• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Odd Looks?

Tys Nanny

Earning My Ears
In a few threads, one that I remember is the stroller discussion, people mention receiving odd looks or trying to avoid them.

Do adults, after adolescence, really care about this? Or do adults, after childhood, really give them?

Especially at Disney, there is so much to see that I find myself in sensory overload. Besides all the minutiae that Disney builds into its parks, I’ve see every color hair, every clothing type, every body ornamentation. If I stared at all of them, I wouldn’t have time to do any rides or attractions.

And, most importantly, do people really live their lives based on other people’s opinions, or not teach their children to do so?

Everybody is different. So, yes, some adults are self-conscious and are concerned with other people’s opinions. It takes a lot of confidence to not give a lick about what others think. It is human nature to care even just a little bit even if you wouldn’t admit it.

It has taken me 54 years of being a people pleaser to FINALLY not care about what others think of me...most of the time.

On the other hand, as far as odd looks go, just about every thought I have can be clearly read by my facial expressions. I don’t do it to hurt others. I can’t help it. I do love to “people watch,” and all of my reactions to what I observe are evident on my face. I don’t mean to offend anyone.

I could never win at poker.

I REALLY try hard not to judge....either by looks or in my heart. Disney is such an amazing place for families of all types, young, old, friends etc. If someone wants to push their 16 year old around in a stroller, they will not be getting a judgemental look from me! I don't know their circumstances and it's none of my business. As long as it isn't effecting my family, I don't care. I do however care, and possibly give a dirty look when people drop extreme language...as in the f$#@ word in front of MY children. I don't care what they do at home, but in a child centered theme park where little ones are everywhere people should watch their language!

We are always to busy enjoying our trip to waste a single second on something as stupid as a stroller!! Some people will always find something to "talk" about and I've found the best solution is to let them talk. At least if they are picking at something my families doing they are leaving someone else alone.

I'm the type of person who is very aware of my surroundings but I really don't pay attention to what other people do that won't effect me. In everyday life and especially at Disney. While at Disney I'm busy enjoying my time and my time with my family. I don't care who has their 12 year old kid in a stroller or who is "abusing" the scooter situation by using one while "healthy." It's not my business and it does not alter my life in any way so do you if it makes you happy.

And I really don't care what people think of me. When DD was 2-3 I think I still let her drink from a bottle or she had her pacifier before nap time and one day we were in Epcot waiting for the boys to get off of Spaceship Earth. I gave her a bottle of warm milk or the pacifier to try and get her to pass out (I can't remember which). I remember this woman with her husband walked by and looked at my DD 3 times. With a look of "wth" written all over her face. Oh well. Not your kid not your problem.

Disney is absolutely full of strollers so chances are, they are giving you a weird look because of something else. Maybe you're having a bad hair day ;)

In all seriousness, people will consciously or unconsciously compare and judge other people. It's human nature. As far as judging other parents and how they raise their kids - first of all, live and let live. Second, there are so many "invisible" disabilities or conditions that are out there (I'm referring to people using scooters or "older" kids using strollers) that it is really unkind to jump to the worst assessment. Thank your lucky stars your family is healthy and move along. That's my approach, anyway.

People definitely do give looks and make comments everywhere, not just at Disney. But I don’t think most people really care what others are doing, as long as it’s not hurting anyone.

One time when my daughter was younger she had to take some really disgusting medicine for something. And it truly was terrible! I tasted it myself because I thought she was being dramatic, lol. So we were at the store and I told her she could pick any treat she wanted to have after the medicine. Some older guy in the aisle made a comment about “not believing in bribing a three year old and parents today” 🙄 Why would someone eavesdrop and then make a comment about something that’s not their business?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter