Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

Hi all. I just read that registration for 2015 marathon weekend opens on 4/22. DH loves the idea of the Dopey challenge, but I'm trying to convince him to do "just" the marathon since I want to run the 10k and we'll have DD (11) with us. How quickly do the races fill up? Also, would we need to make a reservation at one of the WDW resorts right away, or can we wait awhile since it's an otherwise off-peak weekend?

Sorry for the basic questions, but this will be our first time participating in marathon weekend and we haven't been to WDW in years!

How quickly do the races fill up - as another poster said, it depends. Dopey and the 10K filled quickly last year because they were newer races. The 5K filled quickly because a lot of those spots were taken by Dopeys.

This year I'd expect Goofy to fill quickly because it's an anniversary year, and it sounds like a lot of people that did Dopey this year will do Goofy instead. Your best bet is to watch the Marathon Weekend page on runDisney.com - when the registration is 50% full they will post that and will update the percentages as the races continue to fill. Their Facebook page is also a good place to watch as well. You really need to get serious about pulling the trigger when a race is 90% full...plus, the earlier you sign up, the cheaper the registration costs. If you want to run the 10K I would definitely sign up for that as soon as registration opens - 10K races are newer offerings from runDisney and seem to be very popular.

Also, would we need to make a reservation at one of the WDW resorts right away, or can we wait awhile since it's an otherwise off-peak weekend? - I'm not sure about this one. Personally I'm making my resort reservation ASAP so I get the resort I want! Plus...there will, what, 50K+ runners and their families there as well, so I'm not sure how "off-peak" it really is.

Welcome!! :goodvibes

Hi all. I just read that registration for 2015 marathon weekend opens on 4/22. DH loves the idea of the Dopey challenge, but I'm trying to convince him to do "just" the marathon since I want to run the 10k and we'll have DD (11) with us. How quickly do the races fill up? Also, would we need to make a reservation at one of the WDW resorts right away, or can we wait awhile since it's an otherwise off-peak weekend?

Sorry for the basic questions, but this will be our first time participating in marathon weekend and we haven't been to WDW in years!

The marathon sold out in early August last year. I think Goofy sold out before that.

You can probably wait to make reservations. I do not think I made reservations until late June, and even when Disney had a general room discount, I was still able to get my room at the cheaper price in October.

Also, would we need to make a reservation at one of the WDW resorts right away, or can we wait awhile since it's an otherwise off-peak weekend? - I'm not sure about this one. Personally I'm making my resort reservation ASAP so I get the resort I want! Plus...there will, what, 50K+ runners and their families there as well, so I'm not sure how "off-peak" it really is.

Welcome!! :goodvibes

You can wait until December and still get a great room. If you are staying on-site with a package, you can't even book until August anyhow.

Thanks for your responses! I'm fine with signing up for the races the day registration opens. DH also does triathlons, and some of the popular ones sell out in hours. I just wanted to make sure we're not looking at that type of situation! I think we'll probably book room-only, so it sounds like it can't hurt to make a reservation right away since we can get the price adjusted if the rates are discounted.

If you're going through Disney you only need put a deposit down now so you can keep saving. And if/when a discount comes out later you can just call and have it applied.

Good to know. I'm much more familiar with DCL's pricing, and in the recent past they have begun offering deals after the paid in full date that are only for new reservations.

Your best bet is to watch the Marathon Weekend page on runDisney.com - when the registration is 50% full they will post that and will update the percentages as the races continue to fill. Their Facebook page is also a good place to watch as well. You really need to get serious about pulling the trigger when a race is 90% full.

Thanks for the heads up. It's great that they let people know when the races are filling up!

The marathon sold out in early August last year. I think Goofy sold out before that.

Ah... I'm trying to convince DH to do the Goofy, so I'll make sure we get him registered right away.

You can wait until December and still get a great room. If you are staying on-site with a package, you can't even book until August anyhow.

Thanks. I didn't realize you had to wait that late when booking a package. We're planning to spend a day at Universal, so we're leaning toward room-only.

Thanks for your responses! I'm fine with signing up for the races the day registration opens. DH also does triathlons, and some of the popular ones sell out in hours. I just wanted to make sure we're not looking at that type of situation! I think we'll probably book room-only, so it sounds like it can't hurt to make a reservation right away since we can get the price adjusted if the rates are discounted.
Oh good! Not sure if you saw yesterday, but the Disneyland 10K sold out in an hour or something. I know Disneyland races always sell out quickly, but still...I'm very curious to see if the same will happen at WDW!
Ah... I'm trying to convince DH to do the Goofy, so I'll make sure we get him registered right away.
This is the other one, besides the 10K, that I'm thinking will sell out quickly this year...:confused3

Last year I was going back and forth as to whether or not I wanted to do the Dopey or Goofy (I ended up doing Goofy since this was going to be a family vacation and Goofy was on my bucket list). I know Dopey sold out fast. The other races did not sell out nearly as fast. In fact I'm pretty sure Goofy didn't sell out until the early summer and the the other races sold out shortly after.

When we first booked out hotel we were planning on staying off property. However, things changed and I found a good deal at a moderate resort on property. This was in mid October. I went through a travel agency and as far as I knew there were plenty of rooms. However, I would book something sooner rather than later.

We are already planning on going back next year (I want to do Dopey) and I plan on registering for the race as soon as it opens. We will probably work with the same travel agent since she did such a great job for us and will put a deposit down sometime this summer.

I have a feeling Dopey will sell out faster than last year just because people know what to expect and it's the 10th anniversary of Goofy and people will not only want the Dopey medal but the 10th anniversary Goofy medal as well. If you plan on just doing the marathon and the 10K you'll have time to decide.

Last year I was going back and forth as to whether or not I wanted to do the Dopey or Goofy (I ended up doing Goofy since this was going to be a family vacation and Goofy was on my bucket list). I know Dopey sold out fast. The other races did not sell out nearly as fast. In fact I'm pretty sure Goofy didn't sell out until the early summer and the the other races sold out shortly after.

When we first booked out hotel we were planning on staying off property. However, things changed and I found a good deal at a moderate resort on property. This was in mid October. I went through a travel agency and as far as I knew there were plenty of rooms. However, I would book something sooner rather than later.

We are already planning on going back next year (I want to do Dopey) and I plan on registering for the race as soon as it opens. We will probably work with the same travel agent since she did such a great job for us and will put a deposit down sometime this summer.

I have a feeling Dopey will sell out faster than last year just because people know what to expect and it's the 10th anniversary of Goofy and people will not only want the Dopey medal but the 10th anniversary Goofy medal as well. If you plan on just doing the marathon and the 10K you'll have time to decide.

Thanks for the info! DH can't decide whether to sign up for Goofy or just the marathon, but he has some time to decide. I'm hoping Disney Visa cardholders get to register early again this year because we will be on a cruise starting on 4/19! I definitely don't want to have to deal with registering on vacation, especially with the slow, unreliable internet connection on the ship.

Thanks for the info! DH can't decide whether to sign up for Goofy or just the marathon, but he has some time to decide. I'm hoping Disney Visa cardholders get to register early again this year because we will be on a cruise starting on 4/19! I definitely don't want to have to deal with registering on vacation, especially with the slow, unreliable internet connection on the ship.

Disney Visa cardholders are not included in this year's registrations.

I'm doing the marathon - it will be my first and it will be about 2 weeks after my 40th birthday. Eek! I'm getting excited and freaked out at the same time!

I am really debating doing the Dopey. It sounds like so much fun to do at least once but is it worth the money and time? I know my friends are doing the Goofy but I am thinking why not?! Help?!!!

I am really debating doing the Dopey. It sounds like so much fun to do at least once but is it worth the money and time? I know my friends are doing the Goofy but I am thinking why not?! Help?!!!

To me, Dopey was worth the time and money, but you really have to want it. The months and months of training meant I had to make a lot of sacrifices in my social life. However, I would not trade the experience I had for anything in the world.

I am one of the one and done crowd. I agree with the prior comments about the toll the Dopey takes on you during training and during Marathon Weekend. In spite of that I am glad I did it. I think most people will tell you that you will not regret doing it but, may regret it if you don't.

When it comes these types of races I view it as an experience rather than a race. Sure it's expensive, but it's Disney and you pay to run through the parks, character stops, race day and expo transport, etc. This race was built around a vacation so I found it no different than what I would have paid if I went to New York to see a Broadway show or spent a long weekend in Vegas. I ran Goofy and loved every minute of it and felt it was worth it. I enjoyed the training and the challenge of doing both races.

Next year I plan on running Dopey with some friends. I know that will be a one and done. It is expensive and will be a week long thing but after seeing others run it this year I totally felt I should have been running it.

As far as training goes you don't have to do anything different between the Dopey or the Goofy.

For the actual races the Dopey requires you to get there no later than Wednesday and the Goofy you can get there on Friday. You have to get up 2 extra days before 4 AM and you really just have to sit around those first 2 days after the races.

It was worth doing once to say I did it but I will stick to Goofy from now on. I get to save some money as well.

I am in for Marathon 2015. I ran the great frozen marathon of 2010, and have decided to do it every five years until I am old enough to win my age group. I figure that should happen around age 95! I have done several shorter Run Disney races and other (gasp!) non-Disney races since I started running in 2008. I'm ready for this challenge again. Before we know it, Coach Charles will be sending out the reminder to cut our toenails, and we'll be on our way to WDW! Lotta miles between now and then....

Here we go!

As far as training goes you don't have to do anything different between the Dopey or the Goofy.

For the actual races the Dopey requires you to get there no later than Wednesday and the Goofy you can get there on Friday. You have to get up 2 extra days before 4 AM and you really just have to sit around those first 2 days after the races.

It was worth doing once to say I did it but I will stick to Goofy from now on. I get to save some money as well.

I agree 100%. I will probably do Dopey again someday, but for next year, I will be proud to be Goofy! The 3AM wake up calls 4 days in a row were a killer for me. If I didn't go to the park, it wouldn't have been as big of an issue, but I can't go to Disney and not spend time in the parks.

I guess the bottom line for me is if you're going to do Dopey more than once, you may as well try to be perfectly Dopey for those extra bonuses.

I guess the bottom line for me is if you're going to do Dopey more than once, you may as well try to be perfectly Dopey for those extra bonuses.

Thought about that but at what year are they actually going to acknowledge someone as being perfectly Dopey? I would guess it would be 5 years at best and I don't plan on running marathons that much longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter