• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

odd "Mara" question

heather13

DIS Veteran
Where exactly is the Mara located? And is there a big sign anywhere that says "Mara"? and what kind of food do they have (how is it?)?

I ask b/c DD's nickname is Mara, and I thought if it wouldn't be too much of a hassle maybe we could stop by there on our AK day and get a picture of my Mara under or beside the "Mara" sign - I think she'd get a kick out of it since her name isn't usually seen just anywhere short of a Kenyan map!

Mara is located at the Animal Kingdom Lodge at Jambo House. I am positive it is by the pool.
If I do remember, there is a big sign that says Mara on it.

I did not have the best experience with Mara. The food wasn't the greatest and tasted like cardboard. They have a few different items that have an african theme to them and then they just have reguar old Disney food (pizza, burgers, etc.).

From the lobby of AKL (Jambo House) go downstairs (elevator or stairs) to Jiko and Boma Restaurants. You'll see a set of doors next to Jiko. Go out the doors, turn left and follow the path which curves past the windows of Boma and you'll see Mara ahead of you. The pool will be to your right as you follow the path.

There is signage where you could take your daughter's picture.

Mara is the CS restaurant for AKL. We've picked up yummy zebra domes, but not eaten there.

Thanks! I'm assuming we'd be allowed the go by the pool even if we're not staying there?
Sounds like we won't be staying for long if the food isn't great ;)

No problem with the pool and you won't really be that close to it. There are lots of hedges and rock formations between the path and the pool. We walked around some of those rocks because we were also looking for hidden Mickeys and saw the pool.

Don't worry too much about the quality of the food at Mara. We ate there almost every day for a week (breakfasts and lunch) and had no complaints at all. And they sell zebra domes!

We ate at Mara twice on our last trip and found it good. We had the flatbreads which were nice and fresh.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=27655392&postcount=7

IMG_2550.jpg

there are a number of viewing areas at AKL/AKV to look at the animals. there are a lot of cool details about the AKL resort - definitely worth a look.

you can wander by the pool but see the sticky for rules about using another resort's pool.

my limited experience with mara was kind of boring. nothing all that unique there. i'd recommend making a reservation at boma (buffet breakfast or dinner) or jiko (fancy dinner) and arriving early to take pics with the mara sign...

You won't have any problem getting to "The Mara" at AKL. While its listed as a "poolside" CS, as others have said, there are trees and rock walls separating it from the pool, so you won't feel like you are intruding.

We found the food at Mara to be quite good in early June. We had the African styled- flatbreads (sort of like pizza, but with a twist)- and they were delicious!

AKL itself is a wonderfully themed resort, and the savannah viewing areas are really nice as well. The bus ride to/from AK to the resort is only about 5-7 minutes, so you shouldn't have any problem getting there or back!

Have fun, and great idea- your DD has a beautiful name!

There are also a few signs on posts that might be pretty easy to get a picture with.

DSC_0225.jpg

If you do go to the Mara, try the Zebra Domes! They're a really yummy dessert. You can also get the Zebra Domes at Boma, but AKL is the only place that I know of that has them. They also have paw print brownies (a brownie with a powered sugar paw print dusted on top); it's like the one from Kusafari.

I was going to make a new thread, but I'll try this first. Can someone tell me If the flatbreads at Mara have maraneria sauce on them? I am staying there next month and do not like red sauce on my pizza. I am assuming if there is red sauce on the pizza it would not be possible for them to make me one with out, but I would like to know other pepoles experiences.

Thanks so much!

Zebra dome dessert is a great idea! Perfect once we leave the park, head to AKL for a surprise at the end of the day.

depending on DD's age, be aware that the zebra domes are made with a liqueur (amarula, IIRC).

Can someone tell me If the flatbreads at Mara have maraneria sauce on them?

pretty sure some do and some don't. the chicken flatbread had a pesto sauce like this when i was there last...

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39789355&postcount=1348

01202011067.jpg

depending on DD's age, be aware that the zebra domes are made with a liqueur (amarula, IIRC).

Okay, she's 6. So I guess that's not a dessert option after all. :rotfl:

Thank you for the clarification - can you imagine the looks of the staff if I ordered one for each kid (my other DD will be 4)?

I don't think the food at Mara is too bad - actually I really enjoy a few of the options as you can't find them everywhere. I loved the falafel and the African stew - nice changes for counter service food. I also had a flatbread option there that I am sure didn't have marinara sauce at all - I think it was chicken and artichoke may be but may be getting confused with SSR - anyway - sure there is an option without marinara sauce. It is nothing extraordinary but it is neither terrible IMO.

I did find it hard to locate on first try though - but as others have said if you find the pool you'll find Mara.

Enjoy!

Thank you for the clarification - can you imagine the looks of the staff if I ordered one for each kid (my other DD will be 4)?

There is so little alcohol in the Zebra Domes that the staff would gladly give one to each of your kids. At Boma they are out on the regular buffet for all to enjoy. My kids have been eating them for years with no I'll effects. It's no different than something like rum cake, although the ZDs have far less alcohol than rum cake and you can't taste it at all.

FYI, they are sold in boxes of 5 from the refrigerator case at The Mara. Anyone can go in and help themselves, regardless of age.

it's not a lot of alcohol so one for each probably wouldn't be too crazy, but they might think the chocolate tasted "weird." ;)

Well, my kids both had a bite of rum cake on a cruise a few months ago, so... I guess they're ready for a zebra dome
:lmao:

Our family has always enjoyed Mara and hope you will too. And we also agree that the Zebra Domes can make it worth the trip, YUM!

Make sure you spend some time viewing the lodge and the grounds. It is such a beautiful resort. We have had some great memories there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter