Official 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon

I am officially subscribing to this thread. I was going to sign up for the Disneyland 10K this year, my first ever, but we ran into a little financial snafu (husbands paycheck went down by $500 month) so I had to give up on the thought of running in that event. But I think this is going to work out better for me anyway. Not only will I have more time to save, it also gives me more time to train. I think I can actually be ready to run the entire half marathon. The Tinkerbell lands on a 3 day weekend for us too, so this can be a family trip.

Just a little about me, I am very much a novice runner. I've lost around 60 pounds in the past 2 years. I know I have a long way to go before I'm ready, so please forgive me if I ask really stupid questions, lol. I'm very excited and hope everything falls into place this time.

I am officially subscribing to this thread. I was going to sign up for the Disneyland 10K this year, my first ever, but we ran into a little financial snafu (husbands paycheck went down by $500 month) so I had to give up on the thought of running in that event. But I think this is going to work out better for me anyway. Not only will I have more time to save, it also gives me more time to train. I think I can actually be ready to run the entire half marathon. The Tinkerbell lands on a 3 day weekend for us too, so this can be a family trip.

Just a little about me, I am very much a novice runner. I've lost around 60 pounds in the past 2 years. I know I have a long way to go before I'm ready, so please forgive me if I ask really stupid questions, lol. I'm very excited and hope everything falls into place this time.

Welcome !!!! This is a great place for questions and you will find everyone is very helpful. Congrats on your weight loss.

I am officially subscribing to this thread. it also gives me more time to train. I think I can actually be ready to run the entire half marathon. The Tinkerbell lands on a 3 day weekend for us too, so this can be a family trip.

Ok - are you my long lost twin? :cool1: Ditto to all of the above. Except I am a novice walker - just talking myself into becoming a runner. :thumbsup2

BTW - my name is Debbie, I am guessing yours is as well :rotfl2:

Welcome !!!! This is a great place for questions and you will find everyone is very helpful. Congrats on your weight loss.

Thank you!

Ok - are you my long lost twin? :cool1: Ditto to all of the above. Except I am a novice walker - just talking myself into becoming a runner. :thumbsup2

BTW - my name is Debbie, I am guessing yours is as well :rotfl2:

What gave you that idea? heehee, Yes, I am a Debbie. Congrats on your weight loss as well. :)

I don't think I can really call myself a runner. Definitely more of slow jogger.

I was in Africa this past October. That elephant picture was taken in Zimbabwe. The two babies are her daughters, one was 6 and the other 3. It was an amazing experience. I wasn't nervous at all up on top - these elephants are tame and very kind. And the other animals in the wild don't realize there are humans on top of the elephants, so they go about their natural behavior. The wild elephants we saw on safari in South Africa were MUCH more intimidating - you don't realize just how massive they are and just how easily they can kill you until you are right up next to them.

How absolutely cool is that!! What an awesome experience!!

Already a thread for 2014! :thumbsup2 I'm planning to run Tink again...I'm so jealous of all the "Perfect Princesses" this year, so I want to be a Perfect Tink (or whatever they're gonna call it!) in 2016!!!

Can i join? I did Tink this year and though I thought it was gonna be a one time thing I cannot imagine not doing it next year!

Welcome to everyone just joining! Is a perfect princess someone who has run in all the princess 1/2s?

Yep! I've read that there are 324 of them and they are getting some special swag at the race this weekend...maybe a tiara, sash and a special lanyard for their medal...and I may have read they have a special tent at the race too? Sounds pretty cool to me :thumbsup2 Maybe they can call the Tinks "Perfect Pixies!" ;)

Yep! I've read that there are 324 of them and they are getting some special swag at the race this weekend...maybe a tiara, sash and a special lanyard for their medal...and I may have read they have a special tent at the race too? Sounds pretty cool to me :thumbsup2 Maybe they can call the Tinks "Perfect Pixies!" ;)

Perfect Pixies---I was thinking that too !!! Lets hope they do something for us too !!!!!

Not worried too much about the heat it's the humidity that I'm worried about. It's going to be a warm/hot Sunday. But hey--we're used to it right with the hot DL 1/2--right:rotfl2:.
I'm nervous about the airport, flight and just getting all our luggage. I'll be SO happy once we get there. :banana:

:crazy2: Hope there's no humidity for you too. Looked at the weather and that's so DL 1/2 weather! As opposed to the snow on Mt. Hamilton I saw this morning when I was driving into work. Hoping everything at the airport goes well for you too. Are you doing this luggage pickup so you don't have to wait?

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that! Fingers crossed they do something in '16.

:crazy2: Hope there's no humidity for you too. Looked at the weather and that's so DL 1/2 weather! As opposed to the snow on Mt. Hamilton I saw this morning when I was driving into work. Hoping everything at the airport goes well for you too. Are you doing this luggage pickup so you don't have to wait?

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that! Fingers crossed they do something in '16.

Thanks again :)
SNOW ---I could not believe it.

What is the luggage pickup ???
I hope we can check it all at the curb.

Thanks again :)
SNOW ---I could not believe it.

What is the luggage pickup ???
I hope we can check it all at the curb.

If you stay at one of the I site resorts and take the express shuttle, they send you yellow tags to put on your luggage when you drop it off before your flight and they pick it up for you.

I am about 95% sure I am in for this one. This would be my first trip to DL and my first runDisney event. I would like to do it it start the quest for my C2C and like some of you follow it up with the Wine & Dine in Nov. Getting excited by the possibility!!:cool1:

Hoping to run this one before the princess so I can coast to coast! Anyone know of any hotel deals on the west coast?

I am about 95% sure I am in for this one. This would be my first trip to DL and my first runDisney event. I would like to do it it start the quest for my C2C and like some of you follow it up with the Wine & Dine in Nov. Getting excited by the possibility!!:cool1:

:wave2: Hi! You'll love this one and should really do it! It's a ton of fun.

Hoping to run this one before the princess so I can coast to coast! Anyone know of any hotel deals on the west coast?

DL is way different than WDW in that all the hotels surround the resort so no need for shuttles. However, if you stay at a non-resort hotel, some of the hotels offer shuttles during race weekend, but it is to the park entrance so you would still have to walk to and from the race staging area before and after the races. DTD is about 1/3 of a mile and then it's about 1/4 to the race area from the end of DTD.

There are the 3 resort hotels: the Grand California which is the most expensive and closest to the parks, the DL Hotel which is 2nd $ and home to the expo as well as close to the monorail which will take you to DL, and then Paradise Pier. PP is the cheapest of the resort hotels, although still somewhat price, but it is where the staging area and finish area is (the parking lot of the hotel) and a short walk to the hotel. Pricewise, the GC will be mid-high $300s, DL will be higher $200s and PP will be mid $200s.

However, you don't need to stay in the resort hotels, then are tons of others that are a lot cheaper and not too far away. Most of the hotels are on Harbor Blvd and Katella Ave which are the surrounding streets of the parks. The closest for the race is the BW Stovall's Inn, it's on the corner of Katella and DL Drive across the street from the PP Parking Lot. They haven't opened the calendar for that far out yet, but if you have a AAA card you can get a room for $100-$125 a night. That's about what other hotels cost as well some a little more, some a tad less. I've stayed at the BW Park Place, which is on Harbor right at the entrance to the parks and where the shuttles drop you off, the past 2 years and w/ my AAA card, it's been $90/night for king or 2 double beds.

For the DL races, they work w/ Get Travel for hotel room discounts, but I've found that aside from the resort hotels, I can get rooms cheaper on my own w/ my AAA card. Some hotels also do the Entertainment Card discounts as well. They also are the company that offer discounted park tickets as well.

Hotels should start opening their calendars in the next month/month and a 1/2. I would just start playing around when you have time to get an idea of where you'd like to stay and just keep an eye out. I did notice last year when booking a room that the price increments started going up a bit faster b/c race weekend is also MLK weekend, but you won't have a problem finding a room. If you have any questions about some of the specific hotels once you've picked some out don't hesitate to ask ~ I've stayed at a good majority of them over the years. :goodvibes

Took this off the FB DDD page to give you an idea and help you out: Area map of hotels

Kim Thank you so so much! I live on the east coast, and doing the tinker is a big deal to me! I can get airfare cheap. I really want to run this race so that the princess the day before my wedding is a coast to coast :). I've also never been to DL, but I've been to DW several times. This is my last single lady hurrah!

The first year of Tink we stayed at Paradise Pier. Easy to get to the expo at the Disneyland Hotel. We knew when to head to the start line because we could look out the window and see everyone lining up. Down to the street and voila! Then just an easy walk back to the hotel from the finish line. The only drawback was trying to get back to our room. The lobby was jammed and all the elevators were packed. :crazy2:

This past Jan, I went solo and stayed at the Red Lion. Easy, cheesy. It was a bit of a walk to the expo and start line, but nothing outrageous. I had breakfast included in the price of my room and by the time I got back to the hotel they were still serving! Woohoo! Food! :cheer2: Plus it's a very easy walk to DL. No need for a shuttle to the park or to rent a car. If I do Tink again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Red Lion. ::yes::

This will be my first trip to Disneyland and CA. I'm hoping to be able to do the Tinkerbell Half with the PHM in Feb for my C2C. I'm so excited about these!! I'll be doing this solo so any info would be great bout hotels, shuttles, etc. If anyone else is doing this solo, a meetup would be fun.....if anyone is interested.:confused3

Thanks to Kim3339......thats exactly the info I needed on hotels.

I'm in! I am doing ToT 10 miler & 5K (solo) in Oct, then Tink 1/2 in Jan (solo) & Princess 1/2 in Feb (solo) in hopes of getting my C2C ;)

I've never been to DL, so this is all new to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter