• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2014 Donald Half Marathon

question re: spectator viewing points ( I apologize if this has already been addressed in this thread, I couldn't find any info here about it but may have overlooked it!)
In the official race guide, it has some viewing points listed for spectators. For the viewing pointss at The Contemporary, Grand FLoridian and Polynesian, it says for guests staying at those properties. Is it possible for other spectators go to those viewing points as well even if they are not staying at those resorts? I was debating having DH and the kids go to the TTC or the Poly to watch (I'm pretty sure they won't go into MK as I have read it is pretty crowded and difficult to see your runner)
Thoughts?

Good Morning Marathoners
Less than 2 weeks now!!! :cool1::banana::scared1:
My daughter and I where planning on wearing a small pouch and bib holder combo by Fitletic. We read somewhere (can't remember where :confused3)
that Disney requires your bib to be attached at all four corners. Is this true?
We are first timers. Sorry for the dumb question but with the way the combo attaches at your waist and hangs down from your waist there is no way to attach the bib at the bottom.
Thanks for your feedback!!

I pinned it to my tutu for tower of terror--the problem with only pinning two or pinning it to something like that is that it wasn't easily visible while I was running.

I had a lot of marathonfoto people yelling at me, "WE CAN'T SEE YOUR NUMBER!!!!"

DO you run with the compression socks on or do you wear them after running? I've been contemplating trying some but haven't decided whether to wear them during or after yet.

I only just bought calf sleeves with the intention of wearing them after. I had noticed how yummy my legs felt when I simply put knee socks on, and figured the compression would be better. The sleeves were, indeed, better.

Then on my last long run it was super-cold, and I'm not used to running in the morning and was looking to be out for 3:30 at least, so I put them on for the run and wowza did they feel nice. The only thing that bugged me was the gap between sock and sleeve, so I figured I'd get a sock. My feet haven't been overly picky about what sort of wicking-type of sock I wear, so I'm hoping that doesn't bite me in the rear, LOL. *

Yesterday I finally found (locally) the ClifShot Electrolyte Hydration lemon/lime powder. I had signed up for a Clif Pace Team for the Half and they sent a box with some samples, and that was in there. But by the time I tried it it was too late to order it! Thankfully I found last night that the local bike shop sells it. So if anyone needs some, I have a big pouch with 20 servings in it, and I'll be bringing little ziptop bags! Find me at the Expo; my redhead son and I will be there bright and early on the 8th. :) (now that I have the stuff I'm sure the Clif vendors will be selling it&will be just my luck!**)

*apparently I have a tradition for trying nearly-new things at races, despite being a firm believer in NOTHING NEW AT A RACE. For me, this seems to only apply to things I'll be eating and drinking. I don't think that anyone should be trying anything new. Even though I sort of am. Time keeps running out on this new runner!

**Also, speaking of things I could probably find at the Expo, I saw in the program that CEP will actually be there at the Expo, so they will probably be selling exactly what I just stressed out over&just my luck, but of course if I had assumed they would have what I needed, it would be the opposite luck, right? :)

question re: spectator viewing points ( I apologize if this has already been addressed in this thread, I couldn't find any info here about it but may have overlooked it!)
In the official race guide, it has some viewing points listed for spectators. For the viewing pointss at The Contemporary, Grand FLoridian and Polynesian, it says for guests staying at those properties. Is it possible for other spectators go to those viewing points as well even if they are not staying at those resorts? I was debating having DH and the kids go to the TTC or the Poly to watch (I'm pretty sure they won't go into MK as I have read it is pretty crowded and difficult to see your runner)
Thoughts?

My wife did this last year. She viewed me at the T&T then went throught the Poly walkway to the road where the half went through. She was then able to see me there and then was able to get back to the finish line to see me again there. I ran a 2 hour half marathon. I don't think she had much of a wait when getting back on the monorail to head to the finish line. That could be the only hangup in the plan. It depends on when you start and how fast you run, but they should be able to definitely see you at T&T and the other side of the Poly.

DO you run with the compression socks on or do you wear them after running? I've been contemplating trying some but haven't decided whether to wear them during or after yet.

I do run with compression socks because of an injury and it does help! In fact, my favorite brand is CEP. I will also take another pair to wear after the race.

I do run with compression socks because of an injury and it does help! In fact, my favorite brand is CEP. I will also take another pair to wear after the race.

That's a great idea. I'll be sure to bring my sleeves. The only issue will be in finding the strength to get the socks off and the sleeves on. :) All while controlling the urge to swear as I change my shoes (when I got home from the 14 mile training run I knew I was home alone, and the things I was saying to my feet and shoes were shocking!). :lmao:

An hour ago I signed up for a St Patrick's Day half. I'll be able to wear the green socks for it! Woo!

That's a great idea. I'll be sure to bring my sleeves. The only issue will be in finding the strength to get the socks off and the sleeves on. :) All while controlling the urge to swear as I change my shoes (when I got home from the 14 mile training run I knew I was home alone, and the things I was saying to my feet and shoes were shocking!). :lmao:

An hour ago I signed up for a St Patrick's Day half. I'll be able to wear the green socks for it! Woo!

Lol....I hope you washed your mouth out with soap for cussing at your feet like that!:rolleyes2

Help!! Only 10 days left!! This is my first half and I have had IT band problems since thanksgiving and haven't been able to train since Thanksgiving. I did 6 miles last week and my knee started killing at mile 4. I have done PT, foam rolling, etc. I am considering getting a cortisone shot this week, ANY thought?!! Please help! Any advise is welcome!

Help!! Only 10 days left!! This is my first half and I have had IT band problems since thanksgiving and haven't been able to train since Thanksgiving. I did 6 miles last week and my knee started killing at mile 4. I have done PT, foam rolling, etc. I am considering getting a cortisone shot this week, ANY thought?!! Please help! Any advise is welcome!
First, I'm so sorry - I went through a massive case of ITBS last year and know how debilitating and frustrating it is. :hug:

For me, the key to recovery was finding and correcting the root cause, in addition to seeing a chiro, total rest from running, foam rolling and strength training. But, you need ideas to cope NOW to get through Donald, right? Okay... I think I'd first say no more running until the race; if you don't allow the inflammation at the knee to go down, you're dead in the water. Does it hurt to walk? If not, plan on lots of walking for the race. I was mostly recovered, but still touchy for PHM last year, so my last couple long training runs and first half of the race went like this: walk 1/2 mile, run/walk 1/4 mile, walk 1/2 mile, run/walk 1/4 mile, etc. Doing that delayed the onset of pain and allowed me to start reducing some walking later in the race when I felt I could. I also pulled over to stretch regularly.

I don't recommend a cortisone injection this late in the game. Why? I had one a couple months ago for hip bursitis and can testify that things often get much, much worse before they get better with the shot. I had a huge case of cortisone flare (which it turns out is very common) and literally couldn't walk for a day; I had to crawl, crying, to get to my bathroom. No exercise at all for a week, and it took another two after to feel anywhere near able to run. And I still have pain in the injection area from tissue damage. No way would I chance it this close to race day!

I wish you much luck - it really is fixable, though it seems to take forever. Hang in there!

I bought a velcro strap that goes around your leg a couple of inches above your knee. It has a little "lump" in it that pushes against the IT Band and keeps it from rubbing against bone, which is (I guess) what causes most of the pain. For a long period of time I couldn't run more than about five miles without using it, but with it on I was able to run 18 completely pain free. Might be worth a try.

This is the one I bought - I found it at my local runner's store: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/PRO010/protec-athletics-it-band-compression-wrap/

You should have heard the words that came out of my mouth when I put my compression socks on for the very first time a few years ago. I had been in a cast for 8 weeks because of surgery and my surgeon told me to wear compression socks as my foot was still very swollen. Since I was to wear a boot for the next 8 weeks or so, I wasn't about to wear old lady compression socks, so I bought a pair of Zoot and CEP. Do not ever try to put a compression sock on a foot that hasn't moved for 8 weeks. Really, trust me on that! :rotfl:

I'm walking this race because of my ITBS. I've been seeing a chiro since September and even though I'm making progress, I don't want to chance it. I want to have fun in the race and the parks, so I just want to finish the race without a flare-up.

I'm also in the process of trying to strengthen the weak muscles but I know I can only do so much with just days to go.

I bought a velcro strap that goes around your leg a couple of inches above your knee. It has a little "lump" in it that pushes against the IT Band and keeps it from rubbing against bone, which is (I guess) what causes most of the pain. For a long period of time I couldn't run more than about five miles without using it, but with it on I was able to run 18 completely pain free. Might be worth a try. This is the one I bought - I found it at my local runner's store: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/PRO010/protec-athletics-it-band-compression-wrap/

THIS!!! I tell everyone about that little strap that doesn't look like it can help. It's AMAZING.

Lol....I hope you washed your mouth out with soap for cussing at your feet like that!:rolleyes2

I probably should have. But that would have required effort. :)

You should have heard the words that came out of my mouth when I put my compression socks on for the very first time a few years ago. I had been in a cast for 8 weeks because of surgery and my surgeon told me to wear compression socks as my foot was still very swollen. Since I was to wear a boot for the next 8 weeks or so, I wasn't about to wear old lady compression socks, so I bought a pair of Zoot and CEP. Do not ever try to put a compression sock on a foot that hasn't moved for 8 weeks. Really, trust me on that! :rotfl:

Oh wow that sounds difficult!

DH travels a lot for work and we finally convinced him to wear compression socks for his flights. He complains about them, though. So along with my socks I ordered him calf sleeves. I think he's going to have a rude awakening about the fact that compression things need to be tight! Not sure the sleeves will be any different than his socks, LOL.

My wife did this last year. She viewed me at the T&T then went throught the Poly walkway to the road where the half went through. She was then able to see me there and then was able to get back to the finish line to see me again there. I ran a 2 hour half marathon. I don't think she had much of a wait when getting back on the monorail to head to the finish line. That could be the only hangup in the plan. It depends on when you start and how fast you run, but they should be able to definitely see you at T&T and the other side of the Poly.

thank you! Seems like this will work for DH as well, I expect to be slower than a 2 hour 1/2 so they should have time to get back to Epcot for the finish. I know the busses stop between 5:00 - 7:00, did your wife get on a bus to Epcot before the 5:00 cut off time? Or did she have another way of getting to the TTC? Trying to get this sorted out for DH!

I only just bought calf sleeves with the intention of wearing them after. I had noticed how yummy my legs felt when I simply put knee socks on, and figured the compression would be better. The sleeves were, indeed, better.

Then on my last long run it was super-cold, and I'm not used to running in the morning and was looking to be out for 3:30 at least, so I put them on for the run and wowza did they feel nice. The only thing that bugged me was the gap between sock and sleeve, so I figured I'd get a sock. My feet haven't been overly picky about what sort of wicking-type of sock I wear, so I'm hoping that doesn't bite me in the rear, LOL. *

Yesterday I finally found (locally) the ClifShot Electrolyte Hydration lemon/lime powder. I had signed up for a Clif Pace Team for the Half and they sent a box with some samples, and that was in there. But by the time I tried it it was too late to order it! Thankfully I found last night that the local bike shop sells it. So if anyone needs some, I have a big pouch with 20 servings in it, and I'll be bringing little ziptop bags! Find me at the Expo; my redhead son and I will be there bright and early on the 8th. :) (now that I have the stuff I'm sure the Clif vendors will be selling it&will be just my luck!**)

*apparently I have a tradition for trying nearly-new things at races, despite being a firm believer in NOTHING NEW AT A RACE. For me, this seems to only apply to things I'll be eating and drinking. I don't think that anyone should be trying anything new. Even though I sort of am. Time keeps running out on this new runner!

**Also, speaking of things I could probably find at the Expo, I saw in the program that CEP will actually be there at the Expo, so they will probably be selling exactly what I just stressed out over&just my luck, but of course if I had assumed they would have what I needed, it would be the opposite luck, right? :)

thanks to both of you! I went out yesterday and bought CEP compression socks, will try them today and see....seems like everything is falling apart on me at the worst time...ran 5 the other day and now having medial tibia pain/discomfort (shin splints?) hip still not wonderful but better than last week. Ugh bad timing!

bumbershoot....I'm also running out of time to try new things!!I know it's close! But I felt the need to get a new running bra (old one not cutting it anymore) new compressions socks because I'm afraid of what my legs will feel like next week, I bought GU to try a while ago but never gave it a go...think I will hold off on that for now and stick with SPort Beans that I have used before...still working out the right breakfast to eat beforehand as well. Ahhhh! I need more time!

thanks to both of you! I went out yesterday and bought CEP compression socks, will try them today and see....seems like everything is falling apart on me at the worst time...ran 5 the other day and now having medial tibia pain/discomfort (shin splints?) hip still not wonderful but better than last week. Ugh bad timing!

bumbershoot....I'm also running out of time to try new things!!I know it's close! But I felt the need to get a new running bra (old one not cutting it anymore) new compressions socks because I'm afraid of what my legs will feel like next week, I bought GU to try a while ago but never gave it a go...think I will hold off on that for now and stick with SPort Beans that I have used before...still working out the right breakfast to eat beforehand as well. Ahhhh! I need more time!

I hope they feel great!

In a different thread I just heard the term "taper madness". Could be the meaning behind feeling like everything's falling apart. :)

oh yes get the sports bra. Definitely needed. Don't try the Gu! Too late for that! (IMO)

Breakfast is the impossible thing for me. The one morning training run I got in I was fairly fine with just a little something, and then my shotbloks and sportsbeans (must have workable options) and electrolyte drink stuff and my 2 liters of water in my backpack (and it was about 40 degrees out...it's going to be fun in Orlando if it's warmer than that).... I'm always shocked I have any room in my stomach left at the end of a long run! :scared:

The race is nearly upon us, and no posts since last week?!?! :eek:

This is it, folks - we've done the work, now it's time to play :yay: For all those already there and about to arrive at WDW, good luck and have an absolute blast!

Can anyone tell me how much the discounted park tickets were this year? I'm trying to plan for next year!

Hey everyone! Just wanted to check in and see how everyone did this weekend? I had an awesome time!! This was my first 1/2 but won't be my last for sure! I had a lot of anxiety going into the race because I didn't feel I was able to train as well as I had wanted to, and because on Wednesday my back/SI joint really flared up badly. Last minute emergency trip to the chiro before we drove to the airport helped a little but I was seriously afraid I wouldn't even be able to walk the race, never mind run it. I spent Thu/Fri foam rolling, icing and trying to take it easy, and by Saturday I felt okay (not great, but okay) I slowed my pace down considerably, made several photo stops, walked through each water stop, but otherwise I was able to run the whole thing!!! Loved every minute of it!

My daughter and I are running the princess 1/2 next month and I can't wait... I think it will be even more fun with someone else, then we both just decided to go for a Coast to Coast medal and will head to Disneyland in August for the 1/2 this summer. I think I've developed a new Disney addiction! Hope you all had as much fun!

It was hot and humid for the half, but everyone in our group finished. It was the first half for everyone in our group except for me, so I was doing a whole lot of supportive stuff to keep the team moving. My wife started experiencing IT band issues about 6 weeks ago, but she finished (though she has been paying for it since, limping).

Wish the weather could have been a bit cooler, but a very rewarding experience for us all. I think that my wife is now hooked on running (assuming her IT band issue resolves itself).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter