Odds of adding 1 person when checking in to ADR at Space 220?

MeredithM1524

Earning My Ears
Hi all, I know this has been discussed before but was wondering if anyone had specific experience with Space 220. We have a reservation for five people for lunch on 5/11… it’s my daughter’s actual birthday and she is obsessed with all things outer space/astronauts so is thrilled to spend her special day “going into space!” The problem is, we have four kids (ages 3, 5, freshly 7 as of that day, and 8) and both my husband and I would like to attend and enjoy celebrating her birthday together as a family. In case you haven’t done the math, 4 kids + 2 adults = 6 people! 5 was the max I could get when my ADRs opened and I snagged it because I was just happy to see anything open. Any other day, I’d send my husband with the kids and enjoy a quiet adult-friendly lunch on my own! I’ve checked multiple times a day and subscribed to the alert services, but no luck finding a reservation for any number of 1 to 6 people. I know reservations will probably open up as we creep closer, but the planner in me is stressing out! Is there any chance the person at check-in would show some compassion and allow us to up our reservation for 5 to 6 people?

The answer, of course, is maybe, maybe not. What I would say is that going from 5 to 6 will be easier for you than if you were going from, say, 4 to 5 and requiring a completely new table size. All you can do is ask and be prepared to be told no.

Good luck!

The answer, of course, is maybe, maybe not. What I would say is that going from 5 to 6 will be easier for you than if you were going from, say, 4 to 5 and requiring a completely new table size. All you can do is ask and be prepared to be told no.

Good luck!
Thank you! This is what I’m thinking, I was just curious as to the setup inside and if there were more odd-numbered tables due to the viewing area, etc. We’ll cross our fingers!

Thank you! This is what I’m thinking, I was just curious as to the setup inside and if there were more odd-numbered tables due to the viewing area, etc. We’ll cross our fingers!
I can tell you we are a party of five and were seated at a six person round table one row back from the windows. That being said, I’m sure they have an occupancy limit they have to obey and our youngest child is 5, not 3. I’m not sure if that would make a difference.

I know this isn't typical with most ADRs, but I was able to modify a reservation at Space 220 to add a person! This was on NYE, so I don't know if things are different now, but try modifying the reservation and see if it gives you the option to go from 5 to 6.

I don’t think it’s really about compassion. If they can physically accommodate your whole family then I am very sure they will do that. If they can’t, they can’t, and that doesn’t mean the CM is not a compassionate/nice person - but I think this is unlikely. I do think it would be a good idea to have a plan for what you will do if you are told no, but going from 5 to 6 should, theoretically, work out pretty easily.

As difficult as ADRs at Space are to get, its unlikely. Going from and odd number to an even number 3 to 4 or 5 to 6) usually is not too difficult as you aren't using a different table. going from an even number to an odd number is more difficult (as its going from a 2 to 4, or 4 to 6 person table)

Just wanted to say Happy Birthday to your daughter! My birthday is also May 11 -- I'll be celebrating my 50th at Magic Kingdom. Who am I kidding? We'll be there from the 7th to the 14th, and I'm celebrating my birthday every day! :-)

I was at the parks last week. We were only a party of two, so adding another person would have meant going from a 2 top to a 4 top, which is much harder than going from 3 people to 4 people (or 5 to 6 in your case). Our very first reservation was Be Our Guest, and I happened to notice at check in that it said the number of people I could add was 0, so I took note when checking into all our other reservations.
Be Our Guest: 0
Boma: 2
Cape May Cafe dinner: 2
Space 220: 0
Oga’s: 0
Trattoria Al Forno: 0
Beaches & Cream: 0

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s really about compassion. If they can physically accommodate your whole family then I am very sure they will do that. If they can’t, they can’t, and that doesn’t mean the CM is not a compassionate/nice person - but I think this is unlikely. I do think it would be a good idea to have a plan for what you will do if you are told no, but going from 5 to 6 should, theoretically, work out pretty easily.

You’re right, I shouldn’t have phrased it that way and placed the entire responsibility on the character of the CM ;) Thank you! We definitely have a plan B in place (which involves me going to Space 220 with them and then my husband taking them all out for ice cream later on).

Just wanted to say Happy Birthday to your daughter! My birthday is also May 11 -- I'll be celebrating my 50th at Magic Kingdom. Who am I kidding? We'll be there from the 7th to the 14th, and I'm celebrating my birthday every day! :-)

Happy birthday to you, too! We will be there the 7th through the 13th and celebrating her pretty much every day as well. We’ll look out for you! Enjoy your trip — what a special way to celebrate the big 5-0!

I was at the parks last week. We were only a party of two, so adding another person would have meant going from a 2 top to a 4 top, which is much harder than going from 3 people to 4 people (or 5 to 6 in your case). Our very first reservation was Be Our Guest, and I happened to notice at check in that it said the number of people I could add was 0, so I took note when checking into all our other reservations.
Be Our Guest: 0
Boma: 1
Cape May Cafe dinner: 1
Space 220: 0
Oga’s: 0
Trattoria Al Forno: 0
Beaches & Cream: 0

This is super helpful, thank you! Interesting to see the different options for adding on at the various restaurants. I appreciate you sharing your experience!

We went to Space 220 during our last trip in March. This was an extended family trip with DW, DD, myself, my parents, and my sister, her husband, and their 2 kids. Total of 9. My mom told me prior to adr booking day that she had read this and that about Space 220 being not worth the cost, etc, so if we got it (she knew the rest of us wanted to give it a try) to not include her and my dad.

Come the morning of I could not get a reservation for 7 but we got one for 3 and one for 4, which had us covered. I don't know if my mom thought that we would back out when she said they weren't interested or just didn't think we'd get the reservation but shortly after we did she started to change her tune and said she had FOMO, etc. We were able to add 1 person to the reservation for 3 but we had reservation trackers and checked often and never were able to get that 9th person on the reservation.

On the day of I showed up to the restaurant check in about twenty minutes early, explained that we had 2 reservations but, if at all possible we would like to add 1 person AND be seated together. If we could add the 1 and not be seated together that was the preferred option but we were prepared for a no on all fronts. In the end they were able to accommodate us, and with a very minimal wait, too. So, while I would not count on it I can tell you from personal experience that it is absolutely possible. Good luck and enjoy.

We went to Space 220 during our last trip in March. This was an extended family trip with DW, DD, myself, my parents, and my sister, her husband, and their 2 kids. Total of 9. My mom told me prior to adr booking day that she had read this and that about Space 220 being not worth the cost, etc, so if we got it (she knew the rest of us wanted to give it a try) to not include her and my dad.

Come the morning of I could not get a reservation for 7 but we got one for 3 and one for 4, which had us covered. I don't know if my mom thought that we would back out when she said they weren't interested or just didn't think we'd get the reservation but shortly after we did she started to change her tune and said she had FOMO, etc. We were able to add 1 person to the reservation for 3 but we had reservation trackers and checked often and never were able to get that 9th person on the reservation.

On the day of I showed up to the restaurant check in about twenty minutes early, explained that we had 2 reservations but, if at all possible we would like to add 1 person AND be seated together. If we could add the 1 and not be seated together that was the preferred option but we were prepared for a no on all fronts. In the end they were able to accommodate us, and with a very minimal wait, too. So, while I would not count on it I can tell you from personal experience that it is absolutely possible. Good luck and enjoy.
That’s awesome, thank you so much for sharing! I’m so glad they were able to accommodate you all and it makes me hopeful that they might for us as well :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter