Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

Oh but keep in mind that if rundisney fails and anaheim is not satisfied, we may be looking at it being cancelled all together with no permits

I can't even imagine the headache associated with refunds for those who have registered and explaining this to everyone. Fingers crossed we don't get to this situation.

I can't even imagine the headache associated with refunds for those who have registered and explaining this to everyone. Fingers crossed we don't get to this situation.

I imagine it would be a nightmare if they only offer the refund in a form of a gift card. Even as a RunDisney/Disney addict, I would be really mad at that even though I know I could blow through $900 easily.

The training plan should start on September 12th.

I was thinking about the delays earlier today. If LS and Tink registration are being held up because they need to 'prove' to the city at the Disneyland Half weekend that they can re-open the streets on time - why not be honest about it and bring the runners on board with the plan? If people running these races had a better idea that their very future was at stake they might be more willing to help the cause. People at the back of the pack could think through their own strategy in terms of when to stop for photos etc, but would also be far more understanding about changes like the earlier start time and the possability of facing a shorter course if they fall behind. The flip side of going silent (the current strategy) is a public relations nightmare if it does not go their way, and the loss of goodwill towards ongoing races in FL.

Have they had troubles opening streets before? I have a hard time believing any of the rumors.

And how would they contact runners? I think most of us know how few people read everything we're signing up for. I read a ton but I still don't read everything. And most people don't read much of the info as they register at all.

Have they had troubles opening streets before? I have a hard time believing any of the rumors.

And how would they contact runners? I think most of us know how few people read everything we're signing up for. I read a ton but I still don't read everything. And most people don't read much of the info as they register at all.
Honestly it's as simple as putting a little note in the "Update" box on the runDisney page. Or even a post on the facebook page. There are a ton of people asking about it, yet they never respond, but I agree, just a simple update as to the CAUSE of the delay would go a long way here.

Honestly it's as simple as putting a little note in the "Update" box on the runDisney page. Or even a post on the facebook page. There are a ton of people asking about it, yet they never respond, but I agree, just a simple update as to the CAUSE of the delay would go a long way here.

I don't know that it's really that simple, though. Even if it's due to permitting issues with Anaheim they may not want to put that out there publicly to further stoke the fears of a cancellation. Then there's the risk of antagonizing the city departments (or city council) that they are trying to work things out with if the impression is given that they are trying to influence negotiations by going public. It's also possible that they are bound to silence by an NDA or something similar with whomever/whatever they are trying to work through. They know that they are losing runners every day that the delay goes on. Even as tone deaf as they can be, I find it very hard to believe that they are intentionally withholding information that could be made public.

I don't know that it's really that simple, though. Even if it's due to permitting issues with Anaheim they may not want to put that out there publicly to further stoke the fears of a cancellation. Then there's the risk of antagonizing the city departments (or city council) that they are trying to work things out with if the impression is given that they are trying to influence negotiations by going public. It's also possible that they are bound to silence by an NDA or something similar with whomever/whatever they are trying to work through. They know that they are losing runners every day that the delay goes on. Even as tone deaf as they can be, I find it very hard to believe that they are intentionally withholding information that could be made public.
Good point. And I hope you're correct that their hands are tied. I've run a few WDW races, but have not yet made it to Disneyland. This isn't making a great impression for me, though I'm trying to keep a positive outlook and an open mind about the whole thing! I want to cross the Kessel Run off my bucket list (or whatever it ends up being, if it changes). ;)

this whole situation has me fascinated. I keep looking at the fact that its the first race of 2018 and the earlier races in the season haven't been effected. There is, obviously, a serious problem with this race or weekend so I'm almost expecting a date change or cancellation. Its so out-of-the norm thats its gotten quite intriguing.

this whole situation has me fascinated. I keep looking at the fact that its the first race of 2018 and the earlier races in the season haven't been effected. There is, obviously, a serious problem with this race or weekend so I'm almost expecting a date change or cancellation. Its so out-of-the norm thats its gotten quite intriguing.

Tinkerbell has issues as well as they have not posted any information yet about it.

That would get a fraction of people. Especially the way Facebook works at priorotizing posts.

And what do they care? For every *you* that gets angry enough to do it there will be at least one other person willing to step into your running shoes. They have an endless supply of people willing to step in when others are irritated or outpriced.

That would get a fraction of people. Especially the way Facebook works at priorotizing posts.

And what do they care? For every *you* that gets angry enough to do it there will be at least one other person willing to step into your running shoes. They have an endless supply of people willing to step in when others are irritated or outpriced.

Lightside and Tinkerbell haven't been sell outs in a while. I don't think Avengers has ever sold out. They have oversaturated the Disneyland Race market. I know Disneyland Half sold out this year but that could be because of the new theme change. If they irritate too many people - there won't be an endless supply at their current prices.

There are a lot of things that can affect runners' decisions about this race. It is right after the holidays which have already cost people money and possibly time off. It is over a holiday weekend, so potentially more difficult to find flights and hotels the longer it goes on, not to mention price fluctuations. The are factors like requesting more time off from work, pulling kids from school, or arranging for someone to stay with them (which is now affecting someone else's schedule). I'm not saying I need a year to plan it, but coming up on the six month mark with zero information is making it far more difficult.

It's entirely possible that they are not allowed to share any information, or it's possible they do not want to based on the reasons for delay. Either way, they are losing people. Maybe they can't or don't want to share details. Maybe they can't or don't want to even give a loose idea of timeline. They could at least acknowledge people's concern. Let runners know they see it and are doing what they can to address it.

Lightside and Tinkerbell haven't been sell outs in a while. I don't think Avengers has ever sold out. They have oversaturated the Disneyland Race market. I know Disneyland Half sold out this year but that could be because of the new theme change. If they irritate too many people - there won't be an endless supply at their current prices.

People filling others' places happens even when not sold out.

And the people coming in are likely new, glad it's not sold out, and have different expectations than those who have done rd for longer.

Still just sitting here..hoping we hear something soon! In the meantime, I decided to start training for a local Half in October. I needed something to get me motivated. I haven't registered yet but have 2 months before the price goes up. Running 4 miles tomorrow which sadly will be my longest since twisting my ankle back in March.

Still just sitting here..hoping we hear something soon! In the meantime, I decided to start training for a local Half in October. I needed something to get me motivated. I haven't registered yet but have 2 months before the price goes up. Running 4 miles tomorrow which sadly will be my longest since twisting my ankle back in March.
I signed up for our local Half in early October for the same reason. Now that Light Side is looking less and less like it will happen for us I was thinking of deferring my local and signing up for Chicago. I have family who live right on the course. And I've never seen this feature in a race- as an alternative to the SAG wagon, which they have, they also give runners who don't keep the 16 min mile pace an option to divert off of Lake Shore Drive and to finish the half on the Lakefront Trail- supplied with aid stations, course marshalls, and water stops. I don't foresee needing the option, but how kind.

I had a dream over the weekend that they finally announced registration information. Alas...

I'm starting to think about just doing something for the WDW marathon, or Dopey though a charity or something, as I live on the east coast anyway. That or abandon rD entirely for the first quarter and just do Ironman New Zealand in March. Trying to exercise patience. :( Whoever speculated that we might not hear anything until the Disneyland half might be correct afterall!

This is such a bummer that days and weeks continue to go by with no news whatsoever. It's only 6 months away now, and anyone who signs up needs to have time to make travel plans. I personally am not one of those people, but I am paying attention to this because I've only done runDisney races in Florida and am anxious to get out to one in California. I fear that it may not happen if these rumors are true and they're having trouble with the city of Anaheim. I hope they get things worked out.

And to think that earlier in the year, the rumors were swirling that Dark Side would be cancelled. In the meantime, registration for that has already opened and all seems well and good on the Florida side of things.

I was checking in to see if there is anything new on this race but doesn't look like it. Right now it isnt' affecting my training since i'm already in for dopey but I've done this race every year it's been run and want to keep the streak going and I'm already in for dark side and would like to get my 3rd kessell run medal. Problem for me is I'm in Georgia and don't want to book airfare and hotel until registered.

Would be nice if they would announce something but as somebody mentioned they may not be able to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter