Official 2011 Princess Half Thread Part II!!!

:cool1: I can't believe the sweepers didn't get me! I never even saw them!!! I will say around mile 8 when one of the bike medics rode up along side me to see if i wanted gu, i wouldn't make eye contact because I thought he was a sweeper! LOL....

I did this by myself with a goal of just finishing.... i finished 3:30 - which in my book is AWESOME considering i started training in Oct 2010, had a stress fracture by Nov 2010 and didn't get approval to start "training" until the middle of Jan. 2011!

I thought the first mile for me was by far the HARDEST ever.... i did the "what the h*ll was i thinking signing up for this! I'm not as good as all these people!" But all the princesses around me where so awesome! All the nice comments and everyone cheering for everyone! I think i cried to myself every few miles because of the sheer excitement of being apart of something, which to me was so life changing.

I proved to myself that I really can do anything I set my mind on. At this point in my life, it is what I needed. Everyone has been so amazing in their support.

I was asked by a WDW employee if I won the race on my last day there (March 2nd) and I thought she was joking..... please, at 5'2 and about 40 pounds overweight, me???? She was serious.... I was like "i finished, which was way better than I thought I would do!"

2011 was my starting point and 3:30 is my starting time....... it gives me something to shoot towards for 2012!

I think at the point that I was on the overpass and I finally looked back down the highway and there where people as far as I could see, I realized that I would actually finish this! The entire time as people passed me, I was certain I was the very last person in the race..... I was a great feeling to see that I am "normal" and just as capable as everyone else!

To those who finished before me - thank you for being so kind to me as you flew by me and asked me kindly to move over!

I can't believe we did it!!! Here is to 2012!!!:yay:

You did great Shelby! I am right there with you...time was 3:29:51....SO many people passed me in the race, but hey I did it. People were really nice as they passed me though.:goodvibes

I agree about overpass, still a sea of people. Way to go to overcome all the obstacles and push through!

For those princesses that ran this year, check your email.... If you ever thought of doing the FULL marathon in January, 2012 may be the year you want to try it...

"As a thank you for participating in this year's Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend, we'd like to invite you to register for the 2012 Walt Disney World Marathon in January and save $20 on your entry fee*. That's in addition to the published early registration savings! Just register online by May 15, 2011, and use coupon code MTH12BBPRN**. (Registration opens March 15, 2011.)"

I like the color of your bib. Which princess did you pick? Just in case, I do this run next year. :)

Expedition Everest looks fun! How hard is it???

I chose Cinderella :)

My BF and I have looked at the Expedition Everest thing before and said we'd like to do it...maybe next year. The medal you get for it is really neat...it's like a compass and it flips open. I don't think it looks like it would be too too hard.

Hi Ladies!

I started writing my race report here.

I also wrote about the expo and I'll be putting a condensed race report on the Disney Driven Life. The expo report will be up next Tuesday so I'll share a link when it up.

Hi, Princesses! It almost feels too late to chime in, but I will anyway. Hubby and I got to WDW late Friday night, picked up our packets and did the Expo on Saturday (CRAZY crowded, which was to become a theme), and discovered Pop Century was not a host resort and had to draft his folks to pick us up at 3a.m. Eek!

I was disappointed there were no commemroative pins left at the Expo. There had been sooo many at Hubby's Marathon Expo in January. Would anyone share a pic of the pin so I really knwo what I'm missing? ;)

The race itself went beautifully for me. It was warmer than I expected but I kept my water bottle full of powerade and water, courtesy of the frequent water stops, and fueled more than I had on any training run, so I actually finished stronger than either of my 13-mile training runs. I finished and finished sub-3, which was my secret personal goal, but I don't think I'll ever run the Princess again. It was just TOOOOOOO crowded. I've run a few races already and knwo that my perosnal prefernce is for smaller fields. This was just too big, too crowded for me. Most runners did follow etiquette--thank you!!--but getting through the castle and down the ramp was sheer torture. We shuffled, pressed together like canned sardines. And people stopped in the middle of the ramp to take photos. Photos, yay, but please move to the side!

Anyhoo, it was a great day!!! The days after in the parks were spectacular. I'm having Disney withdrawal!

We're already reigstered for the DL Half, thank goodness. This is will be our first visit to DL, so it'll be a great adventure.

One totally unexpected thing, though--I ended up with 3 bruised toenails, which has never happened before. Even on 13 mile runs. Anyone know what's that's about?!?!?!?

Congrats to all of us. Sparkle on, Princesses!!!!!

I finally started posting my trip report! The link is in my signature.

This year's race videos are up at http://www.mydisneymarathon.com/Princess/multimedia

Danhockey04 pointed out that I was in the Half Marathon video about 1 minute in. I'm with Tiana, Naveen, and Louis. So cool!! :cool1:

very cool...it so hard to catch people. I'm always hitting the stop button to see if I recognize anyone.

My DD is in the espnwwos youtube video featuring outfits..more should look at that especailly if you were pulled into the marketing/media tent at the end of race.

I made into the still photos on that site.

One totally unexpected thing, though--I ended up with 3 bruised toenails, which has never happened before. Even on 13 mile runs. Anyone know what's that's about?!?!?!?

Me too! What IS up with that anyway? It's never happened on any of my training runs either...never even any discomfort or anything, so I was totally surprised the day after the run that 2 of my toes were more sore than anything else...and my running shoes are a full size bigger then my normal shoe size. If it's just a bruise under the nail, will the nail fall off? I'm a little freaked out about that...is it painful for them to fall off? Will I still be able to train when/if it does?

Me too! What IS up with that anyway? It's never happened on any of my training runs either...never even any discomfort or anything, so I was totally surprised the day after the run that 2 of my toes were more sore than anything else...and my running shoes are a full size bigger then my normal shoe size. If it's just a bruise under the nail, will the nail fall off? I'm a little freaked out about that...is it painful for them to fall off? Will I still be able to train when/if it does?

I suspect (but admittedly have no data proving it) that people suffer more blisters and black toenails during a race because they run harder/faster than they typically did in training.

If your nails are purple/black, then yeah, there is a pretty good chance that you will be losing them. (Sometimes, if you get them drained soon enough, you can keep the nail, but not always.) No, they don't hurt when they come off (at least, mine coming off has never been painful, or at least, no more so than a normal blister), and you can still train without them. They are pretty much optional equipment - I think I am missing three or four right now, actually. :rotfl:

(They do grow back, but since I have some pretty funky toes, and run a lot, mine are probably not coming back until I stop running. The area where the nail was will be tender for a few days, IIRC, though I have been missing the ones in question for some time now, and my recollection may be erroneous.)

You can count me in the bruised toenail group too! I'd never had that happen either and I know my shoes are big enough. A teammate of mine suggested it had to do with how loose/tight I tied my shoes.

What's weird is the bruise on my right toenail is at the base and looks like a bruise. The one on left is about halfway up and looks like a brownish blood circle. Ewwwww.

I'm curious. Both my bruised toenails are ingrown ones. Will they grow back that way if they fall off?

I need more info to spot you..like who you dressed like or number or time in video.

My DD is pocohontas at 2:58 in.

sorry, I'm confused? :lmao: I made the video, my name is Jen...I'm in the light pink sparkle skirt, ha ha. And fireworks are at 2:58 so I don't see pocahontas :goodvibes

eta: sorry...I figured it out. you were referring to the OTHER video, lol.

sorry, I'm confused? :lmao: I made the video, my name is Jen...I'm in the light pink sparkle skirt, ha ha. And fireworks are at 2:58 so I don't see pocahontas :goodvibes

eta: sorry...I figured it out. you were referring to the OTHER video, lol.

Great video. Love your music.
We had issues with our camera and the humidity.

You poor women!!! You def. earned that medal!

I didn't get any bruised toenails. I pretty much shuffled along. I think in all of the excitement around you, you might have jammed your toes one time too many. Also, there was that steep downhill! Remember that? I walked that because of my knees. Didn't want a blow out running down it. That would certainly jam your nails.

My shoes are also one size larger. I filed down my nails really good the night before, even on top at an angle, mindful not to file my skin. I wore thick socks, glide and powder.

The nails grow back gradually starting at the cuticle. Sometimes, they can grow back funny looking. But usually, grow back normal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter