"Official" 2018 Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - Holiday Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went for our first time last night and had a wonderful time. Yes, it was an exclusive event with thousands of our closest friends, but we went with a patient, can-do attitude and had a blast. Our objective was to see shows, eat and drink goodies, and be festive. We did not go on any rides, but planned where to be at what time to get the best spots we could for shows, fireworks, and parades. Do not fret, plan and enjoy.

How long did you end up waiting for shows etc? Sold out nights seem to be a bigger step up than previous years now.

See post 1. You can make 3 fastpasses with windows from 3:30-4:30, 4:30-5:30 and 5:30-6. FP are not available after 6pm. There is some risk of scheduling fastpasses. Some people have had the last day of their fastpasses canceled later on because the system thought they had more days booked than the length of their ticket. If you do make fastpasses, do it after you schedule magic express. That has seemed to be the trigger for some people to have fp cancelled.

Thanks we are going tomorrow night. Staying at Dolphin. You think I would be good to schedule whatever I can today? I haven’t because I was afraid of what you said might happen would actually happen.

Thanks we are going tomorrow night. Staying at Dolphin. You think I would be good to schedule whatever I can today? I haven’t because I was afraid of what you said might happen would actually happen.
Most likely you will be ok. The problem seems to happen when people contact Disney to change or update info on their trip. At this point you shouldn’t have to call Disney so they shouldn’t flag it accidentally, but don’t quote me on that.

I’m a bit confused. We are going for the party on 12/18. It’s our only ticket. We do not have any other park tickets. I can not book any fast passes even if we plan to arrive at 4:00, correct??

I’m a bit confused. We are going for the party on 12/18. It’s our only ticket. We do not have any other park tickets. I can not book any fast passes even if we plan to arrive at 4:00, correct??

And you have nothing to worry about since you don’t have any risk with it interfering with any other park tickets/other booked FPs during your trip (since you don’t have any). You’re all good.

So I am doing Tony's on the 7th (a Friday). Despite lukewarm reviews on here, I'm going to stick with it - I'm actually doing 2 MVMCP's, the 6th and the 7th (I'm a solo traveler, so the $$ isn't as painful as if I were travelling with family). I have a parade mat I will use during the parades/shows (it's small, just a small piece of waterproof material made for people going hiking - I haven't gotten one from Asia yet). Do you think after fireworks I can stake out a decent curb spot, wait until the major street crowds start to dissipate, make sure the CMs know I am attending Tony's, and leave my backpack and the parade blanket there while I run in to grab some snacks? I'd probably come and go, so I wouldn't leave it unattended for too long (and I'd take any wallet, etc with me).

Please update how the party is Lesley! I have it booked for DH and myself 12/16 but not sure if I want to keep it or not with the reviews that have been coming out.

I'm struggling with prioritizing my characters. Would you guys get in line pre-party for ducks or Pooh? I've been hearing ducks moves super slow, but Pooh is always busy, so I can't decide which line would be smarter to camp in and then scurry to the next. Planning to meet Nick & Judy and Mary & Bert later in the evening. This thread is awesome - thanks guys!

I attended the party on November 15th (not sold out AFAIK). I had a really good night! Did the following:

- Got in the line for Jack and Sally early, just before 4pm. There was already a fair few people inside. I'd got my wristband at Tomorrowland but found out that they were letting people join the line before 4pm and then checking their tickets and giving them their bands in line for the characters. Waited about an hour I'd say so was out just after 5.
- Got in line for the Pooh characters not long before 6pm. Again a line had already formed when I joined, it was short though. They came out about 6.30 and I was in and out before 7pm.
- Headed round to the Ducks. This was my longest wait of the night by far but it was a must do for me. The line moved soooooooo slowly because they were interacting with each guest so much. In total I waited nearly an hour.
- Went to Town Square and met Mickey because the line was only 10 minutes.
- I got a spot no problem for the earlier parade on Town Square. Managed to get a second row view behind a pushchair, just outside the theater, about 10 minutes before it started.
- Watched Totally Tomorrowland Christmas - cute show!
- Grabbed a spot for Holiday Wishes. I don't feel like you need to line up too early for this? It's not as reliant on projections as something like HEA. I am tall though which helps.
- Went snack hunting at this point. I liked the variety of treats this year and it was nice they were bagged so you could save them for later.
- Quick ride on Pirates at around 10.30pm.
- Watched the second parade from Frontierland right where it begins. Again fairly easy to get a spot here not too long before the beginning.
- Quick ride on Big Thunder after the parade.
- Watched the final Mickey show at the end of the party.

Overall had a really fun and productive night! The only character I heard about the line for was Moana, they said it was about 15 minutes just after the fireworks.

Last edited:
Sounds like you guys had a fun party though! Good info about meeting the 7D! That is number 1 priority on our list, just trying to find the best way to make it happen :) Thanks for your detailed review!

I am back from our vacation. We had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves. We woke up one morning and the GF was fully decorated for Christmas, awesome! :santa: This was our 1st time driving :car:, DH is talking about the times we could leave coming and going the next tripo_O, and I'm thinking, umm, no I'll book at a time when airfare is cheap (in my head). Ha!
We arrived around 12:50am EST 11/16 coming from CST. In bed by 2am. Late breakfast, 10:15am with plans to nap before going to party. Maintenance in the room next door so no real nap. We headed out around 1:50pm, so later than we had planned, so we went ahead and did DVC check-in ~2:20pm. APs so had planned on arriving a little earlier and picking up wristbands inside park. We have never done a party on arrival day, and definitely not after being up all night. Always done 2 parties as well. I never really made a plan since I knew we wouldn't be able to do everything in 1 party, and everything was on my priority list. Ha!:sad2:

BoG 4pm ADR, I went with time that would work the best overall, none really, 2:45 ADR would have worked better, but only night BoG worked with our week. Overall just too tired to stay the entire night like we wanted too and had planned on doing. If you can do two parties, as I've always stated, IMO, do 2!!!! Glad I didn't book Tony's, would have ben a waste. I checked before going to bed early Friday morning, and still available for 3, OP posted it sold out for 11/16, so it must have been later or as the party was going on. We did our 3 FP+ and TS before dinner. After diner....

7D: 5:45-7:05pm (DH & DD rode Barnstormer 2x and Dumbo 1x then joined me in line), Disney Jr. Jingle Jam was starting when we left.

Treats
Nick & Judy: 7:15-7:45pm
Treats

Frozen Holiday Wish @ 8:15pm, we actually watched this from the end of Main St. (We've seen it in front of castle a few times) - Corner in front Main Street Confectionary.

Parade - DH held spot while we did the Bypass (Cookies & Magic Shots). We did notice that the CMs had roped off the flagpole area, PP left, then rope was removed and OP moved in. After parade, headed to meet Sandy & Sally, 55 minute wait so decided to come back.

Moana: 9:16-9:40pm

Road PoC

Treats

Road Carpets, saw fireworks (seen from HUB several times so was not high on list)

Aladdin & Abu: 10:10-10:35pm (Right before we were to meet announced leaving in 5, 2 families in front took forever & wouldn't really leave after Aladdin walked to next family, so they took a few more photos with that family, so lady in front of us also missed them). Ended up meeting with Jasmine & Genie. :sad: Never met Abu before.

Sandy & Sally: 10:44pm (50 minute wait)

Mickey: 10:47pm (20 minute wait) - me & DD decided to meet Mickey and DH was going to stay in line for Sandy.

Slight wait so DD10 sat down, and was nodding head, asked if okay, she now had red eyes, says she's sleepy but would wait since she knew how much I wanted to meet Sandy. She'd been tired since parade but wasn't ready to go. We had 7 more days to go. I made an executive decision to leave, DH & DD asked several times if I was sure, but I could see how tired they were (me too). So we left. Overall a great night, just tired. Definitely a difference going on night that is not sold out vs going on a sold out night. Character lines not as long (1.5hr), more 30-45minutes. Treat lines not as long either, however, they move pretty fast on sold out nights. Low ride wait times except for the usual that are always longer. HUB packed, but was more manageable than on sold out night (arriving late/later), we walked up to edge of HUB from Tomorrowland bridge and watched end of Mickey's Merriest Show (good view) before heading down Main St. Was going to stay for Castle lighting since good spot & view, but wanted to do bypass before it closed, then decided to get spot for parade. Already 2-3 rows in certain places, a few families had full size blankets down, holding spots, IMO, too much. There was empty spot on curb at end of street so DH decided to stay and hold instead of going back up to HUB after bypass for castle lighting.

I did notice that the area directly in front of the tree facing the castle was already 3-4 deep for Tony's reserved area when we headed to meet Sandy at 10:45pm. The entire circle is reserved for the party, except for Magic Shots area, so PP booking Tony's will have a spot, but if aiming for the area directly in front of castle, then you will be holding spot for awhile, especially if on a sold out night, IMO, that particular space is limited. And yes PP stand up on the curb, wether you agree or disagree, it occurs and nothing to do about it, so be mindful if booking Tony's. FWIW, PP on Main St. on front stand too, so we try for curb, next to trashcan, or behind trashcan since we know everyone doesn't stay seated once parade begins.

@Cluelyss - DH not a real fan of BoG once he saw menu (didn't tell him before we left, knew how that would go). DD loved it, especially the desserts. It was good, I would go again. I felt the filet was better that the previous steak, DH thought so too. He didn't like the desserts at all. CM brought him his strawberry cupcake. LOL! DH said he would go again. I felt with the new menu we were in there longer, we were seated within minutes of checking-in.

Pluto buckets and Alien Bucket (HS) always had stock when passing carts throughout trip. Christmas Holiday Resort Mug, GF had them everyday, but not as many as on our 1st day.

Sorry for the long post. :oops:

I attended the party on November 15th (not sold out AFAIK). I had a really good night! Did the following:

- Got in the line for Jack and Sally early, just before 4pm. There was already a fair few people inside. I'd got my wristband at Tomorrowland but found out that they were letting people join the line before 4pm and then checking their tickets and giving them their bands in line for the characters. Waited about an hour I'd say so was out just after 5.
- Got in line for the Pooh characters not long before 6pm. Again a line had already formed when I joined, it was short though. They came out about 6.30 and I was in and out before 7pm.
- Headed round to the Ducks. This was my longest wait of the night by far but it was a must do for me. The line moved soooooooo slowly because they were interacting with each guest so much. In total I waited nearly an hour.
- Went to Town Square and met Mickey because the line was only 10 minutes.
- I got a spot no problem for the earlier parade on Town Square. Managed to get a second row view behind a pushchair, just outside Town Hall, about 10 minutes before it started.
- Watched Totally Tomorrowland Christmas - cute show!
- Grabbed a spot for Holiday Wishes. I don't feel like you need to line up too early for this? It's not as reliant on projections as something like HEA. I am tall though which helps.
- Went snack hunting at this point. I liked the variety of treats this year and it was nice they were bagged so you could save them for later.
- Quick ride on Pirates at around 10.30pm.
- Watched the second parade from Frontierland right where it begins. Again fairly easy to get a spot here not too long before the beginning.
- Quick ride on Big Thunder after the parade.
- Watched the final Mickey show at the end of the party.

Overall had a really fun and productive night! The only character I heard about the line for was Moana, they said it was about 15 minutes just after the fireworks.

Thanking you for the detailed breakdown of your night. What was your spot like for the final castle show? Centre? To the side? Thanks.

Is Moana at the party this year I haven't seen anything about her and my daughter really wants to see her???? If she is does anyone know how long the wait is to see her??

Is Moana at the party this year I haven't seen anything about her and my daughter really wants to see her???? If she is does anyone know how long the wait is to see her??
Yes, she meets inside the Tiki Room this year. At MNSSHP I headed to her M&G right after the fireworks and only waited about 15 minutes.

Can someone clarify that everything closes at 8 in DHS and you wait for the show at 8:30 that is on the TOT? Is that the only thing going on in DHS?

The show on TOT is called sunset greetings and plays continuously throughout the night. The fireworks show Jingle Bell Jingle Bam is at 830 and that is at the Chinese theater!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter