Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread - Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of us spent hours and hours training. I was trained to finish in the excepted corral finishing time. I have race times to prove it. Being from the south, I spend months upon months training in the humidity, so I wasn't expecting it to hit me so hard. I'm not sure how my stopping for photos (pre mile 9 near black out) slowed anyone down though. It's not like the character lines were across the road. Each time I stopped I was running again by the time I was back on the road

MoonFaerie,

Have you ever trained with Salt caps? It really sounds like you did have an electrolyte imbalance.
I don't think that it's 1 specific reason. Disney races are just logistically too small
To support such a large amount of people. Most races are not impervious to improper corralling. However if you are on a major stretch of road you can just zig zag and eventually things even out. But at Disney, because its a closed course that's just dangerous. There is room in the running community for walkers and runners. I have been passed many times by a speed walker!!! But the fact that there is simply a bottle neck thru out an entire course, most race directors would be busting tail to get this fix, however I just think Disney knows that they will make money because they are Disney.

The likely culprit of my heat intolerance looks to be my blood pressure meds. I have high bp because I only have 1 kidney & I'm limited in bp options because of the 1 kidney. Heat & light sensitivity are among the possible side effects. So I'm still not sure what I could have done differently. Maybe adjust the time I take my pill so the side effects might be less intense.

MoonFaerie,

Have you ever trained with Salt caps? It really sounds like you did have an electrolyte imbalance.

I haven't tried salt caps. I was drinking both water and powerade at the stops. Until I stopped sweating, I was my normal level of salty sweat.

annmarieda said:
I am not complaining about those who were placed correctly and they experienced a mishap... I am complaining about those who out and out lied about a qualifying time to get into a better corral and or those who knew full well they were in a corral that had an estimated finish time much less than they KNEW they would do.

So if you at not one of those people you have (in my book) nothing to defend. I hope you recovered quickly! And as for your statement about not knowing what you could have done differently.... Not sure. I know I learned some things to do differently. Like- don't miss when your corral is called... Or stand in a fire ant nest while waiting to start or wear new shoes that you haven't taken for a longer than 6 mile run. My dh loves the time he watched my first race and saw someone come across the finish and promptly puked... While laughing and saying "should have trained harder....I should have trained harder". I think the point is... From my perspective we learn something about ourselves each race...

How could someone lie about time when you have to provide proof of time from a 10K? I understand how someone could really push themselves at a 10K but how could someone lie? Just trying to understand.

Hey everybody! Hope all who traveled home, got there safely. Feeling so much better today. My thighs hurt a bit, but not as badly as yesterday. I found out there is a 1/2 going on here on 3/23, and I am thinking about participating. Supposed to be 1000 runners. Will give me a chance for a better time than the Princess. Shout out to all the princesses I got to meet and the prince-DanHockey.

There are many different types of races and disney races tend to be more about the experience then the time. It is very difficult to get a good time, even in the higher corrals. I have PRed a Disney race, but not in an anniversary year and not under the weather conditions we had this weekend. This was my 6th Disney race, 5th time running through MK and I felt it was the most crowded the course has ever seemed and my first race I was in corral G of the marathon back in 2007. The best experience I had was corral A of the 2011 marathon- no congestion at all. Corral A was packed this year.
As they keep adding more runners it will get worse. I am running DDD in August/September this year and then I am calling it quits from RunDisney events for awhile. Too much money and too many people. I'll be back eventually, just taking a break:). I did like the atmosphere of the Princess race, but I would never attempt a PR or even a good time during it. It just doesn't have the right feeling. The January races feel more like fast races to me. Wine and Dine felt like a big party. Can't wait to get the vibe from the West Coast.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

How could someone lie about time when you have to provide proof of time from a 10K? I understand how someone could really push themselves at a 10K but how could someone lie? Just trying to understand.

It's easy to lie about finish time at registration. Is there any mechanism to check what you put into the questionnaire at active.com?

I am OK with a truthful 10k proof-of-time, predictor for a half marathon, not so much for a marathon, assuming the use of Jack Daniels or similar prediction charts.

I guess that we are debating about the honesty of applicants/participants.

If Disney did a random audit of proof-of-time and threw lairs/cheats into corral H, when caught, you might get compliance.

flatlandcycle said:
It's easy to lie about finish time at registration. Is there any mechanism to check what you put into the questionnaire at active.com?

I am OK with a truthful 10k proof-of-time, predictor for a half marathon, not so much for a marathon, assuming the use of Jack Daniels or similar prediction charts.

I guess that we are debating about the honesty of applicants/participants.

If Disney did a random audit of proof-of-time and threw lairs/cheats into corral H, when caught, you might get compliance.

Just trying to understand all of this. Are you saying you don't have to send in an official time after to register? Next year will be my first half with Disney. I am in the process of training and trying my hardest to find local timed events to help me get placed in anything other than the last corral. Yes this is more of an experience (actually a reward) and I want to have time to get pictures.

Never to old said:
Just trying to understand all of this. Are you saying you don't have to send in an official time after to register? Next year will be my first half with Disney. I am in the process of training and trying my hardest to find local timed events to help me get placed in anything other than the last corral. Yes this is more of an experience (actually a reward) and I want to have time to get pictures.

When you register it has you pick a time,but it also says you must provide proof of time if you plan to finish under 2:45.

So,I guess someone who knows they will be doing 16 mm could just put 2:45 and be in a higher corral. Which is a big difference...

I agree. An area specifically for walkers would of made so much more sense...There were sections with cones separating the road and runners jumped over there to actually run only to get pushed back because security cars were going by...

I put a whole year into my training for this....and then to get my worst times.. My husband was getting run updates and he was wondering what the heck happened to me because I was so much slower than expected.

I am not sure splitting racers up into two groups would exactly solve the problem since that leaves a third group out in the open. Those of us that run/walk. I can't speak for everyone who uses the method but I can't personally sustain a run for more than 3 minutes at a time. If we're talking beginning of a race and the weather is good I maybe able to go at it for five but that's pushing it. So maybe three lanes, because I sure don't want to weave in out of cones that would be set up?

I do agree that something needs to be done about the congestion though. Before I got sick around mile 4 I must have hopped onto the grass at least half a dozen times so I was actually making ground during my run intervals because I couldn't find any room to get through near me.

Hoping that they may cut the race cap for next year's Princess. They increased the cap too much and didn't think about the consequences.

I grew up in a time where honesty was a matter of personal pride.
When I register I put in a time and race that I actually did, but there is no sending in, snail mail, a document of proof.

As a practical matter, finding local races of 10k length, and doing them, should be part of training for a half marathon. Being in crowds, having pre-race butterflies, and testing race nutrition is all good preparation.

I can't say for sure how a person lied. I am just repeating what I was told.... And that was that someone said they lied in order to get into corral A in order to have time to stop for pictures. Putting down a finish time of 2:45, I wouldn't think would get you into A, but maybe? I have also read about "official" races that are not chipped where participants turn in their own times to the race officials who then document the "official" results. If this does in fact happen, then I would think someone could turn in an incorrect time and that then would become their "official" time that could be turned in as proof of time.

All of this is what I would take issue with- not run/walkers maintaining their pace for their corral or even walkers on the course. I take issue not because I have some right to or even want to PR... But because it shows (in my opinion) a lack of courtesy to everyone else trying to have a nice time and do their best.

flatlandcycle said:
I grew up in a time where honesty was a matter of personal pride.
When I register I put in a time and race that I actually did, but there is no sending in, snail mail, a document of proof.

As a practical matter, finding local races of 10k length, and doing them, should be part of training for a half marathon. Being in crowds, having pre-race butterflies, and testing race nutrition is all good preparation.

I certainly wouldn't lie to get moved. That would stress me out. I would be afraid of being run over. Of course with the congestion that might not happen, lol. Seriously I would be stressed. I already feel stressed about my first practice half. I don't think they really want walkers even if they can maintain the race pace, which I can. It's actually more generous than Disney, but 2 whole minutes. I am trying to convince myself that I am a runner if I do walk/run intervals. But that actually feels like a lie. I thought about down grading it to less than a half, but I already walk more than that on a regular basis. Sorry for the rant. I do agree with you as far as doing the practice ones in crowds. My only experience so far was a 5k and I was surprised by the amount of people and how hard it was to move past people.

So here is my next question. If you can't do it in less than 2.45 is worth even sending anything in? Or are the later corrals filled by when you register?

annmarieda said:
I can't say for sure how a person lied. I am just repeating what I was told.... And that was that someone said they lied in order to get into corral A in order to have time to stop for pictures. Putting down a finish time of 2:45, I wouldn't think would get you into A, but maybe? I have also read about "official" races that are not chipped where participants turn in their own times to the race officials who then document the "official" results. If this does in fact happen, then I would think someone could turn in an incorrect time and that then would become their "official" time that could be turned in as proof of time.

All of this is what I would take issue with- not run/walkers maintaining their pace for their corral or even walkers on the course. I take issue not because I have some right to or even want to PR... But because it shows (in my opinion) a lack of courtesy to everyone else trying to have a nice time and do their best.

I wonder if they are using like time off of a running app like run keeper or something similar?

This has been an interesting discussion on coral placement.

Here is what I experienced...I started in corral A and pretty far up. First, I do have a 10K time from last spring of 52 min. There was a small line for the hunks, I mean heros. Maybe 10 people. I can remember how long the line was for the evil princesses at the MK parking lot. There was no one in line for Buzz or Princess Aurora. Just before entering the castle there was a small, maybe 10 people line for Minnie and Mickey. When I got back to the heros there was a HUGE line...looked like a mob of people and I don't know how anyone starting in a later corral could have had the time to stand in that line.

The run from corral A is obvious a different race then starting back further.

The first year I started in B and there was just over 6000 runners and there was never more than a 2 or 3 in a line. The second year I think just over 10,000 and I started in B and still the lines were short. The third year I started in B and the lines were more line 6-10 waiting in line. And the fourth year I started in A and the line for the heros was probably 10-15 and Princess Aurora was 10-15.

I don't know what rundisney can do about it, but I do know as long as we keep paying, they will continue to do what they are doing.

It wouldn't. It would put you in corral D. Or would have this year. That's what time I put down. I think I could have gotten moved up to the back of the pack in C at the expo, but I didn't because I knew I was already dropping back my run intervals because of the heat.

The congestion issue can be solved in a number if ways

1) start race at 5am and have longer times between corrals

2) less people in each corral = adding more corrals

3) less people all together

4) less character stops OR space them out better. More on the highways less bank to back in MK

I vote for earlier start particularly in hot weather. It was crowded, when I wanted to run harder I couldn't, but I was totally fine with all that

I came to princess to run with girlfriends, have a unique experience, and take a bunch of goofy pictures. Mission accomplished. It wasn't pretty, but it was fun!

Everyone runs for their own reasons- I think this is not the race for some people due to congestion and higher run walkers. Doesn't mean you don't have the right to run it, just means you might need to accept it going in and find a way to just keep swimming! We were in C and quickly fell back to d and e due to pictures. Finished with G runners but I think we took almost every pic on the course. Which was stupid fun. ;)

Tinkeramy and saysay need their own fan club- so fun to run with these gals!

Not sure about the whole issue run vs. walk vs. run/walkers.

I trained to run this with the hopes of a 2 hour time. And to do that I needed "all the stars to aline", but Wednesday before the race I was sick and was in bed and Saturday night before the race I had a horrible headache and hadn't eaten since our lunch around 1pm. Add in the heat and HUMIDITY and I wasn't sure what would happen.

I did not run the whole race. By mile 4 I was throwing in some short walk breaks. I am now home and have been able to look at my sports watch with GPS info and see what happened. First, when I plugged it into my computer it came up with a message I had PR'd the half with a 2:06 (that's when my GPS got to 13.1) , BUT the distance I ran before crossing the finish line was 13.3 according to my GPS and my clock time from active is 2:09 and is 10 sec. shorter than my watch time. :confused3

So here is my next question. If you can't do it in less than 2.45 is worth even sending anything in? Or are the later corrals filled by when you register?

They are all time based:

Elite* 1 - 30 < 1:30
A* 31 - 2961 < 2:15
B* 2962 - 5924 < 2:30
C 5925 - 8667 < 2:45
D 8668 - 11343 < 2:50
E 11344 - 14009 < 3:00
F 14010 - 16608 3:00
G 16609 - 19296 < 3:20
H 19297 - 22290

I really, REALLY don't think this is a runners vs. walkers thing. It's mainly logistics. The field is too big and the course is too tight. Even if someone lied about their time to get in A, if they are much slower than they will be naturally shaken out soon after the run starts.

That being said, it WOULD benefit Dis greatly to at least spot check the submitted times. For those who don't know, I'm pretty sure that runDisney does NOT check all those submitted times. I like the previous poster's idea about at least spot checking and those who gave an invalid race / time get automatically moved to H. So,yes, you are basically counting on people's honesty.

However, all that being said, I think it would still be a minimal impact if the course supported the field. I'm a hybrid - I am a slightly faster runner - between a 10:00 and 10:30 pace - but I also do run/ walk, usually run half a mile and walk 1 minute. I've earned a Corral B placement each of the 3 years I've done this and started in C the last 2 years with friends. This is the first year I have seen such bottlenecking.

My inexperienced opinion is that this race needs to be capped at 20,000, or many, many more corrals added. I've run the Peachtree Road Race 10K the last couple of years (60K runners) and they have corrals A-Y! It's crowded, but not to the point where you just can't get around. They also run along a course that provides 4-5 lanes of road.

Finally - where are the princesses?!?! I mean, this is the PRINCESS half marathon. Why aren't all the princess characters out in full force? In the MK we saw Belle and then Cinderella, about to be switched out with Aurora. At the very least, they could do what they do with the heroes - a bundle of princesses all at one stop. Just kind of a pet peeve for someone who does this for fun and pictures (and does NOT lie to get into B corral! :thumbsup2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter