Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread - Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am COMPLETELY freaked out!!!

My 10.5 mile "wog" on Saturday was disasterous. I ended up calling the DH to come pick me up at 10 miles. :sad:

70* with 100% humidity. I finally had gotten used to the cold, but this heat and humidity was horrible! Then it started to pour down rain. I had a great attitude about it, thinking I would be prepared if this happened at the PHM. ;)

Then came the blisters at mile 6. They encompass the ENTIRE balls of BOTH feet. :eek: I was just going to power through it. But at mile 9.5, I had enough. I called DH at mile 10 for a "Search and Rescue." I felt so incredibly stupid to have to call and get picked up. :(

If my feet can hold up, I'll be good to go. I just don't know if they will -- which FREAKS ME OUT!!! Any suggestions for the blisters? I've tried BodyGlide, switching socks -- these haven't worked. HELP!!!

Ouch! that sounds painful! Just to be sure, are the socks you switched to specifically for running, moisture wicking type? I've heard there are some types of running socks that are thin, but double layered, that are supposed to help with blisters...maybe something like that would make a difference for you? that's crazy that you use the body glide and can still get blisters that bad! I'm sorry...I don't know what else to suggest. :confused3 I have a couple of problem toes that always get hellacious blisters on the bottom when I walk alot...like on Disney trips. I don't get them when running, just walking, even in the same shoes. It's weird....I haven't figured out any combo that will keep them away.

My 10.5 mile "wog" on Saturday was disasterous. I ended up calling the DH to come pick me up at 10 miles. :sad:

70* with 100% humidity. I finally had gotten used to the cold, but this heat and humidity was horrible! Then it started to pour down rain. I had a great attitude about it, thinking I would be prepared if this happened at the PHM. ;)

Then came the blisters at mile 6. They encompass the ENTIRE balls of BOTH feet. :eek: I was just going to power through it. But at mile 9.5, I had enough. I called DH at mile 10 for a "Search and Rescue." I felt so incredibly stupid to have to call and get picked up. :(

If my feet can hold up, I'll be good to go. I just don't know if they will -- which FREAKS ME OUT!!! Any suggestions for the blisters? I've tried BodyGlide, switching socks -- these haven't worked. HELP!!!

Don't feel bad. When I first started "running" I had to have DH come get me at mile 4. I had done my first 5k and thought I was a rock star so I went for 5 the following weekend. :rotfl:

for your feet. Your socks can not in any way be cotton. Are your shoes real running shoe's? These are the socks I use
http://www.socksaddict.com/1414-Feetures-Light-Low-Cut-Socks.aspx

I like your amended plan better! I think I may do something similar. So far I've managed to stay almost completely injury free except for a few twinges here and there that I've found I can manage by rolling and stretching. I really don't want to overdo it now, causing injury. I understand "cramming" miles in is one common pitfall of being in the late stages of training. I'm thinking conservative is the way to go.
This is a better plan. Do not to high miles back to back, you will set yourself up of injury going in to the Princess.
I agree with pull back weeks for recovery. I would make the shorter runs a little more intense than the LR.
Thanks all - I feel a lot better about it hearing your opinions! Yes, there's definitely the urge to cram and I must not pay attention to that urge. :thumbsup2

Can anyone who has ITband syndrome try to explain what it feels like? Its what the dr and PT diagnosed me with, but I'm just not sure I agree with it. I can foam roll my ITband all day and don't find a single spot that hurts (and I've heard that foam rolling the ITband hurts!). They show me stretches that should be slightly painful, and they're not. Yet after the half today, my knee once again is killing me. I've been icing off and on all day but still have a heavy limp. My pain is on the outside of the knee (which is why it leads to the ITband thought) but it feels like its the actual bone to me. It doesn't hurt above or below the side of the knee, but the bone right where it bends. I'm so frustrated that nothing in PT worked. And I have an other 5k on Saturday.
I think it feels like someone's driving an ice pick into the outside of my knee. Totally debilitating; there is no "run through it." I didn't find the foam roller to be painful until I found THE SPOT. The Spot can be anywhere up and down you IT Band, so it takes some work to locate it. And it's not really the band itself that you're rolling; it's a steel-cord-like tendon that can't be stretched much. What you're really targeting are the muscles around it that tense up. The pain in the knee is bone, or really a small bursa sac just on top of the bone - when things tighten higher up in the leg, the IT Band gets stretched taut against the knee joint. When we run on that, the IT Band rubs against the bursa sac between it and the bone, creating friction. That's the pain, but not the actual site in need of therapy.

Here's the thing - you MUST let the inflammation at the knee go away before you can begin recovering. MUST. I took 3 weeks off and could've used 4 or 5. No running, walking or elliptical - nothing that creates that friction. The foam roller and exercises are designed to stretch out adhesions and muscle spasms and to build strength in the supporting network of muscles. But all is a waste if you don't also ID what brought on ITBS in the first place. Mine was easy; always running the same side of our very canted roadways created mega knots in my outer quad and gluteus medias, which tightened my IT Band.

I am also doing an interval of 2:2 and have done variations during my training. I think if I had gone to Doc sooner and gotten the Albuterol I might actually be able to do a 4 or 5 min and 1 in walk but I will take what I can right now!
You're doing great! :thumbsup2

Dh loves runkeepeer! I do not. She annoys the crap out of me hahahaha!
LOL, me too! I use iSmoothRun and have it export to RunKeeper.

Is anyone else getting super nervous about the upcoming race?
Yep! A littler nervous, worrying about my knee, but super excited!

My 10.5 mile "wog" on Saturday was disasterous. I ended up calling the DH to come pick me up at 10 miles. :sad:...

OMG, talk about a bad run! :hug: At least it's out of the way; nothing ahead but blue skies! I've been lucky not to deal with blisters so far, but it may be due to my socks: Smartwool. I swear by them. Not a blister even when I ran 10 miles in a tropical storm!

Mommy to Two Princes said:

Have you tried PT tape? I just did a 15k on Sunday and taped the balls of my feet. No blisters. I use PT tape for foot pain but it helped with the blister problem too.

stupid question about corrals.... but how do they work? are they like real corrals and you get herded into a closed area? just a general area that you kinda mill around? we just had a bad experience at a 10k where there were no corrals, no nothing, and a huge bottle neck so we're just curious about this procedure

Do you have a local running store? I would ask there about the blisters. If not I would put duck tape on the balls of my feet!!

The corrals are fairly organized. They are easy to get in and out of. Disney sets up huge screen monitors so you can see what is going on at the starting line. Lots of music and fireworks. You have to sit there awhile but they make it bareble.

Do any of you ladies remember the name of the sized ear buds they were selling at the ToT expo? DH wanted them and we didn't get them and now we can't find the business card! Halp!

princessallegra said:
Do any of you ladies remember the name of the sized ear buds they were selling at the ToT expo? DH wanted them and we didn't get them and now we can't find the business card! Halp!

Was it YURbuds?

Yurbuds?

I was irritated at runDisney, so I did not spend a lot of time at the ToT expo.

tink2007 said:
Have you tried PT tape? I just did a 15k on Sunday and taped the balls of my feet. No blisters. I use PT tape for foot pain but it helped with the blister problem too.

Believe it or not, I run without socks. I use Bandaids on my toes and the balls of my feet.

I have a question that I really don't want to face but is looking more and more like a reality. Does anyone know what happens when you get picked up for not keeping pace? Do you get taken directly to finish line or do you stay at the back of the race behind the runners?

I'm asking because my mom and I were training for this race and in the middle of Oct my sister was diagnosed with stage 4 appendicial cancer. Taking care of her and her family has set us back in our training. We are still going to start the race and attempt to finish, but I want to be prepared for getting picked up just in case...

For the W&D I didn't get the training done I should have, only made it to 8miles. I almost didn't cross the start line I was so scared. I lined up with a fellow princess and began my race. I was so ready and willing to be picked up by mile 9, although they had the buses outside of DHS and we were 30 sec behind pace, they didn't make us get on that bus.

Start your race if you get picked up they will take you to the meet and greet at the finish. But if they don't pick you up you will be good. Hug.

Is anyone else getting super nervous about the upcoming race?

I've been training, have a coach and am still worried about my pace. I guess training in the frozen north has it's disadvantages.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
Sorry, nothing related to your post. But, I was SO confused for a minute. My daughter's name is Reagan, and I go by 'Reagansmom' on some other sites. I couldn't remember writing this post. :rotfl:

pjpoohbear said:
For the W&D I didn't get the training done I should have, only made it to 8miles. I almost didn't cross the start line I was so scared. I lined up with a fellow princess and began my race. I was so ready and willing to be picked up by mile 9, although they had the buses outside of DHS and we were 30 sec behind pace, they didn't make us get on that bus.

Start your race if you get picked up they will take you to the meet and greet at the finish. But if they don't pick you up you will be good. Hug.

Do you still get a medal?

princessallegra said:
I thought it was, but at the expo they sized DH and told him he was a 7. On the YurBuds website they have no sizes. Did they change the product?

Hmmm. I have pairs that I got from Target, one for women and the other says "ironman" on them, but no sizes. I know if you send them a pic of your ear next to a quarter, they will custom make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter