"Official" 2018 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Spooktacular Celebration!

My daughter will be a Junior this year. I know I shouldn't do it, but we will just talk to her teachers before we go and let them know she will miss a few days. Hopefully we can get the work done BEFORE she leaves.

We took our daughter out twice in elementary, and once in middle school...we thought we wouldn't take her out in high school so as not to impact her college chances. But our daughter will be a senior, and so won't matter as much as it would have freshman-junior year. She isn't planning to go to an exclusive or Ivy League school, and as of May, her transcript plus SAT/ACT scores qualify her to receive guaranteed admission to two of the three schools she is interested in (her top two choices...the third is just there to make my alumni father happy she is considering it)...and both of those start making scholarship offers in November...so her fall senior year grades won't impact admission or scholarship consideration...as long as she passes, she is good.

She went a couple years ago with her high school band...but it was before Pandora opened, and they didn't get to spend too much time in her favorite parks...and the Halloween party has always been on her list...and we had to cancel a Memorial Day trip to LA we had planned and the flight credits expired this Nov.

I honestly think the most grief we are going to get is from the band director and color guard instructor as she will miss a couple of rehearsals...as if right now, they didn't have a competition set for the Saturday we fly out, but that might change...we aren't going to let them know until closer so they don't punish her by making her an alternate.

Darn you people.

I noticed this thread way back in February but I didn't plan on doing a Halloween party this year so I never read any of it. Then today I thought I'd take a look and see what kind of costumes people were coming up with, what cool merch was going to be available, etc., just for fun, and NOW I WANT TO GO!

And I'm quite sure no one here is going to try to talk me out of it...

Just a heads up about the Space Mountain overlay.....hopefully first party goers can update, but with other events the ride is closed while they change it up.

For instance with the Star Wars Galactic Nights parties, they had to close down the RnRC for about an hour to get the Star Wars overlay in place. If they have to follow this for MNSSHP to get the Halloween overlay on Space Mountain, folks may need to adjust their plans/expectation for the night about what time they will be riding that ride.

Just a heads up about the Space Mountain overlay.....hopefully first party goers can update, but with other events the ride is closed while they change it up.

For instance with the Star Wars Galactic Nights parties, they had to close down the RnRC for about an hour to get the Star Wars overlay in place. If they have to follow this for MNSSHP to get the Halloween overlay on Space Mountain, folks may need to adjust their plans/expectation for the night about what time they will be riding that ride.

I would expect them to close it early for day guests in order to prep it then. But my expectations do not necessarily match what Disney does. ;)

I figured they would do the switch from 6:00-7:00.

We are finally settled on our costumes! There are eight of us, four grownups and four kids. Following a Pokémon theme (all four kids are obsessed!) we’ll have grownups loosely costumed as Ash, Serena, Jessie and James, and kids as Pikachu, Squirtle, Meowth and Wobbuffet. (Couldn’t convince our Squirtle to be a Fennekin...)

We are finally settled on our costumes! There are eight of us, four grownups and four kids. Following a Pokémon theme (all four kids are obsessed!) we’ll have grownups loosely costumed as Ash, Serena, Jessie and James, and kids as Pikachu, Squirtle, Meowth and Wobbuffet. (Couldn’t convince our Squirtle to be a Fennekin...)
I love it!

I'm just making my 3 Fps for the pre-MNSHHP time, are there any rides that offer something special during MNSHHP time that I should wait to ride during party time instead of using a FP prior to the event starting?

I'm just making my 3 Fps for the pre-MNSHHP time, are there any rides that offer something special during MNSHHP time that I should wait to ride during party time instead of using a FP prior to the event starting?
Space, tea cups, and I believe pirates have been announced to have extra effects this year.

In addition to the ones that have special effects, remember that not all rides are open for the party, so you may want to FP some of those for the 4:00-6:00 time.

So I emailed guest services asking if I could get confirmation if BTMR will be open or closed during the party and if it was indeed closed, it would be highly disappointing and whatnot. I got this email back:

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad attraction will be open all-day including the time when the Mickey's Not-So Scary Halloween Party. I am not seeing any annoucements for refurbishments for this attractions during the Fall season.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly by replying to this email. We will be more than happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Paco Gregory
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

So I emailed guest services asking if I could get confirmation if BTMR will be open or closed during the party and if it was indeed closed, it would be highly disappointing and whatnot. I got this email back:

The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad attraction will be open all-day including the time when the Mickey's Not-So Scary Halloween Party. I am not seeing any annoucements for refurbishments for this attractions during the Fall season.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly by replying to this email. We will be more than happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Paco Gregory
I would love for this to be opened!!!!

Sincerely,

Paco Gregory

Well that is good to hear! Hopefully Paco is right!

Sincerely,

Paco Gregory

If it will be open, the website needs to list it as being open! Some of us on this board have previously contacted Disney about btmrr being open/closed during the party, but I don't believe any of us received an answer as definitive as this. But still, CMs are so often so wrong, sadly. Hopefully this is true though. Fingers crossed!

My daughter will be a Junior this year. I know I shouldn't do it, but we will just talk to her teachers before we go and let them know she will miss a few days. Hopefully we can get the work done BEFORE she leaves.

Most schools are good about this. Some are really anal about it because they can’t excuse absences for vacation and if your kid isn’t excused they don’t get paid for them. My nephews school does a really cool program that allows students to take vacation and have all the work from the teachers prior to the trip. In order to make sure they are doing it they required them to email homework in through out the time they were out. Everyday we took a break at the hotel and required them to do 2 hours of home work each day in the room. It worked out great. Have a great trip

We've never had any issues before. End of the semester finals are during the last week in October from here on out. Super sucks, total bummer and there's no way I'm pulling my son out during this time. :sad2:

We've never had any issues before. End of the semester finals are during the last week in October from here on out. Super sucks, total bummer and there's no way I'm pulling my son out during this time. :sad2:

Our schools no longer excuse vacations but my daughter (will be a junior as well) will not miss school unless she is ill.
She has a 4.0 and is very anal about her schooling.
I suppose that is a good thing, but it stinks for Disney vacations.
No more pulling them from school...
( until she is off to college then I can pull my youngest until he is older :ssst:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter