Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

word coming out of DL this weekend is that there may not be half marathons anymore at DL due to Anaheim police wanting more money from Disney for shutting down the streets during the half marathon races. This is why Light Side and Tink are on hold, either they come to an agreement , or it becomes a 5/10K only, or cancelled altogether.
I really hope this is not the case. Having these weekends scaled back or cancelled completely would also hurt the City of Anaheim and it's economy. I am anxiously awaiting the end of the weekend and any official reports that could come out.

word coming out of DL this weekend is that there may not be half marathons anymore at DL due to Anaheim police wanting more money from Disney for shutting down the streets during the half marathon races. This is why Light Side and Tink are on hold, either they come to an agreement , or it becomes a 5/10K only, or cancelled altogether.
That would be really sad. I've done all the Disneyland halfs at least once except the "Disneyland half" and it's always been on my bucket list--just bad timing for us because we have school age kids and live on the East Coast.
That being said, I'd hope they would at least continue the 5ks and 10ks.

I've been wondering if a 5K/10K weekend and cancellation of half marathons would be a possibility since those are the races that cause the most disruption to the Anaheim roads. I too hope it doesn't come to that, but it would be better than completing eliminating West Coast races.

no way I'm traveling to disneyland for a 5k/10k...I can run plenty of those races closer to home. I go for the half marathon or longer because then it is worth it...anaheim would be absolutely stupid if they force Disney to cancel these - they will lose so much money and all just over a disruption of a few hours. Geez, hold the race earlier in the day by 1 hour or more and it will help traffic even more. But California...stupid is nothing new.

Ack! Sorry, hit post before I meant to and don't see a delete. What I was going to add is that I hope they don't cancel because I have been working my way up to a half and haven't done one yet and was really looking forward to it.

If they go to a 5k/10k weekend, I wonder if that will eliminate coast to coast or kessel. Super bummer if so.

If the half rumors are true (and I also heard it floating around this weekend while at DL) I wonder if they could add a 15K. I know that's not as well accepted as a race distance but would be a longer third race that could be fun. Just throwing it out there as wishful thinking.

Did not hear it from anyone official. I read it here. Then I was talking to a random runner at our hotel who said he heard they heard they were discontinuing the half distance.

They're probably better off just cancelling the Superheros race and putting Star Wars in that time slot if they really can't get city approval. I believe that is the hardest Disneyland race for them to sell.

I can't even imagine how fast the Light Side 10k would sell out if there was no half marathon.

There was little race etiquette used by other runners, which I know rD cannot enforce

No course can enforce it. And etiquette problems are nothing new.

I stayed to the right like I am supposed to do

There is no such rule now. Now it's stay to the side. Either side. Faster people/straight runners want to be able to go up the middle, it seems. That's been a conversation for a couple years now on social media about running etiquette. Those of us thinking we are to stick to the right are not correct.

There is no such rule now. Now it's stay to the side. Either side. Faster people/straight runners want to be able to go up the middle, it seems. That's been a conversation for a couple years now on social media about running etiquette. Those of us thinking we are to stick to the right are not correct.
The pre-race announcers yesterday specifically said 'walkers to the right' in the race briefing before we started the DL Half. The Galloway pacer near me for most of the first half of yesterday's race was also constantly telling walkers they cam across on the course to move to the right. So whilst it may not be technically correct in the rules, so many people expect it, you are best to do it so nobody yells at you mid race (which I heard people do at least twenty times yesterday...

That's interesting because every running group I'm a part of States this is correct race etiquette. They also have the slower runner/walkers use the outside track lanes; but some people just like harp to on people and tell them they are wrong.

Has anyone on here decided to skip Light Side and plan on doing Rock n Roll Arizona instead? I'm debating doing a Dopey to AZ - because I wanted to really do something silly like Dopey Rebel, but I don't know if that's even a possibility at this point.

Does anyone want to hazard a guess when they'll make an announcement? I'm getting anxious checking all the different outlets.

Every time I get an email telling me this thread is updated I click over to see if they've announced anything. :)

Has anyone on here decided to skip Light Side and plan on doing Rock n Roll Arizona instead? I'm debating doing a Dopey to AZ - because I wanted to really do something silly like Dopey Rebel, but I don't know if that's even a possibility at this point.

We decided to cut bait on the Light Side about a month ago for the Carlsbad Half and Legoland Kids Run. I couldn't handle the waiting any longer, but I'm super excited about Carlsbad!

Does anyone want to hazard a guess when they'll make an announcement? I'm getting anxious checking all the different outlets. I'm going to say next Tuesday. I figure they need a week to analyze how last weekend went before making a decision. Purely a guess but what else is there to do now but wait, IMPATIENTLY?

Yea I think next week sometime is reasonable. Thats really close to when they Galloway training plan would start for the Rebel Challenge. Putting it off longer than that would mess that up so I'm hopeful that next week will be it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter