Off to Sea the Wonders of Alaska

Zeke370

Earning My Ears
As I have stated in other posts I have started, my DW and I have booked a trip on the Disney Wonder for the 7 night Alaska itinerary. We booked in May of 2014 and have been antsy ever since.

My DW the ever constant plan, she is trying to have our suitcases packed since then. We have been watching various YouTube videos. This is our first cruise, though it is not my first time out to sea. As we have been waiting to go on our cruise we have moved from Washington State to Colorado and now in a couple of months we will be moving to Oregon. So much to DW's dismay we have not been able to pre-pack our suitcases.

I plan on posting every few days up to our departure.

TTFN

Hope you have extra days in Vancouver (perhaps a week). A common mistake to not allow enough days for this bonus port that is bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined....

Which May sailing departure are you on? Perhaps we can identify some season opportunities.

Last edited:
We are going in August. And we both have been to Vancouver several times.

When I mentioned May I meant that is the month we booked our cruise.

So as I am waiting, on pins and needles, to go on this cruise, I am stressing about moving. We just moved to Colorado in December 2014, and now we have to move in late April early May. As I type I know things will work out fine, but with 91 days 7 hours until I can On-line check in, I am curious as to what time I will be able to select for us to board. I cannot wait to do the check-in. :ccat:

So as I am waiting, on pins and needles, to go on this cruise, I am stressing about moving. We just moved to Colorado in December 2014, and now we have to move in late April early May. As I type I know things will work out fine, but with 91 days 7 hours until I can On-line check in, I am curious as to what time I will be able to select for us to board. I cannot wait to do the check-in. :ccat:

I am only 14 days from my Alaska check in, but I have no idea the hours. You are good (and excited)!

Last edited:
So it is a Sunday and I am packing, and while packing I am watching the Dis Unplugged 7 in 7. I have to admit I want to go to WDW soon. But first is the DCL. I have spoken to my friends going and we all have been paid off, but now just waiting on them getting their passports. I know they are not required, but I advise them to be prepared, because we will not know if we need to fly into or out of Canada. As the day count gets shorter the more excited I am getting. :dancer:

So it is a Sunday and I am packing, and while packing I am watching the Dis Unplugged 7 in 7. I have to admit I want to go to WDW soon. But first is the DCL. I have spoken to my friends going and we all have been paid off, but now just waiting on them getting their passports. I know they are not required, but I advise them to be prepared, because we will not know if we need to fly into or out of Canada. As the day count gets shorter the more excited I am getting. :dancer:

Passports are required because you are leaving out of Vancouver for the cruise, so getting them taken care of is a good thing.

If you ride the White Pass train to Fraser for tormented Valley and/or explore the Yukon.... The passport is handy to keep your options open.

Actually Sharksfinatic17 it is not required. If you live in a state that has an Enhanced Drivers License or Enhanced State Of you can use that for a cruise out of Vancouver, if you drive across the border.

Here we are a week later and I am trying to figure out how we are going to do things? Are we going to book a hotel the night before, or are we going to just drive up that day. As I have stated we are moving and we are still trying to narrow it down to either middle to southern Oregon or if we are just going to stay in Washington state.

My wife and I used to live with my mother-in-law until her and my father-in-law got back together. Once they were settled, my wife and I moved to Colorado. A little over a month ago my father-in-law passed away. Now we are planning to move in with my mother-in-law again. But I digress, What are your thoughts on a night in Vancouver or just drive up? From southern Washington it would be about a 4.5 hour drive, from southern Oregon it is about 9 hours.

Here we are a week later and I am trying to figure out how we are going to do things? Are we going to book a hotel the night before, or are we going to just drive up that day. As I have stated we are moving and we are still trying to narrow it down to either middle to southern Oregon or if we are just going to stay in Washington state.

My wife and I used to live with my mother-in-law until her and my father-in-law got back together. Once they were settled, my wife and I moved to Colorado. A little over a month ago my father-in-law passed away. Now we are planning to move in with my mother-in-law again. But I digress, What are your thoughts on a night in Vancouver or just drive up? From southern Washington it would be about a 4.5 hour drive, from southern Oregon it is about 9 hours.
If you are a planner.... you should be close to Vancouver the night before the cruise... at least past the border. Perhaps in nearby Richmond which is 30 minutes from the cruise terminal. Which sailing are you on? If a long weekend.... you definately want to be on the Canadian side as the border can be over 3 hours to cross at peak time.

My fav Richmond hotel... http://www.expedia.ca/Vancouver-Hotels-Radisson-Hotel-Vancouver-Airport.h14039.Hotel-Information

There's also stay 'n fly and stay 'n cruise options....
http://vancouver.parksleepfly.com/
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2181313

Last edited:
We are on the August 24th Sailing. Our friends are planning on staying at a Days Inn that is like 900 meters from the Canada Place terminal that has park and sail options. Another friend wants to stay at the Pan Pacific hotel. My wife and I do not know where we want to stay. It will probably depend on if we ride with one of our friends or if we go on our own.

We are on the August 24th Sailing. Our friends are planning on staying at a Days Inn that is like 900 meters from the Canada Place terminal that has park and sail options. Another friend wants to stay at the Pan Pacific hotel. My wife and I do not know where we want to stay. It will probably depend on if we ride with one of our friends or if we go on our own.
Unless you are sharing a room with them... you can stay anywhere in Vancouver to fit your budget. The downtown is very compact and is walking distance to one another. I like staying away from the cruise terminal for savings for extra days in Vancouver. What interests you in a hotel? Restaurants? Nightlife? Savings? 5 star service?

Last edited:
xlxo we are looking for a bed for the night, lol. So as we are 145 days away from our cruise we are getting excited....or is that I am moving in a month back to Washington state. We are going to be a good staging point if we decide to drive up on Monday the 24th or go up on Sunday the 23rd. The DW and I are getting shirts made for our group with each family getting their own color.

We are also looking into OBB, we just don't know what would be a good follow up cruise that we can afford since all of us pretty much work for minimum wage. Any ideas would be helpful. I want to do the Panama Canal. The WBPC is a little less than what we paid for our Alaskan Cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter