be a nice gift for her birthday, but I am really debating about when to go. She is transferring schools and will now have a fall break that would allow us to go October 12 - 15, or we could go the second week of December once she is out for the holiday break. I had originally looked at the first week of January, but after checking the crowd calendars, that definitely doesn't look like a great idea!

I definitely want to consider crowd level, because crowds tend to make my daughter anxious. She has been to Disney many times and knows it's always some degree of crowded, but I'd like to still take varying degrees into account. I'm also thinking about the weather...We went last October 4 - 8, and while we had a great time, it was still crazy hot and definitely less fun than if the weather had been cooler. So while I think she would enjoy the Food & Wine Festival, I'm not sure if the hot weather would offset that. Really, I am just thinking myself in circles and would love some input from anyone willing to offer advice!

We have been the week before Christmas the past two years and it was crazy crowded. It didn't bother us because we go often and aren't really all about the rides but I think it's been the most crowded I've ever seen the parks. One year it was chilly enough, especially at night, that I had to wear a light jacket and a scarf and during the day had to wear long sleeves and a sweater. Last year it was so warn we went to the pool, we are from Georgia so it's not warm unless it's at least 80. I've been in October around Halloween and it was chilly enough I had to wear long sleeves but that was late in the month and again, I'm from Georgia and have to wear a sweater if it's below 70. As a matter of fact, I was there last week when it got up in the 90s in the day and at night I had to wear a sweater after the sun went down.

December. The parks are much more attractive with Christmas-type decorations than they are with Halloween decorations.

We went last December (12/11 to 12/22) and the first week was wonderful, crowd-wise. The second one was a bit more crowded, but with a good plan, some special activities (Candlelight Processional, Caring for Giants, SW dessert partiy) and some FPs, perfectly doable.

Depends on which is more important, if either. October has Food and Wine and the Halloween Party. Both really fun events unless you don't care about them.
December is all decorated for Christmas and has the Christmas party.
Crowd level will be less in December and it will be cooler.
Both times are fun.

We went over Halloween last year and loved it, but I wouldn't go in early October due to heat, so definitely December! The Halloween decorations were cool, but I'm Christmas fan and the decorations are 100% more impressive in my book.

Another vote for December. My guess is that the crowds will be lower the second week of December than October 12-15. Those days in October are the end of the Columbus week which will bump the crowds up a bit.

Given the choice between Halloween/Food and Wine and Christmas at Disney I would chose Christmas. We have made many early December visits and really enjoy it. And we much prefer the cooler December temperatures.
No matter which week you chose I am sure you will have a pixiedust: visit!

December, for weather alone. IMO the crowds are easier to handle when it's not brutally hot and humid.

I also love the holiday offerings and decorations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter