• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Official" 2018 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Spooktacular Celebration!

Honestly, August 17th, when we first started our plans, we actually attempted Stitch and Space, but those lines were out of both buildings before 7. (I think Space said 60 minutes at 6:50)
We headed to Pirates and saw the lines EVERYWHERE for everything. (candy lines, popcorn buckets, characters lines, Pirates was clear our by the stroller parking)
I was EXTREMELY nervous and feeling overwhelmed and disappointed.
A CM reassured me the line for Pirates was only 15 minutes, so we got in line clear back by stroller parking. And I timed it. Yep, it was exactly 15.
We then headed to Splash and BTMR, both were under 10. By that time we did the bridge walk, hit a candy stop, and the Grave diggers, and then headed to the Flagpole.
After fireworks candy lines were very low, so that was when we got our bags filled to the tops. :)
We did watch the Hocus Pocus after the fireworks instead of at midnight, which was my original plan, but we found a clearing in front of the Hub, so decided to hit it then.
I didn't have plans to do BTMR and Splash, we were hoping to meet Jafar and Stitch. Had to change it up. (My teens will not wait in a 30 minute plus line to meet a character.)
I underestimated the lines for those. :rolleyes: (My DD22 and I walked up to Jafar 2 years ago, and had 1 group in front of us.)

Having the dessert party with parade view, honestly, gave us a breather. We were able to sit, and relax, and be away from all the crowds. It saved our night I think, from the reports I have read elsewhere. From that point on, it never felt "crowded" to us.

We did attempt to get in line for SDMT at 11:58 but it was packed, so we hit more candy stations instead. :)
Walked out and got my Headless horseman magic shot, the only magic shot I really wanted.

I guess, if you have a party like last Friday, have a back up plan ready and be prepared to change up your plans on the go.
We had no intentions of other meets, or magic shots, so our plans aren't like most.
Yes, I was naive in my thinking that Stitch would be under 30 at the beginning of the night. I underestimated the love for Elvis Stitch...:stitch2:

(Just posting this to maybe help those with future sellout parties that have similar plans.)

We went last night and enjoyed it but we have no previous parties to compare. My son's list was pretty simple so we did everything he wanted! We weren't let in a minute before 4:00 but did 5 rides (3 with fastpass) and then dinner at Columbia Harbor House before 7:00

Were the QS restaurants generally serving until 6 or 7? We have a 7DMT FP for our party night but probably won’t make it off the ride until close to 6. Do you think we would have time to make it back to CHH or Pecos Bills to grab some food before they stop serving their regular menu?

about how long did the Stitch line take after the fireworks?
We didn’t time it but about 20-30 min. We had been in the line at 10pm but after waiting for a few minutes decided that we didn’t want to miss the fireworks. It was much longer when we were in it the first time. There were points where people took far too much time doing pics with this person then that person, then these two, then this group, then..... There are also people that literally get a hug, take one pic and go.

This is so true. And having a plan helps immensely. Even on non sellout nights, party exclusive events will be crowded. That’s why the majority of people go to these events, so that's where the masses will be found. People expecting to walk around an empty park will leave disappointed. That’s why these boards are so important, IMO. They help people better plan their nights and know when to do what to avoid as much of a wait as possible. I always feel so bad for people who didn’t know they could get in at 4, or didn’t realize certain characters start meeting before 7. Thank you to everyone here for reporting their experiences for the rest of us to build from!!
You would recommend getting there at 4 then? I was thinking my kids might be fried by 10 if we got there that early...Ugh. This is complicated. I see benefits to both. :rolleyes2

My wife and I attended last night. ...

It was way too crowded. It was difficult to even walk around pretty much all night, and not just in the hub. We really regretted going, and are very apprehensive about our October Party now.

We go to a Party almost every year, and this was by far the most crowded one we have attended.

You would recommend getting there at 4 then? I was thinking my kids might be fried by 10 if we got there that early...Ugh. This is complicated. I see benefits to both. :rolleyes2

I went to the first MNSSHP, which was officially sold out, and when I was walking around it didn't feel crowded to me. I had no difficulty walking around. I got a seat at a table between Main Street Bakery and the castle (to eat my cupcake and cheesecake), which surprised me; I thought all of those tables might be full. I walked onto Pirates after the fireworks. The only time I had to wait to trick or treat was the first one I went to, around 7:15; for all the other ones, the lines moved pretty quickly.

As I have mentioned, my back was bothering me when I stood in line so I skipped most of the character photos. I have an AP, so I didn't bother doing any rides. I did meet Cinderella in her regular spot between 6:30 and 7:00 and there was only 1 family in front of me. She was not there special for the party; meeting her was like doing a ride.

I am DVC as well as AP, so I could have gotten to MK as early as I wanted. I went in the morning, then went back to my hotel to rest. I arrived at MK for the party at about 6:15. I saw the headless horseman for the second parade and that's when I left. Too hot, too tired, too cranky to continue.

As I have mentioned before, there is no way I would try to get there early and stay until the end -- not unless you are in excellent health, you have a lot of stamina, and you are used to Florida's summer weather.

My attitude toward MNSSHP, as well as everything at Disney, is that it's supposed to be fun. There is no reason to push yourself beyond the point that it is fun. Everything that you can do prior to 7:00 pm can be done at another time. So to the person who thinks their kids would be fried by 10:00 if they arrived at 4:00 -- my advice is, don't arrive at 4:00.

Not sure the ages of your kids - and of course we all have different party motivations/itineraries - but mine are now 8 and 4 (ages ranging from 3-7 over MNSSHP travels the last few years) and I'm pretty lame and don't plan to show up until 7pm+. I know I miss out on a lot of "party stuff" - but being in the MK from 4pm-12am is not a recipe for success for us. So instead, we rest up, have a solid dinner somewhere outside of MK, wait until 7ish, costume up, and head in.

In a perfect world, I do like to still be in the MK until the end... so I trade off early time for late time - a "stay up late" splurge for the kiddos.

Admittedly, our party plans mostly involve rides, treat trails, one or both parades, fireworks, and overall atmosphere. We historically have not done characters or anything that takes a major time commitment/plan.

Sorry... rambling post, but just one family's perspective. :-)

Not sure the ages of your kids - and of course we all have different party motivations/itineraries - but mine are now 8 and 4 (have been 3-7 in MNSSHP travels over the last few years) and I'm pretty lame and don't plan to show up until 7pm+. I know I miss out on a lot of "party stuff" - but being in the MK from 4pm-12am is not a recipe for success for us. So instead, we rest up, have a solid dinner somewhere outside of MK, wait until 7ish, costume up, and head in.

In a perfect world, I do like to still be in the MK until the end... so I trade off early time for late time - a "stay up late" splurge for the kiddos.

Admittedly, our party plans mostly involve rides, treat trails, one or both parades, fireworks, and overall atmosphere. We historically have not done characters or anything that takes a major time commitment/plan.

Sorry... rambling post, but just one family's perspective. :-)

No, this is great. I think we will be in the same boat. I think there are only a few characters they will care to meet. We are doing Epcot earlier in the week, so they may be charactered out by party night anyway. My original plan was just what you said, good dinner before, costumes, and head over for 7. I think I need to stop reading and just do what I planned. My brain is overloading!

Were the QS restaurants generally serving until 6 or 7? We have a 7DMT FP for our party night but probably won’t make it off the ride until close to 6. Do you think we would have time to make it back to CHH or Pecos Bills to grab some food before they stop serving their regular menu?

Definitely! I think we walked in to CHH at around 6:30ish. It was busy but we were out by 7:05.

No, this is great. I think we will be in the same boat. I think there are only a few characters they will care to meet. We are doing Epcot earlier in the week, so they may be charactered out by party night anyway. My original plan was just what you said, good dinner before, costumes, and head over for 7. I think I need to stop reading and just do what I planned. My brain is overloading!

Haha! Well, good luck. The good dinner before thing is key for us - that has backfired on me before. Like my mom said... candy is not a real dinner. :-)

My children are 7 and 2 and we arrived at 4:00. My husband and 2 year old left at 9:45 after the first parade. My son made it until 11:55 with a 20 minute nap waiting on the second parade to start.

I didn’t think it was crowded. Yes I agree with long treat lines at the beginning but if you wait later in the evening trails were empty. I met Belle and Gaston with no wait. Multiple picture stops again no wait. I have done a Tuesday, Thursday, and now Friday party and they all seemed the same in crowds. There were multiple rides down which can cause the park to feel crowded.

What time did you meet Gaston & Belle?

Walked out and got my Headless horseman magic shot, the only magic shot I really wanted.

Thank you for your wonderful report! Good to hear about the magic shot at the end of the party. Hoping they’ll still be in Main Street/the entrance after the last Hocus Pocus show.

HalloWishes Dessert Party only grants you reserved viewing for the fireworks right?
Not the parade?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter